Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 6)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 497 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
SN
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I guess so but the main reason why I think she will make the cut is because she’s the closest to a left field high profile (arguably populist) choice in that directing category that we see almost every year that doesn’t make it to the Oscars.

2018: Peter Farrelly
    2017: Ridley Scott, Steven Spielberg
    2016: Tom Ford
    2015: Todd Haynes
    2014: David Fincher, Ava DuVernay

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

Kinda want to put myself in a coma and wake up after this awards season.

I mean, with Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom and One Night In Miami and The Father being effectively stage plays (with varying degrees of directorial attempt to make that better) why not have the Hamilton recording count at that point?

Films like The Trial of the Chicago 7 and (controversially) Promising Young Woman disappoint me more and more the more I think about them, for the wasted potential and vapid messages of platitudes that don’t add up. The ending of PYM especially, although since this website doesn’t have a spoiler feature I will use rot13.com

V ungr gung gur raqvat jnf ure qlvat naq gung gur cbyvpr fhqqrayl tbg gurve fuvg gbtrgure naq neerfgrq gur encvfgf. Znlor vg’f zl genaf rkcrevrapr, ohg qrngu qbrfa’g fhqqrayl znxr cerivbhfyl ncngurgvp cbyvpr vafgvghgvbaf tvir n fuvg. Naq shegurezber, gur vqrn bs n fnpevsvpvny qrngu univat zber inyhr V guvax vf cerggl shpxvat gbkvp gb zr – gur vqrn gung yvsr nsgre genhzn bs encr vf yrff inyhnoyr guna n fnpevsvpr. Gung vqrn znqr zr pbafvqre fhvpvqr nsgre orvat nffnhygrq, naq urer gur zbivr vf cerfragvat gung nf gur ivpgbel pbaqvgvba. V pna bayl nccerpvngr Pnerl Zhyyvtna’f cresbeznapr fb zhpu sbe fhpu n greevoyr fpevcg.

Naq gung vf jul V pbzcnerq vg gb Gur Gevny bs gur Puvpntb 7 – guvf arbyvoreny vqrn gung hygvzngryl gurer jvyy or vafgvghgvbaf gung jvyy uryc lbh, naq gung lbh whfg arrq gb qb jung gurl jnag, rira vs gung’f tvivat hc lbhe yvsr.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

Profile picture
    NevadaR
    Topics:

V ungr gung gur raqvat jnf ure qlvat naq gung gur cbyvpr fhqqrayl tbg gurve fuvg gbtrgure naq neerfgrq gur encvfgf. Znlor vg’f zl genaf rkcrevrapr, ohg qrngu qbrfa’g fhqqrayl znxr cerivbhfyl ncngurgvp cbyvpr vafgvghgvbaf tvir n fuvg. Naq shegurezber, gur vqrn bs n fnpevsvpvny qrngu univat zber inyhr V guvax vf cerggl shpxvat gbkvp gb zr – gur vqrn gung yvsr nsgre genhzn bs encr vf yrff inyhnoyr guna n fnpevsvpr. Gung vqrn znqr zr pbafvqre fhvpvqr nsgre orvat nffnhygrq, naq urer gur zbivr vf cerfragvat gung nf gur ivpgbel pbaqvgvba. V pna bayl nccerpvngr Pnerl Zhyyvtna’f cresbeznapr fb zhpu sbe fhpu n greevoyr fpevcg. Naq gung vf jul V pbzcnerq vg gb Gur Gevny bs gur Puvpntb 7 – guvf arbyvoreny vqrn gung hygvzngryl gurer jvyy or vafgvghgvbaf gung jvyy uryc lbh, naq gung lbh whfg arrq gb qb jung gurl jnag, rira vs gung’f tvivat hc lbhe yvsr.

I don’t think you quite got the ending of PYW. It’s not supposed to be a victory. Far from it.

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

I don’t think you quite got the ending of PYW. It’s not supposed to be a victory. Far from it.

I know it’s supposed to be bittersweet, but one thing leads to another. Again, I find it unrealistic and having way too much trust in institutions to deal with the outcome to be the more “realistic” ending. Again, I am pretty sensitive to films that mishandle themes of sexual assault due to life experiences, and I think PYW fucked up.

For Your Consideration:

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Of course the ending is not a victory because she ****, but it makes us believe she had the last laugh.

Profile picture
    nevkm
    Topics:

Of course the ending is not a victory because she ***, but it makes us believe she had the last laugh.

Doesn’t make it any less sad and tragic.

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

Again, I am pretty sensitive to films that mishandle themes of sexual assault due to life experiences, and I think PYW fucked up.

Many of us with direct or indirect experience with sexual assault like the ending very much. I think one of the great strengths of the film is that it is provoking many important and difficult discussions.

Some victims are disturbed that the movie does not provide them with the catharsis they seek. I understand that view, but personally feel that this criticism is outweighed by the the number of abusers and enablers who may watch it, and gain insight and perhaps empathy regarding the consequences of their conduct.

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

Many of us with direct or indirect experience with sexual assault like the ending very much. I think one of the great strengths of the film is that it is provoking many important and difficult discussions. Some victims are disturbed that the movie does not provide them with the catharsis they seek. I understand that view, but personally feel that this criticism is outweighed by the the number of abusers and enablers who may watch it, and gain insight and perhaps empathy regarding the consequences of their conduct.

I’m not seeking catharsis, I’m seeking a movie that isn’t so fucking detached from reality that the cops who were shown to be apathetic and unsupportive suddenly give a shit and arrest people. If Carey mulligan’s character wasn’t a white cis girl they’d just neglect her clues. If my rapist watched this movie I think he’d be happy with this films idea that only death could bring him to justice.

For an ending that the director called a more realistic take on the rape revenge formula I think it was as detached from the realities of modern culture as Trial of the Chicago 7 is from the realities of 60s culture.

For Your Consideration:

Profile picture
    AmnistY21
    Topics:

I’m not seeking catharsis, I’m seeking a movie that isn’t so fucking detached from reality that the cops who were shown to be apathetic and unsupportive suddenly give a shit and arrest people. If Carey mulligan’s character wasn’t a white cis girl they’d just neglect her clues. If my rapist watched this movie I think he’d be happy with this films idea that only death could bring him to justice. For an ending that the director called a more realistic take on the rape revenge formula I think it was as detached from the realities of modern culture as Trial of the Chicago 7 is from the realities of 60s culture.

What do you mean? That attorney has evidence and turns it over to the police and based on this they find her remains. Of course they would arrest people.

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

If my rapist watched this movie I think he’d be happy with this films idea that only death could bring him to justice.

I’m very sorry that you were raped. You are, of course, entitled to whatever views of PYW you take from the movie.

Personally, I don’t take from PYW the idea that only a rape victim’s death could bring a rapist to justice, and I don’t believe that is the filmmakers’ intended message.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

I’m not seeking catharsis, I’m seeking a movie that isn’t so fucking detached from reality that the cops who were shown to be apathetic and unsupportive suddenly give a shit and arrest people. If Carey mulligan’s character wasn’t a white cis girl they’d just neglect her clues. If my rapist watched this movie I think he’d be happy with this films idea that only death could bring him to justice.

For an ending that the director called a more realistic take on the rape revenge formula I think it was as detached from the realities of modern culture as Trial of the Chicago 7 is from the realities of 60s culture.

T getting spilt!!!!!!

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

T getting spilt!!!!!!

I didn’t go at it to spill tea or throw shade or whatever phrase you’ve appropriated this week. I just don’t like the movie, have specific reasons why, and don’t feel like it’s empowering or an exploration that offers insight. I’m not playing your Stan Twitter game.

For Your Consideration:

Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

This conversation is super interesting. And Cordelia, I’m so sorry to hear that part of your story and all. I understand your point about the ending, too. I think that the evidence to arrest him on the charges of ___ is pretty overwhelming, and of course there’s no way he could be arrested on account of the rape. Which I think is truthful, but definitely a hopeful ending. It would’ve been gratuitous had he been arrested for rape.

watch I May Destroy You

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

BAFTA winner and Academy Award nominated editor for ‘City of God’ and director of Brazil’s 2017 submission for Best International Feature Film Daniel Rezende posted some of his thoughts on films he’s watching because of the Oscars voting:

NOMADLAND:
    -Wonderful
    -Loved it
    -Frances McDormand
    -Best actress of the generation

THE FATHER:
    -I liked it a lot
    -It messed with me
    -Incredible acting
    -Smart script

SOUND OF METAL:
    -I liked it a lot
    -I suffered with it
    -Available on Amazon
    -Go watch it and tell me what you thought

NEWS OF THE WORLD:
    -Good
    -The girl is amazing
    -Tom Hanks is Tom Hanks

THE NEST:
    -Boring and pretentious-ish
    -Jude Law is good
    -Carrie Coon is marvelous

MANK:
    -Beautiful and boring
    -That’s it

MA RAINEY’S BLACK BOTTOM:
    -Viola Davis wonderful
    -Chadwick Boseman wonderful
    -A lowkey boring film, but short
    -It’s on Netflix

ON THE ROCKS:
    -Sofia Coppola, what happened?
    -I thought it was terrible
    -Not even Bill Murray saves the movie
    -It’s on Apple

MINARI:
    -Very good
    -It’s worth it a lot
    -Incredible acting
    -Good directing
    -I recommend it

PIECES OF A WOMAN:
    -The premise is better than the film itself
    -I liked it, but not that much. But it’s worth it
    -A hard sit
    -Birthing scene is impressive and wonderful
    -It’s on Netflix

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Tom Hanks is Tom Hanks

shade

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 497 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.