Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 9)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 520 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
SN
JackO
  • Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Ben Affleck won an Oscar before Argo too. When are y’all gonna understand that the directors’ branch absolutely hates being told what to do? They don’t care who’s popular or who won an Oscar already, they’re gonna put something in the category cause they like it. Trial is not an auteury piece of filmmaking. Sorkin is not safe

Fair point. But I consider Affleck’s snub one of the biggest anomaly in the directing branch history. Perhaps he was snubbed because they still saw him as an actor more than a director. Regardless everyone has great points and I do hope Sorkin gets snubbed. Chicago was atrocious.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Fair point. But I consider Affleck’s snub one of the biggest anomaly in the directing branch history. Perhaps he was snubbed because they still saw him as an actor more than a director. Regardless everyone has great points and I do hope Sorkin gets snubbed. Chicago was atrocious.

Argo’s not an auteur piece either. It’s not necessarily the biggest directing showcase

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Argo’s not an auteur piece either. It’s not necessarily the biggest directing showcase

Yea it’s really not. I was mostly surprised at the snub since Affleck had won DGA.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Perhaps he was snubbed because they still saw him as an actor more than a director.

This is why I think Sorkin will be snubbed. They see him more as a writer than a director.

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

It’s also partly why I think Regina King will also be snubbed. That movie’s also not a directing piece

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The thing that makes me think King is ahead of Sorkin is because there is more going for her (the potential historic moment of three female directors getting in, her being the first Black woman to get nominated for directing).

FYC: All things The Crown, Hacks and I May Destroy You (and Hannah Waddingham and Julianne Nicholson whilst you're at it)!!

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

The thing that makes me think King is ahead of Sorkin is because there is more going for her (the potential historic moment of three female directors getting in, her being the first Black woman to get nominated for directing).

</p>
    This is the directors’ branch still. They like their auteurs, which Regina King is not. Emerald Fennell is. Lee Isaac Chung is. Not Regina

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Someone is getting snubbed from the Globes director lineup. It’s just a matter of finding out who. In any scenario I am certain Chung will make it to the Oscars.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Someone is getting snubbed from the Globes director lineup. It’s just a matter of finding out who. In any scenario I am certain Chung will make it to the Oscars.

I say Regina, but I’m banking on a Sorkin snub too

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Sorkin and maybe Regina and I’d say they’ll be replaced by Chung and Zeller.

Profile picture
    The Girls' Room
    Topics:

All I want is some love for Vinterberg and Shaka King. Apparently too much to ask for.

watch I May Destroy You

Profile picture
    Manuelcolon
    Topics:

News of the World is #7 or #8, easily. It’s been doing great at guilds and the craft team is beloved by the Academy, also one of the few big studio movies this season. It feels like Ford v Ferrari.

However, movies like Sound of Metal and The Father could easily get pushed to BP (over Judas or ONIM or News of the World) a la Winter’s Bone and Room, because of the acting branch.

This may help you:

Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom (9 – SAG, WGA, MUAH, ADG, CSA, MPSE, SDSA, CDG, AFI)

The Trial of Chicago 8 (7 – SAG, WGA, ADG, CSA, MPSE, CAS, SDSA, AFI)

Mank (8 – MUAH, ADG, MPSE, CAS, VES, SDSA, CDG, AFI)

Da 5 Bloods (7 – SAG, ADG, CSA, VES, SDSA, CDG, AFI)

News of the World (6 – WGA, ADG, MPSE, CAS, VES, SDSA)

Promising Young Woman (6 – WGA, MUAH, ADG, CSA, SDSA, CDG)

Sound Of Metal (6 – WGA, CSA, MPSE, CAS, SDSA, AFI)

Soul (5 – ADG, CSA, MPSE, VES, AFI)

One Night in Miami (4 – SAG, WGA, CDG, AFI)

Judas and the Black Messiah (4 – WGA, CSA, CDG, AFI)

Minari (3 – SAG, CSA, AFI)

Nomadland (2 – MPSE, AFI)

The Father (0)

Are you keeping track of the guilds? Or you find the list somewhere? I have been looking up for one.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Are you keeping track of the guilds? Or you find the list somewhere? I have been looking up for one.

I found the list on Twitter. I can’t recall who posted it.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Sorkin and maybe Regina and I’d say they’ll be replaced by Chung and Zeller.

I legitimately believe that Lee Isaac Chung is in the Director lineup. That Golden Globes speech really did something. All he needs is a DGA and/or BAFTA nomination to seal the deal.

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think Chung is getting in at BAFTA. Are they really going to nominate Zhao as the only person of colour in directing?

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 520 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.