Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 499 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
SN
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Ah yes, they just happened to “not like” all 4 of the films with Black casts and the film with an Asian cast.

Stop using this excuse for the Globes’ racist garbage. If you want to peddle this shit then go to Parler. I’m so fucking sick and tired of seeing it here.

“They just didn’t like it” is always the excuse. Honestly this word is overused but responses like that are pure gaslighting.

Profile picture
    jez89
    Topics:

Ah yes, they just happened to “not like” all 4 of the films with Black casts and the film with an Asian cast. Stop using this excuse for the Globes’ racist garbage. If you want to peddle this shit then go to Parler. I’m so fucking sick and tired of seeing it here.

They nominated Minari for Foreign Film. They nominated Regina King and Leslie Odom Junior for One Night in Miami. They nominated Viola Davis and Chadwick Boseman for Ma Rainey. They nominated Riz Ahmed and Tahar Rahim, neither of whom are “stale white males”, a term I’m sure you love to use. Andra Day in Drama Actress. What exactly do you want –  a rule where 50% of best picture nominees have to be primarily POC films? There’s simply no factual basis to conclude the Golden Globes are racist.

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

There’s no explanation for Da 5 Bloods’ Golden Globe shutout other than racism.

Have you even watched D5B?

Racism exists when drama field has no black-themed movies. It’s an overall problem, not for specific film, especially when Da 5 Bloods is already less good than ONIM, Judas, and Ma Rainey. Attributing D5B’s loss directly to racism is such a childish and irrational act.  D5B is not Blackkklansman, which is miles better and garnered GG noms including Best Drama. Critics overrated D5B for specific reasons but we all know how this film really is and what the audience’ real feelings are. They don’t need to nominate this messy film just because the director is Spike Lee. We have more better black-themed films this year.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    Gabe Guarin
    Topics:

Have you even watched D5B? Do you think it’s good? Attributing a loss directly to racism or whatever political things is such a childish and irrational act. D5B is not Blackkklansman, which is miles better and garnered GG noms including Best Drama. They don’t need to nominate a messy film just because the director is Spike Lee.

Yay more gaslighting. Just because you disliked it doesn’t mean everyone else disliked it. Keep your feelings out of it. Occasionally nominating people of color does not absolve the Globes of being racist.

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Yay more gaslighting. Just because you disliked it doesn’t mean everyone else disliked it. Keep your feelings out of it. Occasionally nominating people of color does not absolve the Globes of being racist.

I couldn’t agree more on your last sentence, but honey, D5B’s IMDb 6.5 with 40,000 votes and RT 53% audiece ratings is not “just a person disliked it” and whatever your personal feeling is , saying “a film’s loss is just about racism” is so wrong and irrational (it’s not Twitter here) even if we all know racism exists. (My Judas got no Best Drama but I wouldn’t call it’s all about racism.)

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

Da 5 Bloods is a challenging and very creative film, but it’s not at all one of the slowest arthouse things around. Racial bias can absolutely play a role in not being willing to fully engage with the film, or not understanding it. Whether that’s the case or not with a specific group or person may be difficult to examine exactly, but there are signs.

I would say The Globes definitely have a race problem that has been reflected in their choices. They are able to cover it up by having so many categories and pointing at the non-white inclusions, but if you look at the actual percentages, it’s not great. The vast majority of the Globes voters are white too. They also completely abuse their position to make money; why is their membership so small? It’s certainly not because of their individual credibility. There are tons of foreign critics/journalists, many of which are better at their jobs than the HFPA members.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

They nominated Minari for Foreign Film.

Minari isn’t a foreign film though. That nomination in and of itself is racism, and the fact that they doubled down on it by not nominating Minari anywhere else is even more racist.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Dominique Fishback
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

1. Nomadland (Searchlight Pictures)
    2. The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Netflix)
    3. Promising Young Woman (Focus Features)
    4. The Father (Sony Pictures Classics)
    5. Minari (A24)
    6. Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (Netflix)
    7. Mank (Netflix)
    8. News of the World (Universal)
    9. Sound of Metal (Amazon)

10. Judas and the Black Messiah (Warner Bros.)

Director

1. Chloe Zhao, Nomadland
    2. Emerald Fennell, Promising Young Woman
    3. Lee Isaac Chung, Minari
    4. David Fincher, Mank
    5. Florian Zeller, The Father

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

Picture:
    1. The Trial of The Chicago 7
    2. Nomadland
    3. Mank
    4. One Night In Miami
    5. Promising Young Woman
    6. Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    7. Minari
    8. News of The World
    9. Judas And The Black Messiah
    10. The Father

Director:
    1. Chloe Zhao – Nomadland
    2. David Fincher – Mank
    3. Regina King – One Night In Miami
    4. Emerald Fennell – Promising Young Woman
    5. Lee Isaac Chung – Minari

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

Picture:
    1. Nomadland
    2. The Trial of the Chicago 7
    3. Promising Young Woman
    4. Mank
    5. Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    6. One Night in Miami
    7. Judas and the Black Messiah
    8. The Father
    9. Minari (if 9)
    10. Da 5 Bloods (if 10)

Directing:
    1. Chloé Zhao
    2. Aaron Sorkin
    3. David Fincher
    4. Emerald Fennell
    5. Shaka King

I hope we get a line-up of nine films this year, it would be worth it.

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

PGA predictions:

The Father
    Judas and the Black Messiah
    Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Mank
    Minari
    News of the World
    Nomadland
    One Night in Miami
    Promising Young Woman
    The Trial of the Chicago 7

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Actors like Elizabeth Banks and Reese Witherspoon have all praised <i>Promising Young Woman </i>and congratulated Fennell and Mulligan on their awards haul. I know the assumption is that The Trial of the Chicago 7 will win with an overwhelming amount of actors support but it isn’t far fetched to imagine <i>Promising Young Woman </i>is in the top tier for the win.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

lol people are dropping Da 5 Bloods because of racist GG while ignoring all the love SAG gave it. It will get in on strength of Boseman double noms.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

PGA predictions: The Father Judas and the Black Messiah Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom Mank Minari News of the World Nomadland One Night in Miami Promising Young Woman The Trial of the Chicago 7

That’s what I’m predicting as well. News of the World feels like the PGA-only nominee out of all the Best Picture contenders this year.

John's Best of 2020

John's Best of 2021

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I also think CC’s lineup will be the same, except with News of the World being replaced by Sound of Metal. And maybe Da Five Bloods shows up in there somewhere.

John's Best of 2020

John's Best of 2021

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.