Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 4 posts - 496 through 499 (of 499 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
SN
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

lol people are dropping Da 5 Bloods because of racist GG while ignoring all the love SAG gave it. It will get in on strength of Boseman double noms.

SAG only nominated it for Best Cast to give Boseman his 4th nom, I think, and they also snubbed Delroy Lindo, which is pretty major. Lindo feels unlikely to make the Oscars after missing GG and SAG: he’s this year’s Robert De Niro for sure.

An ensemble nom for Da Five Bloods is good but it only represents Da Five Bloods’ strength with actors, not with the whole academy. There’s usually at least one ensemble nomination that kisses Best Picture every year, and while Minari could be that film, Da Five Bloods feels much more vulnerable. I think it’s only getting in for Boseman and maybe 1-2 technical noms at the Oscars.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Dominique Fishback
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

Profile picture
    Gabe Guarin
    Topics:

SAG only nominated it for Best Cast to give Boseman his 4th nom, I think, and they also snubbed Delroy Lindo, which is pretty major. Lindo feels unlikely to make the Oscars after missing GG and SAG: he’s this year’s Robert De Niro for sure. An ensemble nom for Da Five Bloods is good but it only represents Da Five Bloods’ strength with actors, not with the whole academy. There’s usually at least one ensemble nomination that kisses Best Picture every year, and while Minari could be that film, Da Five Bloods feels much more vulnerable. I think it’s only getting in for Boseman and maybe 1-2 technical noms at the Oscars.

I don’t trust the Academy to like Minari that much. Remember, they’re still very much conservative. As for Lindo, the De Niro comparison is off because there was no urgency to reward him again while there is an urgency to nominate Lindo. Da 5 Bloods’ strength with actors is important because the actors’ branch is the biggest branch in the Academy.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I don’t trust the Academy to like Minari that much. Remember, they’re still very much conservative. As for Lindo, the De Niro comparison is off because there was no urgency to reward him again while there is an urgency to nominate Lindo. Da 5 Bloods’ strength with actors is important because the actors’ branch is the biggest branch in the Academy.

Where’s the urgency to nominate Lindo?

Profile picture
    Ruby Sparks
    Topics:

Call me crazy, but I’m still not sure about Mank getting into Best Picture. I think it will have the most nominations but narrowly miss out a la Dreamgirls.

Viewing 4 posts - 496 through 499 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.