Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 499 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
SN
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I know I’m gonna be slaughtered and hung for this but out of all the movies from this season I have seen so far Mank and Promising Young Woman would be the only ones I’d give a Picture nomination to.

That’s fair enough. I personally didn’t like Mank very much (the actors were phenomenal though) but I can understand why it might appeal to some.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

That’s fair enough. I personally didn’t like Mank very much (the actors were phenomenal though) but I can understand why it might appeal to some.

I found it to be extremely witty and entertaining but I know I’m on an island with that.
    By the way, if it was a stand-alone movie, Mangrove would sweep my personal awards. It’s easily better than any other 2020 contender I have seen thus far (I liked Nine Days even more but I think that was moved into next season where it will die a buzzless death).

FYC:

Lead Actor: Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round)

Supporting Actress: Maria Bakalova (Borat Subsequent Moviefilm)

Supporting Actor: Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

-----------------------------

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

By the way, if it was a stand-alone movie, Mangrove would sweep my personal awards. It’s easily better than any other 2020 contender I have seen thus far (I liked Nine Days even more but I think that was moved into next season where it will die a buzzless death).

Mangrove makes <i>The Trial of the Chicago 7 </i>look like community college theatre.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Since its release the following have praised <i>Promising Young Woman</i>:

– Judd Apatow
    – Matt Bomer
    – Rod Lurie
    – Seth Rogen
    – Ben Stiller

I think it’s fair to say that the reactionary theory that Promising Young Woman won’t do well because men won’t want to vote for it can be safely thrown out of the window now.

Profile picture
    mf617
    Topics:

I am kind of in the same boat as some of you, although I am maybe a bit more positive on some films overall, but I would say that I am more indifferent to the so-called “Oscar films” of the year than in years past. I’m not sure if that’s a result of not seeing most films in theaters, generally the mood of the past year influencing my state of mind, or the type of content getting released this year holding back some higher quality films, but at this point I am more likely to be surprised that I liked something as much or more than I expected to, rather than really liking or loving it on its own merit. Perhaps as a result I am less invested in this race — this unnecessarily long race — than in years past but I’m at least curious enough to see how nominations for major precursors start to shake out in the next few weeks. I wondered if it was just me or if others felt this way, and perhaps this is something that carries over into major voting bodies and bodes well for the movies that really honestly do seem to have passion behind them rather than just accepted and pre-ordained respect and tolerance.

Profile picture
    Yu Terry
    Topics:

Since its release the following have praised <i>Promising Young Woman</i>: – Judd Apatow – Matt Bomer – Rod Lurie – Seth Rogen – Ben Stiller I think it’s fair to say that the reactionary theory that Promising Young Woman won’t do well because men won’t want to vote for it can be safely thrown out of the window now.

Do you think any man or woman who disliked PYW, especially the celebrities, would dare to come to Internet and voice their negative opinion loudly? Lol they would be labelled as misogynist or someone who is “uncomfortable about women revenging for rape” by this crazy Twitter cancel culture immediately.

Also, rarely do public figures say bad things about a film they watched publicly, right?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Do you think any man or woman who disliked PYW, especially the celebrities, would dare to come to Internet and voice their negative opinion loudly? Lol they would be labelled as misogynist or someone who is “uncomfortable about women revenging for rape” by this crazy Twitter cancel culture immediately. Also, rarely do public figures say bad things about a film they watched publicly, right?

My point is more that there have been vain comments posted on here abut how “no man will vote for Promising Young Woman” and considering we have positive reactions for the film from multiple high profile male members of the Academy I think that at least throws out that ridiculous and reactionary theory out of the window.

You suggested that male members of the Academy wouldn’t dare to post anything negative against this film but if this film wasn’t getting “zero support” from male members of the Academy then why are there multiple praises for it. We don’t have any Golden Globe or precursor nominations to go by or any in person chatter or box office so seeing members of the Academy (some of whom will have seen more films this year and some of whom will have hardly seen anything) come out strongly in support of a film in this uncertain and unpredictable year is a strong sign. I remember just last year when Renee Zellweger, Taika Waititi and Joaquin Phoenix got strong praise for their work from their peers but people on here predicted Scarlett Johansson, Noah Baumbach and Adam Driver instead because Marriage Story was the narratively safer and more acclaimed choice.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

This is the worst year for film that I have ever seen (in the expanded Best Picture era). I have not loved a single one. The best films are just decent or solid. And people like Frances McDormand, Carey Mulligan and Viola Davis gave good performances, but I am not passionate about them like I am about the ones that the likes of Shira Haas, Emma Corrin and Amanda Peet gave on television in the same year.

I said this on a different thread, but I think I’m in the minority for liking every single major awards season release I’ve seen this year outside of Flopbilly Elegy. This year certainly isn’t as good as last year, but it’s more consistant: last year had a few films that I just wasn’t into like 1917, The Irishman, and The Two Popes, but this season has only had the one. I’m even the only person who loves The Midnight Sky.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Lack of theatres and general mindset are not helping, but I watched Portrait of a Lady on Fire for the first time a few weeks ago on my laptop and I was floored.  I am still thinking about it, so I know that the problem is not that my heart has turned to stone or something lately.  I also recently saw The Departed for the first time and I did so on my phone, yet I still found it excellent.  I watched it shortly after seeing The Trial of the Chicago 7, supposedly the ensemble of this year, yet I would put the work of Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson or Mark Wahlberg ahead of any of them.  We just have a weak crop this year.  Time will tell if it would have been a fine year without the shelving of so many blockbusters or if there was just something in the water.

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

I also recently saw The Departed for the first time and I did so on my phone, yet I still found it excellent.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

It happened again. I tried to like a comment, this time by wolfali, but the page was loading and jumped as I clicked, so I hit the delete button accidentally and it is not letting me restore it. He said, “Shh, don’t tell Scorsese.”

Profile picture
    Nectar
    Topics:

It’s likely a combination of theatres closing and everything moving online that’s created this sort of apathy towards this season’s contenders. The buzz can start strong and evaporate very quickly, and people move on to the next film. Even if people online really love a film, it’s hard to gauge if that extends outside of that.

Profile picture
    JGibson
    Topics:

Many of this year’s oscar baits have actually been better for me than in previois years. Plus those outside the circuit. Ofc theres the usual shit like Tank and Trial 7 tho.

Sure its a smaller pool but really great gems are being released this year.

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Soul is fine but a pretty weak effort from Pixar. I don’t get the people who say that it deserves anything more than a best animated film nomination.

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

It’s been hard to tell which films I don’t like are because of depressed anhedonia and which are just bad, but I think this oscars season has felt alone, flavourless, and bleak. It makes me want to quit oscars predictions and discussion. I want some excitement!

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.