Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 509 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
fyras19
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I was dismissing it before but there is a very real possibility that Promising Young Woman slips into Best Picture. Especially if The Prom and News of the World flop.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

There is also the fact that at least one BP nominee has tended to come from a film that came out in the first half of the year (considering the extended timetable let’s say January to July is the first half of the year). This could very well be that film considering the circumstances.

I mean, those films will probably be Da Five Bloods and Sonic in Visual Effects, but Emma could be another one.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I wonder if Soul can sneak into BP.

I’m currently predicting it for now with the fantastic early reviews and relative lack of competition this year. It’s reviewing just as well as Inside Out, which was almost certainly 10th place in the BP list in 2015. And this year there’s very few films that can block it. That being said, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Academy snubs Pixar again.

Regardless of what happens at the Oscars, Soul will most likely be my film of the year. There’s no Fury Road to block it from my top spot this time around.

John's Best of 2020

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

I’m currently predicting it for now with the fantastic early reviews and relative lack of competition this year. It’s reviewing just as well as Inside Out, which was almost certainly 10th place in the BP list in 2015. And this year there’s very few films that can block it. That being said, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Academy snubs Pixar again. Regardless of what happens at the Oscars, Soul will most likely be my film of the year. There’s no Fury Road to block it from my top spot this time around.

Actually, I think The Force Awakens was next in line, as they got a ton of nominations, including the rather important Editing nod.

Profile picture
    Hayden
    Topics:

I think Soul has a very good chance at getting a BP nom. At this point I actually think it has the second (maybe third) best chance to win Best Picture. It’s a weird year. As long as the Academy aren’t feeling like being animated-film haters this year, I think Soul’s the dark horse. I mean… why not? It could very well come down to Nomadland Vs Mank Vs Soul. There’s a good amount of films in the circuit this year that I don’t think have a legitimate chance of winning BP (The Father, Chicago 7, Ma Rainey, One Night In Miami, News of The World, Da 5 Bloods, Minari…), yet for some reason I feel like Soul could squeak through.

Does anyone see a world in which Nomadland doesn’t land a release in time? They’re aiming for a last-minute late February release, but I think the biggest shake-up without question would be the film not making qualifications.

EDIT: Wait… does this virtual event Nomadland’s having in December make it automatically eligible? I missed the memo.

Profile picture
    Kafka_Gyllenhaal
    Topics:

EDIT: Wait… does this virtual event Nomadland’s having in December make it automatically eligible? I missed the memo.

Virtual event? What virtual event and how do I see it!?
    …Gah. Lincoln film Center screenings are all sold out.

FYC: Evie the Cow for Best Supporting Actress

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

I think Soul has a very good chance at getting a BP nom. At this point I actually think it has the second (maybe third) best chance to win Best Picture. It’s a weird year. As long as the Academy aren’t feeling like being animated-film haters this year, I think Soul’s the dark horse. I mean… why not? It could very well come down to Nomadland Vs Mank Vs Soul. There’s a good amount of films in the circuit this year that I don’t think have a legitimate chance of winning BP (The Father, Chicago 7, Ma Rainey, One Night In Miami, News of The World, Da 5 Bloods, Minari…), yet for some reason I feel like Soul could squeak through. Does anyone see a world in which Nomadland doesn’t land a release in time? They’re aiming for a last-minute late February release, but I think the biggest shake-up without question would be the film not making qualifications. EDIT: Wait… does this virtual event Nomadland’s having in December make it automatically eligible? I missed the memo.

It’s releasing in select theaters in December

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

It’s releasing in select theaters in December

Seems like December will be the virtual release only. The theatrical run will happen only in February.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I agree with Da 5 Bloods but Sonic is not ahead of Emma or anything in Best Picture…

He was referring to Sonic chances in VFX, not Best Picture.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

He was referring to Sonic chances in VFX, not Best Picture.

Oh ok. My bad!

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

Seems like December will be the virtual release only. The theatrical run will happen only in February.

Searchlight Pictures’ website literally says “in theatres December 4”

So does AMC’s website.

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Actually, I think The Force Awakens was next in line, as they got a ton of nominations, including the rather important Editing nod.

It didn’t get nominated for anything above the line tho. Inside Out was nominated for Original Screenplay. It also won an Oscar for Best Animated Film. Force Awakens didn’t win anything, even though it was heavily favored to win for Visual Effects: it lost to Ex Machina of all films.

John's Best of 2020

Profile picture
    Brayfers
    Topics:

Soul is getting a Best Picture nomination.

Letterboxd: Brayfers

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

I would actually bet some money on Soul getting into BP. It’s comfortably sitting in the top 8.

FYC:

Lead Actor: Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round)

Supporting Actress: Maria Bakalova (Borat Subsequent Moviefilm)

Supporting Actor: Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

‘Soul’ almost seems like a safe bet a this point. I’m pretty confident in it getting in this year.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.