Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 509 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
fyras19
  • Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

It didn’t get nominated for anything above the line tho. Inside Out was nominated for Original Screenplay. It also won an Oscar for Best Animated Film. Force Awakens didn’t win anything, even though it was heavily favored to win for Visual Effects: it lost to Ex Machina of all films.

Losing to Ex Machina doesn’t mean anything when Best Picture nominees The Martian, The Revenant, and Mad Max: Fury Road also lost to it. Similarly, winning Animated Film isn’t a great indicator considering only all but two films to win that category weren’t nominated in BP, and Pixar films constantly get nominated in Screenplay, and again, only two ever made Picture.

And, at least in recent years, it feels like editing is almost always taken up by Picture nominees, while Screenplay categories often have non Picture contenders in there, so the former seems like it’s more linked to the top category.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Considering we’ve brought up Ex Machina do people think Vikander might have gotten double nominated if she went Lead for The Danish Girl?

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Considering we’ve brought up Ex Machina do people think Vikander might have gotten double nominated if she went Lead for The Danish Girl?

Yes. She would’ve easily bumped Lawrence and taken up her own spot in supporting.

Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

I know it’s not going to happen, but The Forty-Year-Old Version should be in consideration for Picture, Screenplay, BActress, and SAG Ensemble. What a fantastic film. Best I’ve seen this year thus far–which is a short list but still!

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Actually, I think The Force Awakens was next in line, as they got a ton of nominations, including the rather important Editing nod.

I think if The Force Awakens were a top 10 contender for Best Picture it would’ve been nominated at PGA as blockbusters almost always do the same or better at the guilds than with the Academy. I know the movie was late breaking out but the nominations weren’t announced till early January so voters had time to see it over Christmas. Inside Out also missed PGA unlike Up and Toy Story 3 so the same applies. (Considering both Ex Machina and Straight Outta Compton were nominated there I’ve always felt their proximity to a Best Picture nomination was underestimated by many.)

This means that if Soul somehow misses PGA we can probably say goodbye to its Best Picture chances. I’m not saying I think it will, however, and it has an advantage being released at Christmas as well as having less intense competition.

Profile picture
    Edgar Pereira
    Topics:

I can’t access my Oscar nominations predictions at the predictions center… Is it just me?

Edgar Pereira
    Cinema and Popcorn
    https://cinemaandpopcorn.blogspot.com/

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

I can’t access my Oscar nominations predictions at the predictions center… Is it just me?

mine says completed as well

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I know it’s not going to happen, but The Forty-Year-Old Version should be in consideration for Picture, Screenplay, BActress, and SAG Ensemble. What a fantastic film. Best I’ve seen this year thus far–which is a short list but still!

AGREED!

Radha Blank should be rivalling Mulligan for that Comedy Globe (and I say this as someone who thought Mulligan gave my fave performance of the year).

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

Mine are not working either.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

And, at least in recent years, it feels like editing is almost always taken up by Picture nominees, while Screenplay categories often have non Picture contenders in there, so the former seems like it’s more linked to the top category.

Baby Driver and I Tonya were nominated in Best Editing in the same year. The Bourne Ultimatum won the same year that The Diving Bell and the Butterfly and Into the Wild were nominated. United 93 was also nominated the previous year. Best Editing does not always consist of Picture nominees.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

On the topic of Emma, I did some research and Emma’s Costume Designer is a 5-time Oscar nominee and 1-time Oscar winner. So I think Emma’s chances at Costume Design are high.

Also, I think Birds of Prey will be nominated for Makeup and Hairstyling, considering DC’s already gotten two nominations and one win there.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Baby Driver and I Tonya were nominated in Best Editing in the same year. The Bourne Ultimatum won the same year that The Diving Bell and the Butterfly and Into the Wild were nominated. United 93 was also nominated the previous year. Best Editing does not always consist of Picture nominees.

I Tonya was very clearly next in line for Best Picture though considering how it got Picture nominations at both the Globes and PGA, won a big Oscar and got nominated for 5 BAFTAs (3 of which it wasn’t nominated for at the Oscars) when it wasn’t a very BAFTA baity film.

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

Best Editing does not always consist of Picture nominees.

And that’s why he said “almost always”.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

Do we have any update on this?

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Anthony Hopkins- The Father
    FYC: Chadwick Boseman - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Male/Straight/BLM

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I hope I haven’t lost my 100/1 odds on Abdul-Mateen, Burstyn, Kaluuya, Kirby and Mulligan…

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.