Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 499 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
SN
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

Still not buying Da 5 Bloods. It will miss for either The Father or Promising Young Woman.

FYC:

Lead Actor: Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round)

Supporting Actress: Maria Bakalova (Borat Subsequent Moviefilm)

Supporting Actor: Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

-----------------------------

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Profile picture
    lorelei lor
    Topics:

Still not buying Da 5 Bloods. It will miss for either The Father or Promising Young Woman.

I’m waiting to see how it does with the Globes since there’s tea they like it. If it misses Drama it’s not looking good.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Every week every BP contender is considered in danger on here.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Considering dropping News Of The World out to put Minari in. My Minari theory was based on missing on precursors, and this is one I didn’t expect it to make.

The Farewell also made AFI last year. And for what it’s worth, Ford v Ferrari didn’t, although the comparisons to News of the World we’ve been seeing on here might be a bit tenuous.

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

The Farewell also made AFI last year. And for what it’s worth, Ford v Ferrari didn’t, although the comparisons to News of the World we’ve been seeing on here might be a bit tenuous.

Yeah, I was thinking about News of the World in a similar light to FvF but having read more reactions to it recently it doesn’t sound like it has close to that level of passion and I’m pretty sure FvF only got in by the skin of its teeth last year anyway, so I’m dropping NOTW for now.

Every week every BP contender is considered in danger on here.

Not untrue, but there still does only seem to be two safe bets for a nom in Nomadland and Chicago 7, everything else has some sort of problem, the only other being close to safe imo is Ma Rainey. The Globes will sort this to a degree as I’d be willing to bet their 5 Drama noms will all be Picture noms, but for now it’s all pretty unclear what assortment of about 12 possible candidates will round out the line-up with those 2/3 mentioned.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Not untrue, but there still does only seem to be two safe bets for a nom in Nomadland and Chicago 7, everything else has some sort of problem, the only other being close to safe imo is Ma Rainey. The Globes will sort this to a degree as I’d be willing to bet their 5 Drama noms will all be Picture noms, but for now it’s all pretty unclear what assortment of about 12 possible candidates will round out the line-up with those 2/3 mentioned.

I agree.

I just want the Globe nominations to come up so the tension and suspense on here is resolved. I usually follow the TV awards more and it’s always exciting when Emmy noms are out because of this haha.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

I agree. I just want the Globe nominations to come up so the tension and suspense on here is resolved. I usually follow the TV awards more and it’s always exciting when Emmy noms are out because of this haha.

Yeah, the issue is it still leaves quite a few competing for the last 3/5 slots though haha. Even then, though, I don’t think it will clear up much unless it’s ones I have as further up my predictions like The Father, Judas or Mank. If they throw in films I see as slightly more at risk at the Oscars like ONIM and PYW, which I think they will, it actually just makes it more confusing, at least personally.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I can see a very big disparity between groups like the HFPA and industry bodies like BAFTA and SAG this year. I can see something like Billie Holliday do well with the Globes but Pieces of a Woman, Judas and the Black Messiah and Sound of Metal do better with the Oscars.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I thought it can get into this one at least but….. Promising Young Woman just missed Best Feature nom in Independent Spirit Award. First AFI and now Spirit Award… 2 miss in 24 hours

Film Independent likes to spread the wealth and are averse to nominating the more mainstream contenders in Feature. Look at how they nominated Three Billboards (like they did with Promising Young Woman) in multiple categories but it still missed Feature whilst Lady Bird, Get Out and Call Me By Your Name all got in.

You’re acting like it was completely ignored.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Might have to put Miami back into my BP lineup after its Altman win.

Profile picture
    FairWeatherAffair
    Topics:

I think I find it strange that people are still low on Da 5 Bloods. It’s clear that this is a repeat of two years ago with BlacKkKlansman: summer release that people are unsure of, but ultimately barrels its way through the season to the end. It’s getting in, and will possibly even break into director.

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

Might have to put Miami back into my BP lineup after its Altman win.

It’s not necessarily a sign of BP chances, previous winners include Mud, Inherent Vice, Mudbound and Suspiria. Since 2013, 4 Altman winners have not got a BP nomination, and 3 have. Granted ONIM has a better chance than Mud, Inherent Vice and Suspiria ever did, but I wouldn’t use it alone to guide my predictions, especially when ONIM missed in Feature, Director, Screenplay and Best First Feature.

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

I think I find it strange that people are still low on Da 5 Bloods. It’s clear that this is a repeat of two years ago with BlacKkKlansman: summer release that people are unsure of, but ultimately barrels its way through the season to the end. It’s getting in, and will possibly even break into director.

I also have it getting in to both too, but I don’t think they’re very comparable because Blackkklansman was substantially more popular with audiences and much less divisive. So, I understand why people haven’t been high on it in the past, but I think that might change over the next few weeks.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

NBR:

Best film: DA 5 BLOODS

Top Films:

First Cow

The Forty-Year-Old Version

Judas and the Black Messiah

The Midnight Sky

Minari

News of the World

Nomadland

Promising Young Woman

Soul Sound of Metal

Ouch Chicago 7. Ouch Ma Rainey. The Midnight Sky, wtf.

A Fervent Believer in the Church of Viola Davis

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

D5B is literally that Madison from AHS gif
    “Surprise bitch, you though you had seen the last of me”

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.