Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 8)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 8)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 501 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
SN
wolfali
Gabe Guarin
  • Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Judas SHOULD get in BP.

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

For what it’s worth, Judas just got an A CinemaScore.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Since the awards for 2016 films the only film that missed Best Picture after getting in for the same category at AACTA was The King (which was an Australian film). I’m glad to see The Father officially become a lock in Best Picture as it more or less always has been in my predictions.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

Why is nobody talking about Judas? 😐

Cause it’s meh. A screenplay that only sketches rather than paints and with the most annoyingly overlong postscript of the year (and with an end credits song that is totally wrong for the tone). Very average shot choices and frame composition and lighting and sense of flow. Fine performances, not earthshattering. But of course plenty of people will rave about what an important story it is.

Profile picture
    Bird
    Topics:

My theory on the lack of Judas hype is that it started screening too late. Usually when films screen late, it’s during the holiday season where people in the industry have time to watch their screeners. This year, late means end of January/February. And despite the Pandemic, Hollywood is still booming (I work in the industry and it’s really insane how busy it actually is…). People don’t have as much time to watch the films now as they would in December. maybe the HBOMAX release will build hype so those voter’s who haven’t seen it yet will make time.

Profile picture
    lorelei lor
    Topics:

Cause it’s meh. A screenplay that only sketches rather than paints and with the most annoyingly overlong postscript of the year (and with an end credits song that is totally wrong for the tone). Very average shot choices and frame composition and lighting and sense of flow. Fine performances, not earthshattering. But of course plenty of people will rave about what an important story it is.

I don’t understand the hype either. Emotionally empty movie reduced to a cat and mouse game instead of focusing more on Fred Hampton’s ideals and what he and the Black Panthers were fighting for. The narrative is so messy and like someone else already pointed out the movie jumps erratically from one scene to another. You don’t really know too much about Stanfield’s character or how he gets so close to someone as important as the leader of the Black Panthers. I really thought I missed some important scene and had to go back and check because it made no sense. Great performances nevertheless especially from Kaluuya and Dominique Fishback.

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

With 2000+ votes, Judas is rising to 7.9 on IMDb.

I think its final rating will land at 7.7, which will make it the top 5 among major Oscars contenders this year, behind only Soul(8.1), Chicago7(7.8), and maybe Minari.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

Nomadland, Trial of the Chicago 7, Minari, and Promising Young Woman all getting Picture at AACTA further cements them as locks, with Mank definietly 5th. I also think Zhao, Fincher, Sorkin, and Fennell are 100% Top 4.

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Imagine if Sorkin got Oscars BD before Fincher……

I need a drink.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    MysticMagix
    Topics:

https://twitter.com/CinemaScore/status/1360615391207292936?s=19

Judas get A cinemascore

This movie could sneak up. But it should of came out earlier

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Nomadland, Trial of the Chicago 7, Minari, and Promising Young Woman all getting Picture at AACTA further cements them as locks, with Mank definietly 5th. I also think Zhao, Fincher, Sorkin, and Fennell are 100% Top 4.

So that means Soul isnt dead as this forum was proclaiming considering the director nom?

I said that right after Sundance.

Profile picture
    puck05
    Topics:

I finally watched Steve McQueen’s Mangrove and it’s so baffling that it can’t compete at Oscars. TTOTC7 looks like a Disney movie compared to Mangrove.

Profile picture
    The Girls' Room
    Topics:

I don’t understand the hype either. Emotionally empty movie reduced to a cat and mouse game instead of focusing more on Fred Hampton’s ideals and what he and the Black Panthers were fighting for. The narrative is so messy and like someone else already pointed out the movie jumps erratically from one scene to another. You don’t really know too much about Stanfield’s character or how he gets so close to someone as important as the leader of the Black Panthers. I really thought I missed some important scene and had to go back and check because it made no sense. Great performances nevertheless especially from Kaluuya and Dominique Fishback.

You can’t fault a film for not being about what you want.

watch I May Destroy You

Profile picture
    MysticMagix
    Topics:

I finally watched Steve McQueen’s Mangrove and it’s so baffling that it can’t compete at Oscars. TTOTC7 looks like a Disney movie compared to Mangrove.

Ikr

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

You can fault a film for focusing on the wrong things, absolutely.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 8)’ is closed to new replies.