Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 6)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 501 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 days ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
SN
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Continue here in Part 6.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So they’re already campaigning.

God I just hope this film doesn’t whitewash history like Chicago 7. It’s a very important story.

I have every confidence they won’t whitewash. Shaka King is not an elitist with dodgy white savioury politics like Sorkin.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I have every confidence they won’t whitewash. Shaka King is not an elitist with dodgy white savioury politics like Sorkin.

Yeah, I have some confidence too. Not everyone is a proudly elitist liberal like Aaron Sorkin.

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

Loving those stills from Malcolm and Marie. A trailer must be imminent. I have zero idea how good it will be despite being excited for it but I think it could make quite a few races more exciting if it is – Actress, Screenplay and Cinematography feel possible. Maybe Picture, Director and Actor too if it’s really acclaimed. I feel like Netflix might be looking/ hoping for something with a bit of passion and popular/ online support considering its three best shots all seem to be falling a little flat buzz-wise right now, and Malcolm and Marie is probably their best shot at that.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

In regards to what Wolfali was saying about Judas’ screenplay chances, I don’t think a late release date will hurt it too much. Late release films have won Screenplay categories several times since the preferential ballot (Her and Django in Original, Call Me By Your Name and The Big Short in Adapted). 1917 was nominated last year despite not being screened until very late. It’s also worth noting that buzz for Screenplay categories tends to flip on a dime. OUATiH and Little Women were the frontrunners to win Original and Adapted last year until WGA flipped the script and gave the wins to Parasite and Jojo Rabbit: then the BAFTA’s and Oscars followed suit. Three Billboards was also widely seen as the frontrunner to win Original in 2018 before Get Out won WGA. Green Book also won Original out of absolutely nowhere: that’s 3 upset wins in a row in that category.

I see something similar happening to Judas: it may not have buzz yet, but after yesterday’s events and the events of June 2020, and in light of how important Black voices have been for the last 6 months, Judas has a story that voters will strongly embrace. I think it will follow a similar path to Parasite and Jojo Rabbit and win all of the late season prizes: WGA, BAFTA, and then the Oscar.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Judas will be the BlackkKlansman to TTotC7’s Green Book: a more boldly political film that isn’t afraid to shake it’s viewers up.

Not that I have anything against Green Book, but it’s objectively not as good of a film because of how watered down it is.

John's Best of 2020

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Pieces of a FLop not even top 10 in the US. Getting beaten by 30 Minutes or Less.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Pieces of a FLop not even top 10 in the US. Getting beaten by 30 Minutes or Less.

In that case let me slot in Emma Roberts for Holidate! Oh and Enola Holmes over The Trial of the Chicago 7!

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

In that case let me slot in Emma Roberts for Holidate.

Imagine being proud of having no one watch your movie lol Thats definitely a take.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Do you enjoy being so insufferable?!

For some reason this clown is blocked for me. I only know he exists because people reply him lol

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

For some reason this clown is blocked for me. I only know he exists because people reply him lol

Didn’t you put him on ignore by any chance?!

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Didn’t you put him on ignore by any chance?!

Yeah, maybe. I probably did that like some years ago and don’t remember right now. You should do the same lol

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Yeah, maybe. I probably did that like some years ago and don’t remember right now. You should do the same lol

I should put quite a few people on ignore tbh 😅

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Imagine being proud of having no one watch your movie lol Thats definitely a take.

Not every movie is going to be super popular. In fact, the whole point of awards season is that it’s supposed to recognize these smaller films that otherwise wouldn’t receive that much attention. If awards didn’t exist than the entire Hollywood industry would just be massive blockbusters and other films designed to make money. And it would be creatively bankrupt.

At the end of the day, does the amount of people that have seen a film impact your opinion of it? Because if it does, and you judge your movies solely based on how much other people like them, then why bother watching movies at all?

John's Best of 2020

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

John, don’t bother. He’s beyond all reason at this point, and any thoughtful response will lend him more validity than he deserves. Just put him on ignore and call it a day.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.