Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 5)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 473 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
10 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
SN
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Continue in Part 5.

Profile picture
    Qoslca
    Topics:

I saw News of the World last night, and I absolutely loved it. It was masterfully directed and had brilliant, rich, sometimes breathtaking cinematography. It was very reminiscent of True Grit and The Searchers. In fact, Hanks’ performance was very Wayne-ian in itself. It was his best leading role since Captain Phillips, but I don’t think the Academy will consider it strong enough to garner a nomination. With that said, Helena Zegel was by far the standout for me. She portrayed so much depth, heart and emotion, and I’d actually be quite surprised if she doesn’t receive a nomination for Best Actress.

I expect News of the World will be nominated in almost all below-the-line categories, especially Cinematography, Production Design, Costume Design, Score (James Newton Howard’s score was a real treat to listen to), and Editing (the gunfight scene alone makes it worthy of this). I’m certain it’ll be nominated for Picture and possibly Director, but I just don’t feel it has enough “buzz” to win either of those, although who knows with the preferential ballot for Picture?

Contrary to what others have said — and who I’m not sure have even seen the film yet — I did not find it to be boring. I could name many other films from this year or the last where I was checking my watch all the way through, but this was not one of them. I did feel the script could have used a little tightening here and there, but it had enough intrigue, suspense and heart to hold my interest.

Overall, News of the World is a very solid outing from Greengrass and Hanks. I enjoyed it immensely, and would caution not to underestimate its chances come nominations morning.

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.”

“Good morning, and in case I don’t see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and goodnight.” —Truman Burbank, The Truman Show

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

1. Nomadland (Searchlight)
    2. The Father (SPC)
    3. The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Netflix)
    4. Minari (A24)
    5. Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (Netflix)
    6. Da 5 Bloods (Netflix)
    7. Soul (Disney)
    8. Mank (Netflix)
    9. Promising Young Woman (Focus Features)
    10. Sound of Metal (Amazon)

11. One Night in Miami (Amazon)
    12. The United States vs Billie Holliday (Hulu)
    13. News of the World (Universal)
    14. Malcolm and Marie (Netflix)
    15. Emma (Focus Features)

1. Chloe Zhao, Nomadland
    2. Lee Isaac Chung, Minari
    3. Florian Zeller, The Father
    4. David Fincher, Mank
    5. Emerald Fennell, Promising Young Woman

6. Spike Lee, Da 5 Bloods
    7. Aaron Sorkin, The Trial of the Chicago 7
    8. George Clooney, The Midnight Sky
    9. Paul Greengrass, News of the World
    10. Darius Marder, Sound of Metal

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

PEOPLE!!!!!

https://twitter.com/KittyCointreau/status/1343609101725691905?s=20

“We saw #JudasAndTheBlackMessiah last night & was floored by it. Fantastic #film – might be the best film i’ve seen this year. Dan Kaluuya & #lakeithstanfield are superb. Great storytelling. And great online Q&A after. Hope it wins big at the #baftas & #Oscars  #Awards #movies”

Profile picture
    Jojo1
    Topics:

PEOPLE!!!!! https://twitter.com/KittyCointreau/status/1343609101725691905?s=20 “We saw #JudasAndTheBlackMessiah last night & was floored by it. Fantastic #film – might be the best film i’ve seen this year. Dan Kaluuya & #lakeithstanfield are superb. Great storytelling. And great online Q&A after. Hope it wins big at the #baftas & #Oscars #Awards #movies”

lets goooooo

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

PEOPLE!!!!! https://twitter.com/KittyCointreau/status/1343609101725691905?s=20 “We saw #JudasAndTheBlackMessiah last night & was floored by it. Fantastic #film – might be the best film i’ve seen this year. Dan Kaluuya & #lakeithstanfield are superb. Great storytelling. And great online Q&A after. Hope it wins big at the #baftas & #Oscars #Awards #movies”

Thank god I have the movie getting in everywhere. I’m not sold on Lakeith yet due to the competition but anything is possible. Quite excited for this one.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Now this is how to campaign a February release film!

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

PEOPLE!!!!!
    “We saw #JudasAndTheBlackMessiah last night & was floored by it. Fantastic #film – might be the best film i’ve seen this year. Dan Kaluuya & #lakeithstanfield are superb. Great storytelling. And great online Q&A after. Hope it wins big at the #baftas & #Oscars #Awards #movies”

I knew it when I saw that trailer! Thank God!
    We need more “fresh” contenders now.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Since the preferential ballot started, there’s at least one film nominated for Picture/Director and at least four technical categories:

2009 – The Hurt Locker, Avatar
    2010 – The King’s Speech, True Grit
    2011 – The Artist, Hugo
    2012 – Life of Pi, Lincoln
    2013 – Gravity
    2014 – The Grand Budapest Hotel
    2015 – The Revenant, Mad Max: Fury Road
    2016 – La La Land, Arrival
    2017 – The Shape of Water, Dunkirk
    2018 – Roma, The Favourite
    2019 – Joker, 1917, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Irishman

And even before the prefential ballot, that was also the case almost every year.

So if you’re not predicting Mank, News of the World or Ma Rainey in Directing, you should reconsider that.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

PEOPLE!!!!!

https://twitter.com/KittyCointreau/status/1343609101725691905?s=20

“We saw #JudasAndTheBlackMessiah last night & was floored by it. Fantastic #film – might be the best film i’ve seen this year. Dan Kaluuya & #lakeithstanfield are superb. Great storytelling. And great online Q&A after. Hope it wins big at the #baftas & #Oscars #Awards #movies”

I’m so excited for this film!

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Why these films in particular? Maybe it’s Nomadland this year with Picture/Director and then cinematography/editing/sound/production design. And of course screenplay and actress.

Nomadland in Sound and Production Design? I don’t think so. I think it’s only getting Editing and Cinematography.

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

Since the preferential ballot started, there’s at least one film nominated for Picture/Director and at least four technical categories:

2009 – The Hurt Locker, Avatar
    2010 – The King’s Speech, True Grit
    2011 – The Artist, Hugo
    2012 – Life of Pi, Lincoln
    2013 – Gravity
    2014 – The Grand Budapest Hotel
    2015 – The Revenant, Mad Max: Fury Road
    2016 – La La Land, Arrival
    2017 – The Shape of Water, Dunkirk
    2018 – Roma, The Favourite
    2019 – Joker, 1917, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Irishman

And even before the prefential ballot, that was also the case almost every year.

So if you’re not predicting Mank, News of the World or Ma Rainey in Directing, you should reconsider that.

The direction was the worst part of that painfully, insufferably mediocre film Ma Rainey. Wolfe isn’t coming anywhere near a nomination.

FYC:

Picture: Nomadland
    Director: Chloe Zhao
    Leading Actress: Frances McDormand
    Leading Actor: Anthony Hopkins
    Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-jung
    Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Adapted Screenplay: The Father
    Original Screenplay: Promising Young Woman

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Lakeith Stanfield is coming for that Best Actor nomination and we love to see it!

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-Jung
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Maybe this is just me, but it feels like News of the World has absolutely zero buzz. It seems to have just come and gone without any fanfare.

I too think it will do well below-the-line (Cinematography, Production Design, Costume Design, Makeup and Hairstyling, and Sound all seem very likely), but I don’t see it getting anything above-the-line.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-Jung
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

WB is a messy studio, but they really know how to campaign. They have a BP nominee almost every year.

The HBO Max fiasco will probably hurt Judas chances at winning, but I have no doubt it’ll have multiple nominations if it is as good as it looks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 473 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.