Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 9)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 520 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
SN
JackO
  • Profile picture
    federico rubachin
    Topics:

the thing with sound of metal is that at first only THR realized that it was going to be nominated, so it is understandable there that there were doubts. Later variety and is already well established in both. In golderby it’s like it comes with a delay

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

If The Father misses BAFTA tomorrow then yes, it’s this year’s Two Popes.

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

I still have the Father in best picture but I wouldn’t be shocked if it were snubbed. Best picture is difficult to predict this year in my not at all humble opinion.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

lol people shocked that the father isnt happening lol

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

If <i>Promising Young Woman </i>makes BAFTA tomorrow then it officially is top 4.

The visibility problem is huge for The Father.

Public visibility and industry visibility are two different things. We’ve seen many actors,  especially those in the British bloc, come out in support of his film online, it made AACTA and got both Anthony Hopkins and Olivia Colman in at SAG (which <i>The Two Popes </i>failed to do with Pryce/Hopkins). It got long-listed at BAFTA 8 times.

It may have low visibility with the general public and with critics but that simply doesn’t appear to be the case with the industry. I actually predicted its PGA snub because The Father is not a populist crowdpleaser.

Put it this way. If it misses BAFTA tomorrow then I might change my mind. But as long as it makes the BAFTA five I see no reason for why it should be as low as 10th at the Oscars.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Reminder: variety was predicting snooze of the world for BP and director.

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Da 5 Bloods is a good movie but it’s very off-putting. It won’t get a best picture nomination. Judas, Ma Rainey and the like killed it’s chances. Chadwick will get in supporting but baring a tech or two that’s it for the film.

Profile picture
    AmnistY21
    Topics:

lol people shocked that the father isnt happening lol

lol you saying an hour ago Soul was getting into BP

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

One Night in Miami, a mediocre debut made by Regina King, over Da 5 Bloods and The Father is really off-putting.

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Soul is mid-tier Pixar. It will win best animated film because Disney.

Profile picture
    DaKardii
    Topics:

POST-PGA PREDICTIONS

Best Picture

1. Nomadland
    2. The Trial of the Chicago 7
    3. Mank
    4. Promising Young Woman
    5. Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
    6. Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    7. Minari
    8. One Night in Miami
    9. Sound of Metal
    10. Judas and the Black Messiah

Best Director

1. Chloe Zhao (Nomadland)
    2. Emerald Fennell (Promising Young Woman)
    3. Aaron Sorkin (The Trial of the Chicago 7)
    4. David Fincher (Mank)
    5. Regina King (One Night in Miami)
    Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

Da 5 Bloods is a good movie but it’s very off-putting. It won’t get a best picture nomination. Judas, Ma Rainey and the like killed it’s chances. Chadwick will get in supporting but baring a tech or two that’s it for the film.

Da 5 Bloods is a great movie and exactly the sort that the Oscar voting system is supposed to benefit. This movie will be more studied in the future than any of the others you just mentioned.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Does anybody know why Margot Robbie wasn’t listed as a Producer of Promising Young Woman by the Guild?

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Da 5 Bloods is a great movie and exactly the sort that the Oscar voting system is supposed to benefit. This movie will be more studied in the future than any of the others you just mentioned.

I hate the “studied in the future” response. It’s such a fanboy response. I’ve even seen Batman v Superman fanboys claim the same thing about that awful movie.

Just say that you loved the movie and it deserved to get nominated. I don’t usually predict based on what I want to happen. I’d suck even more at predicting if I did that.

Profile picture
    Zuranthium
    Topics:

I’ve even seen Batman v Superman fanboys claim the same thing about that awful movie.

Dumb people are dumb, so what.

And a movie being studied isn’t something I would say of all the films I love. But as a Spike Lee film, and being his most interesting one from a directorial perspective (and also having a tremendous and now very underrated screenplay), it will be revisited more. The way it ties together the Vietnam era and the present, a link that is applicative to other such world events, is something that’s cinematically and humanly enlightening.

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 520 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.