Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 9)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 356 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
14 mins ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
SN
Philip
  • Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Mank is locked for 13 Oscar nominations whether you like it or not. Deal with it.

This is one of the most delusional takes I’ve read in a while. Mank is locked for like 6 nominations (Picture, Director, Cinematography, Score, Production Design, Costumes Design). All the others are either very likely or on the bubble. Not locked.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    jvcruzeiro
    Topics:

The last time a movie won Best Picture without winning SAG or PGA or WGA (At least one) was in 2004. Million Dollar Baby, which only won DGA and Best Director at Globes. It was also shut out at BAFTA due to late screeners.

So let’s state that Nomadland will have a hard time winning Best Picture, since Chicago 7 is pretty much PGA’s piece of cake. And, unlike Million Dollar Baby, Nomadland isn’t even nominated to SAG and WGA.

I know people like to shit on Golden Globes, but if Promising Young Woman manages to win Drama Film at Golden Globes, it would be pretty big for the movie, because WGA will probably be Chicago 7 x PYW as well, and Emerald will win First Feature at DGA.

SAG is widely open, so something like Minari or Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom winning isn’t impossible either.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Mank is definitely getting a ton of Oscar nominations. It’s right up their alley. Especially on the technical side.

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

The last time a movie won Best Picture without winning SAG or PGA or WGA (At least one) was in 2004. Million Dollar Baby, which only won DGA and Best Director at Globes. It was also shut out at BAFTA due to late screeners.

So let’s state that Nomadland will have a hard time winning Best Picture, since Chicago 7 is pretty much PGA’s piece of cake. And, unlike Million Dollar Baby, Nomadland isn’t even nominated to SAG and WGA.

I know people like to shit on Golden Globes, but if Promising Young Woman manages to win Drama Film at Golden Globes, it would be pretty big for the movie, because WGA will probably be Chicago 7 x PYW as well, and Emerald will win First Feature at DGA.

SAG is widely open, so something like Minari or Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom winning isn’t impossible either.

Nomadland wasn’t eligible at WGA.

Chicago 7 is right up PGA’s alley? How?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    jvcruzeiro
    Topics:

Nomadland wasn’t eligible at WGA. Chicago 7 is right up PGA’s alley? How?

I know Nomadland wasn’t eligible. That’s not the point.

PGA likes crowdpleasing and acessible movies. It seems obvious to me that Chicago 7 is winning there.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

Well it is very important to note that it isn’t eligible because if it was eligible it might win. So the stat you’re bringing up doesn’t mean much

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Fun fact: no female directed film ever won the Drama Golden Globe. Is Chicago 7 really winning?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

PGA likes crowdpleasing and acessible movies. It seems obvious to me that Chicago 7 is winning there.

The Shape of Water is crowdpleasing and accessible? Birdman? The Big Short? 1917?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

The Shape of Water is crowdpleasing and accessible? Birdman? The Big Short? 1917?

The Shape of Water absolutely is a crowdpleaser, it has a happy ending and a fairly universal message of love. Birdman is a stylistic exercise that’s relatively easy to grasp. The Big Short literally explains its most complicated concepts in the most blunt way possible. 1917 is a story-light and not confronting war action video game. These aren’t alienating films.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

The Shape of Water absolutely is a crowdpleaser, it has a happy ending and a fairly universal message of love. Birdman is a stylistic exercise that’s relatively easy to grasp. The Big Short literally explains its most complicated concepts in the most blunt way possible. 1917 is a story-light and not confronting war action video game. These aren’t alienating films.

I forgot, screwing a sea creature is totally accessible lol.

None of those movies are general audience friendly.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

1917 is totally general audience friendly. It’s box office proves that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Cocastique
    Topics:

I hope to GOD Nomadland won’t win. Actually, I hope to GOD neither Nomadland, PYW, Mank or Trial of the Chicago 7 win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

1917 is totally general audience friendly. It’s box office proves that.

I don’t know anyone outside my film friends that saw it. Ask them if they even heard of 1917 and and would say no.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Cocastique
    Topics:

I don’t know anyone outside my film friends that saw it. Ask them if they even heard of 1917 and and would say no.

And ? Your circle of friends isn’t proof to anything. When I saw it, the theater was absolutely packed. And many of my friends or people at college talked about it and said they loved it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Fun fact: no female directed film ever won the Drama Golden Globe. Is Chicago 7 really winning?

Unfortunately yes.

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 356 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.