Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 499 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
SN
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

I’m sorry.

I know 😭
    I just loved, I’m sorry y’all

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think the thing that perplexes me about News of the World is something that is also perplexing me about <i>The Undoing </i>on the television side. We’ve been through an emotionally heavy year where almost all its other contenders are either feel good films that have something to say or dark films that have added poignancy due to the pandemic, the resurgence of the Black Lives Matter movement and greater understanding around systemic and institutional racism and being bolder and more unique stories told from the perspective of marginalised communities. So why is an under-seen Tom Hanks neo-western with lukewarm reviews going to do well above the line in this current climate? Its gotten a mixed reception from some HFPA members online, has only two performances with buzz so it will probably miss SAG ensemble and is being distributed by Netflix in the UK so it will probably get shut out at BAFTA.

I see no path for it outside tech.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Mason
    Topics:

So why is an under-seen Tom Hanks neo-western with lukewarm reviews going to do well above the line in this current climate? Its gotten a mixed reception from some HFPA members online, has only two performances with buzz so it will probably miss SAG ensemble and is being distributed by Netflix in the UK so it will probably get shut out at BAFTA.

Yeah it’s not getting in. I don’t understand why so many people have it so high in their BP lineup. It should be last barely hanging on and soon to be replaced.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

So why is an under-seen Tom Hanks neo-western with lukewarm reviews going to do well above the line in this current climate?

Underseen? It’s leading VOD charts right now.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

News of the World can still happen. The reason you’re all ruling it out is because critics groups didn’t like it. I still can see it being another FvF. It’s one of the few non R rated contenders this year and, as I’ve mentioned before, every year there are at least three non R rated nominees. This year we have Minari and The Father. The other could be Soul, but it’s also disappointing in Best Picture awards.

The unusual nature of this race is still going to surprise us. We had an unusual race last year due to the short deadline and nobody expected 1917 to be the runner-up. We have an even more unusual deadline this year, so unexpected things are surely going to happen.

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

The reason you’re all ruling it out is because critics groups didn’t like it. I still can see it being another FvF.

Um.

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

I think with it being only critics awards, we need to understand there will be a difference between what critics and industry voters will go for. Minari and First Cow will go down in rankings, and News of the World and Soul will go up.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

Profile picture
    Sagand
    Topics:

There’s a case to be made that if only 9k have watched News of the World that they are the type of people to closely follow the Oscar race and the critical reception so are the harshest raters. If it had been a normal year and it had 100k ratings you’d looking more at a general audience reaction and while it probably wouldn’t be where FvF is but could be closer to ‘Hell and High Water’ or ‘True Grit’ with a rating in the mid 7s.

I’ll be interested to see if it goes up or down when it gets released globally on Netflix.

Profile picture
    Calvin
    Topics:

Lee Isaac Chung moving into top 5 for the Experts’ picks, you absolutely love to see it.

FYC:

Picture - Minari, Nomadland, Another Round, Promising Young Woman
    Director - Chloe Zhao (Nomadland), Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Thomas Vinterberg (Another Round), Emerald Fennell (Promising Young Woman)
    Actor - Steven Yeun (Minari), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)
    Actress - Carey Mulligan (Promising Young Woman), Frances McDormand (Nomadland)
    S. Actor - Daniel Kaluuya (Judas and the Black Messiah), Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)
    S. Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    MysticMagix
    Topics:

One night in miami is winning best picture.

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

One night in miami is winning best picture.

And Kate Winslet is winning Best Actress.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

And Kate Winslet is winning Best Actress.

It’s really a possibility though. One Night In Miami… does seem like a very plausible choice. It really doesn’t have any haters and it’s not divisive.

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

It’s really a possibility though. One Night In Miami… does seem like a very plausible choice. It really doesn’t have any haters and it’s not divisive.

But it clearly doesn’t have enough passion either

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

But it clearly doesn’t have enough passion either

We don’t really know that yet. I think… I don’t know anymore. This race is a mess. Just lock that for Nomadland and save us from another Green Book.

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

We don’t really know that yet. I think… I don’t know anymore. This race is a mess. Just lock that for Nomadland and save us from another Green Book.

The Academy literally gave us Green Bookkk then Paralegend so I don’t know whether to trust them to make the right decision or be scared that they’ll award some bullshit movie

HFPA better not try it

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis, Frances McDormand
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supporting Actor - Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman
    Best Picture - Nomadland
    Best Director - Chloé Zhao
    SAG Ensemble - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Best Cinematography - Nomadland

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.