Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 5)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 473 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
SN
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Mank is so incredibly safe for Best Picture. There is literally no chance that it misses the nomination. It has no chance of winning, of course, but Foxcatcher this isn’t.

I know Mank is disappointing a bit so far, but I still can’t see it being snubbed in Picture and Director. As I mentioned before here, every year there’s at least one Picture/Director nominee with plenty of technical nominations. For now, seems like Mank is positioned to be that film this year. I think it’s more an Irishman situation than a First Man situation. First Man actually did quite well with the critics awards.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Daniel looks like a *WINNING* performance.

Kaluuya should win the Oscar just for that trailer alone lol.

I made this joke before but who would have known that being a guest star on Doctor Who could inadvertently lead you to become a frontrunner to win an Oscar more than a decade later.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

Mank is not Foxcatcher. It’s The Irishman/Roma, films that earned a ton of nominations below the line, but don’t win Best Picture because they’re films that people respect but don’t “like”.

Profile picture
    Nameizmann
    Topics:

Mank is not Foxcatcher. It’s The Irishman/Roma, films that earned a ton of nominations below the line, but don’t win Best Picture because they’re films that people respect but don’t “like”.

I agree except Mank feels like it has much less passionate supporters than Roma/Irishman.

Profile picture
    Gabe Guarin
    Topics:

Mank is not Foxcatcher. It’s First Man.

It’ll most likely be nominated for Best Picture. No two situations are alike. Put your feelings aside.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

With this new Covid variant spreading I wonder what will happen to films like The Father and <i>Nomadland </i>at all the awards and films like Sound of Metal (which in the UK is not being distributed by Amazon) and Promising Young Woman at BAFTA. Will they allow the films to have limited streaming releases or screener releases but then have a theatrical release date in the US, UK etc after the eligibility cut off point or will they just miss Oscar and BAFTA eligibility?

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    Gabe Guarin
    Topics:

With this new Covid variant spreading I wonder what will happen to films like The Father and <i>Nomadland </i>at all the awards and films like Sound of Metal (which in the UK is not being distributed by Amazon) and Promising Young Woman at BAFTA. Will they allow the films to have limited streaming releases or screener releases but then have a theatrical release date in the US, UK etc after the eligibility cut off point or will they just miss Oscar and BAFTA eligibility?

I imagine they’re going to go ahead and release their movies anyway. They’ve gotten this far and I can’t see them just wasting all that buzz.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I imagine they’re going to go ahead and release their movies anyway. They’ve gotten this far and I can’t see them just wasting all that buzz.

But the thing is for example in the UK there is no guarantee cinemas will be open for <i>Promising Young Woman</i> and <i>Sound of Metal </i>to be released in January and February. And there’s every possibility cinemas in the States will shut.

Do they go straight to streaming in the UK and US or do BAFTA (in the case of PYW and SoM) and the AMPAS give their films special consideration.

Profile picture
    Gabe Guarin
    Topics:

But the things is for example in the UK there is no guarantee cinemas will be open for <i>Promising Young Woman</i> and <i>Sound of Metal </i>to be released in January and February. And there’s every possibility cinemas in the States will shut. Do they go straight to streaming in the UK and US or do BAFTA (in the case of PYW and SoM) and the AMPAS give their films special consideration.

My guess is they go to streaming if that’s the situation they end up in.

Profile picture
    The Girls' Room
    Topics:

Does anyone think Another Round could be a surprise bigger player here for noms? It’s certainly worthy.

watch I May Destroy You

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Does anyone think Another Round could be a surprise bigger player here for noms? It’s certainly worthy.

I think so. It has been getting more and more buzz.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Does anyone think Another Round could be a surprise bigger player here for noms? It’s certainly worthy.

The distributor doesn’t help. I think it’ll be lucky to have a Best Actor nomination.

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

I think it’s a bit of a sleeper at the minute. Major crowd-pleaser and will get plenty of views as the frontrunner for International Feature. Mikkelsen is getting a lot of praise and I think his performance (in the final scene alone) has more passion than some in/ around the top 5 now like Oldman or Hanks. He’s also pretty overdue for a nom. I think he’ll get in.

I also have it getting in for Director right now and I don’t think Screenplay or a tech or two are out of the question. Picture also isn’t impossible, but I’d say it’s still unlikely.

Profile picture
    Rishabh Chaturvedi
    Topics:

I’m honestly all here for Thomas Vinterburg pulling off another Pawlikowski for Cold War in Best Director, not to mention Mikkelsen in Actor, even though it’s admittedly unlikely to happen.

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Cold War received a MASSIVE campaign from Amazon when all of their award plays that year flopped. Not to mention the enormous critial acclaim. Another Round has a flop distributor.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 473 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.