Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 509 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
fyras19
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Updated Predictions (Not considering Billie Holliday and films without guaranteed SVOD or theatrical releases until we get further confirmation)

1. Nomadland (Searchlight)
    2. Mank (Netflix)
    3. The Father (Sony Pictures Classics)
    4. The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Netflix)
    5. One Night in Miami (Amazon)
    6. Judas and the Black Messiah (Warner Bros.)
    7. Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (Netflix)
    8. Minari (A24)

9. Promising Young Woman (Focus Features)
    10. Soul (Disney+)

11. Da 5 Bloods (Netflix)
    12. News of the World (Universal)
    13. The Prom (Netflix)
    14. Emma (Focus Features)
    15. Pieces of a Woman (Netflix)

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

Updated Predictions (Not considering Billie Holliday and films without guaranteed SVOD or theatrical releases until we get further confirmation) 1. Nomadland (Searchlight) 2. Mank (Netflix) 3. The Father (Sony Pictures Classics) 4. The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Netflix) 5. One Night in Miami (Amazon) 6. Judas and the Black Messiah (Warner Bros.) 7. Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (Netflix) 8. Minari (A24) 9. Promising Young Woman (Focus Features) 10. Soul (Disney+) 11. Da 5 Bloods (Netflix) 12. News of the World (Universal) 13. The Prom (Netflix) 14. Emma (Focus Features) 15. Pieces of a Woman (Netflix)

I think you’re overestimating A24 and Minari’s chances a little. I think after how badly they dropped the ball with everything since Lady Bird for Oscars campaigns, I am very unconvinced Minari will get what it deserves. Maybe swap it and Soul in your ordering, I think Disney will push for that hard.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

Profile picture
    Jasmine is French
    Topics:

So Chloe Zhao and David Fincher are the front runners, right?

So who is gonna get the golden boy? A female director with a great vision and a movie that echoes the zeitgeist?
    Or the visionary director who has made multiple and extraordinary movies during his career?

I dunno. Though David Fincher is my religion there is a political bastard inside me who wants Zhao to get it in the end.

Fincher will get future changes

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

The Top 8 of Mank, Nomadland, The Trial of the Chicago 7, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, The Father, One Night in Miami, Judas and the Black Messiah, and Soul feels very hard to beat at this point. If there’s a 9th nominee it will be either Minari or News of the World, but as of now I think it will just be those Top 8.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It’s so funny how 6 months ago people were talking about one of Dune or Tenet winning Best Picture…

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    fyras19
    Topics:

The Top 8 of Mank, Nomadland, The Trial of the Chicago 7, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, The Father, One Night in Miami, Judas and the Black Messiah, and Soul feels very hard to beat at this point. If there’s a 9th nominee it will be either Minari or News of the World, but as of now I think it will just be those Top 8.

We don’t know how good Jusas and the black Messiah will be, and the academy could still ignore Soul. I think we have a top 6, than those 2 + Minari and News of the world vying for at most 3 spots, and ofc we have films like Da 5 bloods, Pieces of a woman, US vs Billie Holiday and Promising young women that could get in.

It’s so funny how 6 months ago people were talking about one of Dune or Tenet winning Best Picture…

So few people were predicting Tenet to win. Most saw a nomination as a possibility back then but a win was always out of the question considering the type of film it was. Dune on the other hand isn’t a bad prediction imo, and it could have been an Oscar contender if it were released, but it got the same treatment as West side story and The french dispatch among others.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So few people were predicting Tenet to win.

That is far from the truth. People were literally shouting up and down about how Tenet was winning Best Picture on here because it was “the film that was going to SAVE cinemas”.

Profile picture
    fyras19
    Topics:

That is far from the truth. People were literally shouting up and down about how Tenet was winning Best Picture on here because it was “the film that was going to SAVE cinemas”.

IIRC there was one user (maybe two) saying that and many made fun of those claims.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

IIRC there was one user (maybe two) saying that and many made fun of those claims.

Ok. Maybe they were just very loud hehehe.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Pieces of a woman

Bold of you to try and sneak that one in there. (I agree with the rest of the films)

Profile picture
    Gabe Guarin
    Topics:

Fincher will get future changes

So will Chloe Zhao.

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

So will Chloe Zhao.

Zhao is a woman of Asian descent, primarily working in independent. It’s miracle she’s managed to get this far into an Oscar race as it is.

Sure, she’s got a Marvel movie coming up those don’t do anything for the (non-established) directors careers (Waiti being the exception but even then it looks like he’s gonna be stuck in Thor & now Star Wars are for the next decade).

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

1. Fincher
    2. Zhao
    3. Zeller
    4. C.Wolfe
    5. Isaac Chung

Profile picture
    Gabe Guarin
    Topics:

Zhao is a woman of Asian descent, primarily working in independent. It’s miracle she’s managed to get this far into an Oscar race as it is. Sure, she’s got a Marvel movie coming up those don’t do anything for the (non-established) directors careers (Waiti being the exception but even then it looks like he’s gonna be stuck in Thor & now Star Wars are for the next decade).

Zhao has four chances to win an Oscar, Fincher only has one. So what if Zhao’s win isn’t for Director? An Oscar is an Oscar.

Profile picture
    fyras19
    Topics:

Zhao has four chances to win an Oscar, Fincher only has one. So what if Zhao’s win isn’t for Director? An Oscar is an Oscar.

Fincher is actually a producer for Mank, so he technically has two chances (if he ends up being one of the producers who get nominated ofc).

Bold of you to try and sneak that one in there. (I agree with the rest of the films)

It’s a very long shot but you never know.

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.