Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 499 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
SN
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

Oh and I know I’m double posting but god Small Axe is what I wanted from this Oscars year. Lovers Rock is the only film I’ve gotten a sense of compassion or intimacy from. Mangrove is just an incredibly made and structured piece. Red White and Blue is a hell of a character study. I could see all three being Best Picture nominees this year. Instead we get what feels like a funeral March for the motion picture.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Soul is fine but a pretty weak effort from Pixar. I don’t get the people who say that it deserves anything more than a best animated film nomination.

Score deserves recognition. And weak effort? People can really use a simple word to deny somebody’s work of years. If Soul is Pixar’s weak effort, there’re not many great ones left. I don’t think it would get in BP, but it’s no doubt that Soul is among Pixar’s best(and most mature) in these years.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini
    FYC: Soul & Judas and the Black Messiah

Profile picture
    Elazul
    Topics:

My problem with Soul is that seems Pixar is obsessed with this “death” theme that it keeps shoving into its screenplays but in this one it’s quite juvenile for adults but then it doesn’t have the cute factor for younger viewers either (unlike Inside Out). I think it would have been quite the underperformer in cinemas had it not been for the pandemic.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I loved News of the World way more than I should lol.

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

Whether I watch on theater, on laptop, on my phone, if it’s a movie that hits me, it will hit hard.
    I’m also the minority, I found most of this year’s contenders to be great, I watched Nomadland on my phone and I was hit and still thinking about it till this day.

Profile picture
    Manuelcolon
    Topics:

Score deserves recognition. And weak effort? People can really use a simple word to deny somebody’s work of years. If Soul is Pixar’s weak effort, there’re not many great ones left. I don’t think it would get in BP, but it’s no doubt that Soul is among Pixar’s best(and most mature) in these years.

Totally agree, thank you for saying it that way.

As i said a few weeks ago, Pixar (and any animated studio) does not and should not need to release the best film of all time to receive the recognition of Best Picture, specially when they have released their best plenty of times and it has not been nominated.

In a year like this i support a Soul nomination.

Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

Does anyone know if Joe Bell is still coming out this Oscar season?? Its still listed as being released in February but I haven’t heard anything about it. Has anyone seen the new edit? … I know it didn’t get the best reviews last Fall for the original cut, but they said they had planned an awards campaign. Have screeners gone out to voters??

It’s probably not going to be very good, but does feature an Academy Award nominated actor, Oscar winning writers and a Diane Warren penned song.

Profile picture
    Ruby Sparks
    Topics:

Can we just acknowledge that the argument that “Soul isn’t as good as other Pixar films” implies that a movie needs to be as good as Citizen Kane and The Godfather in order to get recognition?

The Shape of Water and The Departed are hardly the most beloved Del Toro and Scorsese films. But somehow there was more excitement for them to win Best Picture.

In virtually NO OTHER CATEGORY do we say “it’s not [potential nominee]’s best work of all time, so we just should not reward it.” 

FYC: Soul in ALL CATEGORIES

Profile picture
    Gabe Guarin
    Topics:

Da 5 Bloods is getting a Best Picture nomination.

Profile picture
    AmnistY21
    Topics:

I loved News of the World way more than I should lol.

I’m sorry.

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

News of the World has sunk to 6.9 on IMDb from 9K votes, but please keep telling me how this is an audience hit that will get the dad vote that carried Ford v Ferrari (8.1 from 289K votes).

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Does anyone know if Joe Bell is still coming out this Oscar season?? Its still listed as being released in February but I haven’t heard anything about it. Has anyone seen the new edit? … I know it didn’t get the best reviews last Fall for the original cut, but they said they had planned an awards campaign. Have screeners gone out to voters??

It’s probably not going to be very good, but does feature an Academy Award nominated actor, Oscar winning writers and a Diane Warren penned song.

It’s not coming this season anymore. The studio removed it from its February date.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

The IMDb scores for all movies this year are extremely yikes. I mean, most of these movies can’t even crack 20k…

A Fervent Believer in the Church of Viola Davis

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So since their release on VOD here are how the IMDB scores and ratings have changed for <i>One Night in Miami</i>, <i>News of the World </i>and Promising Young Woman (all of which were released on the same day):

– News of the World: 6.9 (-0.3), 9k votes (+7k)

– One Night in Miami: 7.3 (+0.2), 7.6k votes (+7.5k)

– Promising Young Woman: 7.5 (+0.1), 18k votes (+9k)

The IMDb scores for all movies this year are extremely yikes. I mean, most of these movies can’t even crack 20k…

So far only the following have (release dates in bold):

Tenet – 276k (26th August)
    Soul – 148k (25th December)
    The Trial of the Chicago 7 – 87k (16th October)
    I’m Thinking of Ending Things – 59k (4th September)
    Da 5 Bloods – 38k (12th June)
    Mank – 34k (4th December)
    Sound of Metal – 24k (4th December)
    Hillbilly Elegy – 22k (24th November)

Those approaching that mark:

The Prom – 19k (11th December)
    Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom – 19k (18th December)
    Promising Young Woman – 18k (15th January/25th December)
    Pieces of a Woman – 18k (7th January)

I haven’t included On the Rocks which has been stuck at 19k since like November.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

I know its only anecdotal but my dad (60s) HATED News of the World.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.