Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 9)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 520 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
SN
JackO
  • Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

What do you guys think is winning PGA? Weirdly enough, I’m leaning towards Minari.

Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

Director should be:

Chloe Zhao – Nomadland
    Lee Isaac Chung – Minari
    Regina King – One Night in Miami
    David Fincher – Mank
    Spike Lee – Da 5 Bloods

…with Emerald Fennell and Darius Marder next in line.

It will probably be:

Chloe Zhao – Nomadland
    Lee Isaac Chung – Minari
    David Fincher – Mank
    Aaron Sorkin – Trial of the Chicago 7
    Florian Zeller – The Father

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Nomadland will most certainly win BAFTA, because of the voting system and because Chicago 7 is too tied with American politics. Also, the Golden Globes winner often match up with BAFTA Best Film winners

I’m leaning towards Chicago 7 winning PGA because of the preferential ballot, but I just can’t see the Producers Guild of America awarding a Netflix movie.

There’s a chance Nomadland ends the season with Globes, BAFTA, PGA and Best Picture. The last movie to do so was 12 Years a Slave

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

I’m leaning towards Chicago 7 winning PGA because of the preferential ballot, but I just can’t see the Producers Guild of America awarding a Netflix movie.

Yeah I’m interested to see this too. I’m not sure why exactly, but something is telling me they’ll be even less likely to want to reward Netflix than the Oscars will. I could see Nomadland taking this, as a result, which would make the Oscars pretty routine barring a major shock from Minari or Trial (waiting to see where SAG and Original go), because I agree it’s taking BAFTA too.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Nomadland will win BAFTA, PGA and the Oscar.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think it’s quite possible that they just nominate all three of Fennell, King and Zhao cover themselves. The fact that they were front and centre of the Globes telecast whether it was Fey and Poehler’s shout out or Sorkin’s speech might help them.

The question I have is if all three of Fennell, King and Zhao get in, who misses? Sorkin would if all three of them miss I guess but whose chances would be “over”? Zeller and Greengrass? Chung?

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Nomadland will win BAFTA, PGA and the Oscar.

Just like 1917?

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

I think it’s quite possible that they just nominate all three of Fennell, King and Zhao cover themselves. The fact that they were front and centre of the Globes telecast whether it was Fey and Poehler’s shout out or Sorkin’s speech might help them. The question I have is if all three of Fennell, King and Zhao get in, who misses? Sorkin would if all three of them miss I guess but whose chances would be “over”? Zeller and Greengrass? Chung?

I’d be pretty surprised if all three get in, but it is possible. I don’t think the Directors branch, perhaps least out of all of them in fact, nominates to cover themselves in this way, though. It’s a bit of a difficult one anyway, because even here they’ll probably get slated for not nominating Chung. I think most feasible line-ups have ‘good optics’ anyway, really, but are also open to critique, because of the sheer volume of choices. One line-up that is very feasible to me and fits your line of thinking too is Zhao, Fincher, Chung, Fennell and King. Sorkin missing isn’t a big reach, to be honest, even if the film does well with nominations.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

I’d be pretty surprised if all three get in, but it is possible. I don’t think the Directors branch, perhaps least out of all of them in fact, nominates to cover themselves in this way, though. It’s a bit of a difficult one anyway, because even here they’ll probably get slated for not nominating Chung. I think most feasible line-ups have ‘good optics’ anyway, really, but are also open to critique, because of the sheer volume of choices. One line-up that is very feasible to me and fits your line of thinking too is Zhao, Fincher, Chung, Fennell and King. Sorkin missing isn’t a big reach, to be honest, even if the film does well with nominations.

Sorkin isnt missing for an MTV movie

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Sorkin isnt missing for an MTV movie

No one said Ron Howard was going to get nominated over Sorkin.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Just like 1917?

Yeah, because Chitago 7 has as much buzz as Parasite…

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I think it’s quite possible that they just nominate all three of Fennell, King and Zhao cover themselves. The fact that they were front and centre of the Globes telecast whether it was Fey and Poehler’s shout out or Sorkin’s speech might help them. The question I have is if all three of Fennell, King and Zhao get in, who misses? Sorkin would if all three of them miss I guess but whose chances would be “over”? Zeller and Greengrass? Chung?

I don’t think Chung needs a BAFTA and DGA nom. He could get in as a passion pick like Lenny Abrahamson, who wasn’t nominated for anything before the Oscars.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Chung is getting in.I got a feeling. It’s now whether a woman of the 3 nominated at the Globes will be snubbed. Not Zhao obviously. Or will Sorkin be snubbed (though I think he is safe since Chicago has somewhat flashier directing compared to small scale three billboards).

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I’ll be really annoyed if King and Sorkin manage to get nominated over Chung only based on their name recognitions. They were just fine (King still better than Sorkin), not at all comparable to Lee Isaac’s wonderful work in Minari. Only the fight scene at the beginning is better than everything King and Sorkin did. I’d also pay to see King and Sorkin trying to direct kids, especially to make them act nuanced and subtle like the kids in Minari.

One Night in Miami’s MVP was Kemp Powers and his brilliant dialogue and screenplay. Is it for the sake of diversity ? Lee Isaac is a POC too, but you won’t see people complaining about it if he gets snubbed.

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

I’ll be really annoyed if King and Sorkin manage to get nominated over Chung only based on their name recognitions. They were just fine (King still better than Sorkin), not at all comparable to Lee Isaac’s wonderful work in Minari. Only the fight scene at the beginning is better than everything King and Sorkin did. I’d also pay to see King and Sorkin trying to direct kids, especially to make them act nuanced and subtle like the kids in Minari. One Night in Miami’s MVP was Kemp Powers and his brilliant dialogue and screenplay. Is it for the sake of diversity ? Lee Isaac is a POC too, but you won’t see people complaining about it if he gets snubbed.

This may sound counter-intuitive, but I think name-recognition actually works against Sorkin and King in director, because he is known as a writer (and it shows in the movie – I also think many will think: well, if someone else had directed this from his script it would be stronger) and she is known as an actor (notoriously quite difficult for actors to break in to nominations here). The branch will be well aware of Minari, so Chung being a relative unknown shouldn’t be a massive problem, imo, when the film is so well regarded and his work has been so widely praised, and is up against contenders directors may not be as receptive of as we might think.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 520 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.