Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 6)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 497 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
SN
  • Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

This is A-level shade

Oop he didn’t mean that way. It was like “Tom Hanks *IS* Tom Hanks”, like he’s always great. I think it works better in portuguese, in english it does sounds like shade.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Heard the script for Judas is its biggest weakness being unfocused and all over the place.

You probably heard that from one critic. Most others have been positive about the script.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Dominique Fishback
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

Profile picture
    maxinho
    Topics:

After watching Nomadland, I’m trying to figure out what exactly is so impressive about Chloé Zhao’s directing for her to be sweeping, the movie is great, but Best Director? I’m gonna wait for the globes to clear that out.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Also, I don’t see Chicago 7 winning Best Original Screenplay at the Oscars. The film’s biggest early strength (it’s political relevance to today’s time), is also going to be a big weakness later in the season. Because once the Trump Impeacement trial is over, Liberals in Hollywood are going to want to forget about the political turbulence of the last 4 years. There’s a reason why the films that won Best Picture under the Obama administration were much less political in nature than the ones that won under the Trump administration.

I think if Judas’ screenplay ends up being heavily criticized then Promising Young Woman will become the frontrunner to win, since it has a message that more people can get behind. And if it does than I also expect PYW to be nominated for Best Picture as well.

John's Best of 2020

John's Best of 2021

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

Oop he didn’t mean that way. It was like “Tom Hanks *IS* Tom Hanks”, like he’s always great. I think it works better in portuguese, in english it does sounds like shade.

Nah, he means he’s always playing the same type of character.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

MANK:
    -Beautiful and boring
    -That’s it

Bafta voters, you don’t deserve David Fincher and Gary Oldman.

Profile picture
    NevadaR
    Topics:

You probably heard that from one critic. Most others have been positive about the script.

I feel like the praise for the movie focused mainly on performances. Moreover, there are also reviews on letterboxd saying the script is all over the place and most of the pundits who have watched it are not predicting it in Screenplay. But we’ll see.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I feel like the praise for the movie focused mainly on performances. Moreover, there are also reviews on letterboxd saying the script is all over the place and most of the pundits who have watched it are not predicting it in Screenplay. But we’ll see.

Well that’s fair. But Jojo Rabbit was also criticized by it’s screnplay by many critics, and yet it still won. I think Judas could see a a similar polarization between critics and Academy voters (the latter of which seem more likely to embrace Judas’ story) that could lead to similar success.

John's Best of 2020

John's Best of 2021

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

NEWS OF THE WORLD:

-The girl is amazing

Tea?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Well that’s fair. But Jojo Rabbit was also criticized by it’s screnplay by many critics, and yet it still won. I think Judas could see a a similar polarization between critics and Academy voters (the latter of which seem more likely to embrace Judas’ story) that could lead to similar success.

Jojo Rabbit was a dark comedy loved by audiences written by a well respected comedy writer though. I doubt many in the industry have heard of Will Berson (who fun fact just raved on Twitter about Emerald Fennell’s work on Promising Young Woman) or Shaka King.

You can argue the same about Chung and Fennell but the former is a festival darling and the latter was the Emmy nominated showrunner of Killing Eve and was starring as Camilla Parker-Bowles in season 4 of The Crown (a show with more visibility and buzz than some of the films contending for Oscars this year).

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Emmy nominated showrunner of Killing Eve and was starring as Camilla Parker-Bowles in season 4 of The Crown (a show with more visibility and buzz than some of the films contending for Oscars this year).

But she’s still not very well known. It took me months to discover she was the woman who ruined Killing Eve (good she redeemed herself with PYW), and I didn’t knew she was in The Crown until weeks ago. She’s no Greta Gerwig when she directed Lady Bird.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

What Judas has in its favor is that Warner is very good at campaigning and it’s their only contender this season. Almost every year they have a nominated film in multiple categories, including screenplay.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

But she’s still not very well known. It took me months to discover she was the woman who ruined Killing Eve (good she redeemed herself with PYW), and I didn’t knew she was in The Crown until weeks ago. She’s no Greta Gerwig when she directed Lady Bird.

I didn’t say she was Greta Gerwig when she directed Lady Bird though or that she was very well known.

She still is more well known than Shaka King and Will Berson within the industry and has more individual buzz right now going for her (which is a good sign for her).

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    The Girls' Room
    Topics:

Does anyone else think One Night in Miami is being underestimated?

watch I May Destroy You

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Does anyone else think One Night in Miami is being underestimated?

Not really, but I feel it could overperform at SAG (Ensemble, Actor, Supporting Actor).

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 497 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.