Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 6)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 501 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
SN
  • Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

https://forward.com/culture/456814/aaron-sorkins-moralizing-liberal-fantasy-betrays-the-real-chicago-7/

“And oddly, for a film in which the heroes preach revolution in nearly every scene, The Trial of the Chicago 7 turns out to be a passionate defense of the system they themselves are committed to overthrowing.”

“Sorkin’s artistry is that of a highly-polished propagandist.”

“The Chicago 7 descended on Chicago not to condemn the Republicans but to condemn the Democrats. They were truly radical”

“If (Sorkin’s) aspiration is to use these radicals and their beliefs as proxies for the #Resistance and its principled outrage at the Trump administration, Sorkin, the good liberal with his particular talent for inspiring people to retain their faith in a more perfect union, has to find ways both to reimagine the Chicago 7 as people concerned with respectability politics and inoculate the Democratic Party (our ersatz liberators) from blame. In this, he succeeds.”

“So he casts Sacha Baron Cohen, our own generation’s wicked moral prankster, and runs through the greatest hits — the stand-up tour Hoffman did on weekends, the quips and one-liners Hoffman lobbed throughout the trial, the donning of judges’ robes to wind up the judge — as though getting a laugh was all Hoffman was really after.”

The real Abbie Hoffman said to the judge,“I remember when we were speaking before, you said, ‘Tom Hayden, you could have had a nice position in the system, you could have had a job in the firm.’ We have heard that for the past ten years, all of us have heard that. And our only beauty is that we don’t want a job. We don’t want a job there, in that system. We say to young people, ‘There’s a brilliant future for you in the revolution. Become an enemy of the State. A great future. It will save your soul.”

FYC: Michaela Coel and Rosamund Pike

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Good job, you two. The users known as Leo’s Burner and David Holmes do indeed have the same IP address.

Tbh I was joking I wasn’t actually expecting to be correct. Lol that’s a hilarious coincidence.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Not sure right wing attacks in the liberal left POV of Chicago 7 is the route y’all want to go find. That’s not being able to read the room. If Chicago 7 faces attacks like that it will win with ease.

Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

Not sure right wing attacks in the liberal left POV of Chicago 7 is the route y’all want to go find. That’s not being able to read the room. If Chicago 7 faces attacks like that it will win with ease.

These are very clearly leftist critiques of the conservative film that is Aaron Sorkin’s Chicago 7.

FYC: Michaela Coel and Rosamund Pike

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Films in the prediction centre ranked by IMDB votes (those that have been out for two weeks or less are in bold). Changes in ranking on this chart are in brackets:

1. Tenet – 268,343 votes
    2. Soul – 134,961 votes
    3. The Trial of the Chicago 7 – 84,184 votes
    4. Palm Springs – 71,038 votes
    5. I’m Thinking of Ending Things – 58,069 votes
    6. Da 5 Bloods – 37,222 votes
    7. Mank – 32,622 votes
    8. Emma. – 28,903 votes
    9. Sound of Metal – 21,792 votes (+1 rank on the vote chart)
    10. Hillbilly Elegy – 21,121 votes (-1 rank on the vote chart)

11. On the Rocks – 19,439 votes (-1 rank on the vote chart)
    12. The Prom – 18,795 votes
    13. Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom – 17,705 votes
    14. Pieces of a Woman – 14,010 votes (+2 ranks on the vote chart)
    15. Never Rarely Sometimes Always – 12,533 votes
    16. The Personal History of David Copperfield – 12,483 votes (-2 ranks on the vote chart)
    17. Promising Young Woman – 12,070 votes
    18. First Cow – 7,963 votes
    19. Ammonite – 5,087 votes
    20. News of the World – 4,599 votes

21. One Night in Miami – 3,770 votes

By user average score:

1. Soul – 8.1
    2. Sound of Metal – 7.8
    2. The Trial of the Chicago 7 – 7.8
    4. Promising Young Woman – 7.5 (+1 position on the chart)
    4. Tenet – 7.5
    6. Never Rarely Sometimes Always – 7.4
    6. Palm Springs – 7.4
    8. First Cow – 7.1
    8. Mank – 7.1
    8. Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom – 7.1
    8. One Night in Miami – 7.1
    8. Pieces of a Woman – 7.1

13. News of the World – 6.9 (-1 position on the chart)
    14. Emma – 6.7
    14. Hillbilly Elegy – 6.7
    16. I’m Thinking of Ending Things – 6.6
    17. Ammonite – 6.5
    17. Da 5 Bloods – 6.5
    17. On the Rocks – 6.5
    20. The Personal History of David Copperfield – 6.4
    21. The Prom – 6.0

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

So I finally watched Tenet. Movie was rather good but I just don’t understand why Nolan’s characters are always so.. bland. This is why he’ll never win Best Director

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Interestingly, Will Mavity, a pundit, asked film twitter what films are being wildly overestimated or underestimated by them rn, and here is the answer with most votes/likes:

Overestimated:
    1. Promising Young Woman
    2. Da 5 Bloods
    3. Minari

Underestimated:
    1. News of the World
    2. Sound of Metal
    3. Hillbilly Elegy

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

These are very clearly leftist critiques of the conservative film that is Aaron Sorkin’s Chicago 7.

Good luck with those attacks, dear. Its not catching on.

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

Good luck with those attacks, dear. Its not catching on.

I think you of all people should watch your mouth more when saying things aren’t going to catch on.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Someone should tell Focus that their astroturf campaign is getting a little too obvious.

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

Interestingly, Will Mavity, a pundit, asked film twitter what films are being wildly overestimated or underestimated by them rn, and here is the answer with most votes/likes: Overestimated: 1. Promising Young Woman 2. Da 5 Bloods 3. Minari Underestimated: 1. News of the World 2. Sound of Metal 3. Hillbilly Elegy

Actually, to see the thread identifying specific films as underestimated or overestimated, go to  https://twitter.com/mavericksmovies/status/1350913291342798849.  I note that (1) most of the films identified above– especially PYW and Minari— are identified repeatedly by different tweeters in both categories,  and  (2)  a number who identify PYW as overestimated go on to explain that they think it will get nominations for Best Actress and possibly Original Screenplay, but not Best Picture.  (I also note that some of the tweets which identify PYW as being overestimated are by regular GD posters such as Luca and Matthew Anzalone.)

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Promising Young Woman‘s placements in the odds:
    #11 in Picture
    #9 in Director
    #4 in Actress
    #4 in Original
    #16 in Editing
    You could say that it is being overestimated by some (like me for example), but there is not much of an argument that it is being overestimated overall, as the idea of it doing well has not gone mainstream in the Oscar blogosphere.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Promising Young Woman‘s placements in the odds: #11 in Picture #9 in Director #4 in Actress #4 in Original #16 in Editing You could say that it is being overestimated by some (like me for example), but there is not much of an argument that it is being overestimated overall, as the idea of it doing well has not gone mainstream in the Oscar blogosphere.

I think people were rather referring exclusively to Twitter, where, in my opinion, it is definitely overestimated.

A Fervent Believer in the Church of Viola Davis

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Anne Thompson thinking that One Night in Miami is being underestimated is an interesting take, she’s never usually wrong about races and thinks that 5 above-the-line are all possible (incl. director).

(x)

Profile picture
    NevadaR
    Topics:

Anne has been wrong plenty of times and by her own admission she hasn’t talked to many members this year. And not even dreaming to compare it to Parasite but PYW is the only movie this season that comes close to the passion Parasite had on social media. I don’t think it has a chance to win but I do think it’s getting that BP nomination.

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.