Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 499 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
SN
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Ineligible for score

Wait, really? I knew Judas and ONiM were ineligible, but I didn’t know Ma Rainey wasn’t.

Btw, what is up with the Academy’s erasure of Black composers? Someone needs to answer for this!

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Dominique Fishback
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Critics are the ones who are supposed to love it (it still has a perfect score on Rotten Tomatoes) and we all know they’re seeing it now, so if they aren’t nominating it

Do we though?

Anyway just let’s end this fruitless discussion here. It’s like all of you are acting as if the Golden Globe nominations have been announced.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

This is a forum where we discuss our predictions and other people’s predictions. If you offer up your predictions in the forum, you are opening yourself up for those predictions to be discussed. We are supposed to have fun debate on here, so if someone sees something they disagree with, they are going to want to express their opinion on it. And if you do that, please be respectful! In my opinion, it’s always better to make a case for your opposing opinion instead of dismissing someone else’s. When you dismiss someone else’s opinion without adding anything else, that’s when this forum becomes less fun. (This is in reference to the argument that happened over the last two pages, but is not directed at anyone in particular)

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Wait, really? I knew Judas and ONiM were ineligible, but I didn’t know Ma Rainey wasn’t. Btw, what is up with the Academy’s erasure of Black composers? Someone needs to answer for this!

From what I’ve seen, the majority of the score used in Ma Rainey isn’t original. Most of the music used was from the original play.

Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

Best Picture is starting to seem like one I cant decide on. My gut says “Mank” or “Nomadland” but my brain says “Da 5 Bloods” and “The Father”. And to be frank, I always get this catagory wrong outside of the years I somehow got Spotlight right and Parasite correct…..so I knida want to get it right a third time. Help lol

Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

Ma Rainey in 9th is hardly a strange prediction. I see The Father, Nomadland, Judas, 5 Bloods, Mank, Shitago 7, Promising Young Woman all clearly ahead of it, One Night in Miami very possibly as well, and Another Round and Minari both with the potential to get more passion votes.

That would put Ma Rainey in 11th place for a nomination. It’s only 10th best in audience score among these films, critically it was overhyped (as we can see from a relative lack of actual Best Picture nominations from critics groups, even with several other contenders being underseen during all that early voting; it also has less screenplay nominations than One Night in Miami), and from a filmmaking perspective it doesn’t draw in the tech crowd much.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Ma Rainey in 9th is a galaxy brain prediction.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

If Fences was nominated for Best Picture, there’s absolutely no reason to think Ma Rainey is in danger.

Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

If Fences was nominated for Best Picture, there’s absolutely no reason to think Ma Rainey is in danger.

Fences happened directly after the apex of #OscarsSoWhite, had stronger source material, a bigger narrative of being Denzel’s dream project, and Scott Rudin producing.

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

Judas is up to 98%!

Profile picture
    Gabe Guarin
    Topics:

Can Chadwick still win the Oscar if Ma Rainey isn’t nominated for Best Picture?

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Chadwick can absolutely still win if the movie’s not nominated.

At the end of the day, that film ultimately IS him. Yes, I know Viola is there (stans do not attack me), but I think most people will primarily see it as Chadwick’s movie.

I would not be surprised to see it miss Picture. Only thing that gives me pause is the fact that I can’t remember a film that’s gotten two lead acting nominations and missed Picture? Though again, that movie does not have much passion outside Chadwick (and Viola to a much much lesser extent).

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

Can Chadwick still win the Oscar if Ma Rainey isn’t nominated for Best Picture?

It didn’t hurt Forest Whitaker.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Fences happened directly after the apex of #OscarsSoWhite, had stronger source material, a bigger narrative of being Denzel’s dream project, and Scott Rudin producing.

Ma Rainey is happening in the BLM year, has better reviews than Fences, it’s another dream project of Denzel, and stars a beloved late actor who’s almost locked to win.

Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

Denzel isn’t in this project. Boseman has extra hype around him right now because of dying young but he’s nowhere near Denzel’s level. The BLM argument is not as strong when voters already have Da 5 Bloods, Judas and the Black Messiah, and One Night in Miami to choose from, and when those films all have a bigger and more relevant scope on the subject matter.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.