Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 5)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 473 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
11 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
SN
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    SDoesNotKnow504
    Topics:

Yeah it looks like it. Minari isn’t really a foreign language film though. There’s a lot of Korean, but also a lot of English and A LOT of Korenglish.

Yeah, plus, Minari is an American film. It just so happens to be about a specific Korean-American immigrant experience in the Midwest (very unusual or ignored) and has a lot of Korean dialogue to keep the authenticity.

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

Yeah it looks like it. Minari isn’t really a foreign language film though. There’s a lot of Korean, but also a lot of English and A LOT of Korenglish.

I felt there was 70% korean ish?

I still think it is a foreign language film. I even know somebody who is not feeling like watching it because of the foreign language in it (That’s why the foreign/international categories are so important!).

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

The Editing win is heavily tied with a Sound nomination. The last Editing winner to not be nominated for Sound was The Departed, and it also happened with Crash one year before. But both were BP winners. The last non BP winner to win Editing without a Sound nomination was Witness in 1985. Even if the two categories are now merged, I don’t think that stat would’ve changed.

This just provides more evidence to support my point, since The Father and Chicago 7 are probably not getting Sound nominations and unless the Academy decides to pull a Bong-Joon Ho and give Chloe Zhao 4 Oscars in one night, I don’t think Nomadland is winning Editing.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-Jung
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

Profile picture
    fyras19
    Topics:

I just watched Nomadland and it floored me. I didn’t think I’d love it more than The rider but here I am. In terms of its picture chances, I think if Boyhood got so close and Moonlight managed to win, this’s likely our winner.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Even if Fincher is underwhelming with the critics groups, he’ll still win at the televised awards shows, trust me.

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

My personal line-up:

BACURAU [Brazil, France]

A Kino Lorber distributed production

SOUL [United States of America]

A Walt Disney Pictures and Pixar Animation Studios production

PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN [United States of America]

A FilmNation Entertainment, Focus Features and LuckyChap Entertainment production

I’M THINKING OF ENDING THINGS [United States of America]

A Likely Story and Projective Testing Service production

THE INVISIBLE MAN [Australia, United States of America]

Universal Pictures presents, a Blumhouse Productions and Goalposts Pictures in association with Nervous Tick Productions and Screen Australia production

Profile picture
    Gabe Guarin
    Topics:

How can Soul be a top 5 contender with no nominations for Acting, Directing or Editing?

Profile picture
    Ruby Sparks
    Topics:

How can Soul be a top 5 contender with no nominations for Acting, Directing or Editing?

Because the prize is called “Best Picture”.

Profile picture
    Gabe Guarin
    Topics:

Because the prize is called “Best Picture”.

I know rules change all the time especially now, but no film has in the modern age has won Best Picture without nominations for Acting, Directing, or Editing.

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

I don’t think Soul will need acting, directing, editing. I do think it’ll need screenplay.

Exactly. These stats don’t work with an animated film.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

I’m just gonna throw this out there but I highly doubt the folks in the academy who are so dumb that they had to combine the sound categories are going to be able to comprehend the subtle sound editing of tiny indie films(unless it was directed by the Coens and literally about music).

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Even if Fincher is underwhelming with the critics groups, he’ll still win at the televised awards shows, trust me.

For what?

He’s even not a Oscars darling, same for Nolan.

Oscar nomination history:
    Nolan- only 1
    Fincher-only 2
    (And Social Network & Curious Case of Benjamin are obviously better than Mank)

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    fyras19
    Topics:

For what? He’s even not a Oscars darling, same for Nolan. Oscar nomination history: Nolan- only 1 Fincher-only 2

Scorsese had 3 nomination up until Gangs of New York. He was nominated for 6 of his next 8 films. Being an Oscars darling is not set in stone.

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Scorsese had 3 nomination up until Gangs of New York. He was nominated for 6 of his next 8 films. Being an Oscars darling is not set in stone.

Ugh…you gotta be kidding me.
    The problem is this is MANK, not some Scorsese masterpieces. Scorsese won for The Departed btw.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    Brae
    Topics:

At this point it’s clear that Mank is on life support. It’s going to struggle to get a picture nomination, Oldman is slipping despite the fact that this is his vehicle… So I don’t even think Fincher is all that safe for nomination, truth be told. This film can’t survive another 2 months when there are flashier and easier options that we haven’t even seen yet coming. It’s not August anymore people

More chaotic than a soderbergh Oscars

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 473 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.