Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 6)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 501 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
S.N.
  • Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

Anne Thompson thinking that One Night in Miami is being underestimated is an interesting take, she’s never usually wrong about races and thinks that 5 above-the-line are all possible (incl. director).

(x)

Oooh, I don’t think “One Night in Miami” is strong enough to win Best Picture..

Profile picture
    nevkm
    Topics:

Anne has been wrong plenty of times and by her own admission she hasn’t talked to many members this year. And not even dreaming to compare it to Parasite but PYW is the only movie this season that comes close to the passion Parasite had on social media. I don’t think it has a chance to win but I do think it’s getting that BP nomination.

Moreover industry people keep posting about it. That’s a good sign.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

First of all, Chicago7 is still the frontrunner.

Chicago 7 is not and has never been the frontrunner. Look at the top of your screen. Nomadland has been the frontrunner all season.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

Profile picture
    S.N.
    Topics:

Looking at some predictions here, I see some of you guys are expecting almost every Netflix contender to have nominations:

Chicago 7
    Mank
    Ma Rainey
    Da 5 Bloods
    Pieces of a Woman
    Malcolm & Marie
    I’m Thinking of Ending Things

All of these in above the line categories. Plus The Midnight Sky on crafts, and a couple of other noms in Animated and Documentary.

That would be unprecedented by any studio. That’s why I’m not predicting some of these in any category, and I’m skeptical about others. Not even peak Miramax had so many nominated films. I know this is an unprecedented year but it’s not like there’s no alternatives from other studios.

Profile picture
    DaKardii
    Topics:

END OF WEEK 19 PREDICTIONS

Nomadland
    The Trial of the Chicago 7
    One Night in Miami
    News of the World
    Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Mank
    Minari
    The Father
    Da 5 Bloods
    Promising Young Woman

Chloe Zhao (Nomadland)
    David Fincher (Mank)
    Regina King (One Night in Miami)
    George C. Wolfe (Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom)
    Aaron Sorkin (The Trial of the Chicago 7)

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Chicago 7 is not and has never been the frontrunner. Look at the top of your screen. Nomadland has been the frontrunner all season.

Honey, I’m obviously not saying Chicago 7 is the frontrunner HERE.  Everyone knows who is at top on Goldderby lol (and that doesn’t really matter until we’re pretty close to the official announcement and people start coming back updating their predictions.)

Chicago 7, sadly, seems to be what will win Oscars BP at this point.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Looking at some predictions here, I see some of you guys are expecting almost every Netflix contender to have nominations:

Chicago 7
    Mank
    Ma Rainey
    Da 5 Bloods
    Pieces of a Woman
    Malcolm & Marie
    I’m Thinking of Ending Things

All of these in above the line categories. Plus The Midnight Sky on crafts, and a couple of other noms in Animated and Documentary.

That would be unprecedented by any studio. That’s why I’m not predicting some of these in any category, and I’m skeptical about others. Not even peak Miramax had so many nominated films. I know this is an unprecedented year but it’s not like there’s no alternatives from other studios.

Agreed with this. Some netflix movies will be left without a chair. I wonder which ones.

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

Agreed with this. Some netflix movies will be left without a chair. I wonder which ones.

Hillbilly Elegy

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    Lance
    Topics:

Chicago 7 will win Best Pic, Zhao will take Director. Usual Oscar split like always. Bong was an exception since his film had so much buzz and passion. Chicago 7 has that crowd pleasing factor that the Oscars always go with. Nomadland is a wonderfully crafted film, but won’t have the pleasing factor that Chicago has.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

As I’ve said before, the Academy will never give Best Picture to a Netflix film as long as the theater industry is in jeopardy. That alone makes Nomadland the only obvious choice for a win, but it’s also universally acclaimed, whereas Chicago 7 has been somewhat divisive. And it also won’t have the advantage of a contentious political climate, since Oscar voting happens in March, long after Biden’s inauguration, when voters will be eager to forget about the protests and riots and not want to reward a film that reminds them of those events.

It’s a crowd pleaser, sure, and I believe it will win some precursors. But Nomadland will most likely still come out on top.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Can someone please post here the AW January polls regarding Best Picture and Directing? Thanks, just curious, i’ve been inexplicably banned forever and they won’t let me reinstate.

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

8/10 BP winners in these 10 years also won Best Screenplay. (Exceptions are The Artist, a silent film, and The Shape of Water, a fantasy film)

Films which are predicted to win screenplay rn:

-Chicago 7 (Original)
    -Nomadland (Adapted)
    -One Night in Miami (Adapted)
    (We don’t know about Judas yet.)

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Chicago 7 will win Best Pic, Zhao will take Director. Usual Oscar split like always. Bong was an exception since his film had so much buzz and passion. Chicago 7 has that crowd pleasing factor that the Oscars always go with. Nomadland is a wonderfully crafted film, but won’t have the pleasing factor that Chicago has.

Agreed it hits all boxes. A good example of where the winds are blowing is that Crip Camp upset Time at IDA, big precursor for Best Doc. This upset shows people want to see stories that are reflect what going on today and Chicago 7 is right down the middle. Yes plus industry hard of Netflix overrated. Look at reaction when they announced they 2021 slate. People enjoyed. It wasn’t like the rebellion that WB had.

Profile picture
    LLLhawks
    Topics:

Spent 40 bucks on Promising Young Woman and News of the World, and I’ll do that again for Nomadland and Soul. But they’re not in Prime. Help!!!!

I just love movies. And awards.

Profile picture
    NevadaR
    Topics:

8/10 BP winners in these 10 years also won Best Screenplay. (Exceptions are The Artist, a silent film, and The Shape of Water, a fantasy film) Films which are predicted to win screenplay rn: -Chicago 7 (Original) -Nomadland (Adapted) -One Night in Miami (Adapted) (We don’t know about Judas yet.)

Heard the script for Judas is its biggest weakness being unfocused and all over the place.

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.