Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 502 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
The Person Fo..
  • Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

Sorkin is not getting a directing nomination for this. The directing branch is full of snobs and I’m sure they won’t give him a nomination for something this average.

It’s not like they haven’t nominated much worse.

Also not you removing your Jeremy Strong avatar immediately after GD starts trashing his acting 💀

rubbish

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

It’s not like they haven’t nominated much worse.

I don’t think they really nominated anything that is much worst than this last decade. Maybe Adam McKay for Vice, but at Vice tried to do something interesting with the biopic formula. Chicago is as pedestrian as it gets.

EDIT: Also Morten Tyldum, God what a forgettable nomination. But Tyldum had the black magic of W*******n..

Profile picture
    Topics:

I don’t think they really nominated anything that is much worst than this last decade. Maybe Adam McKay for Vice, but at Vice tried to do something interesting with the biopic formula. Chicago is as pedestrian as it gets. EDIT: Also Morten Tyldum, God what a forgettable nomination. But Tyldum had the black magic of W **n..

Todd Philips… Joker’s direction was almost tragically average, unoriginal, completely overshadowed by every other element of the movie. Russel, Reitman were also pretty undeserving in my humble opinion.

I gotta be honest here; I actually liked the Imitation Game. I watched it when I was 13 and I had a big crush on Matthew Goode, Keira Knightley, and Cumberbatch.

rubbish

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

It’s not like they haven’t nominated much worse. Also not you removing your Jeremy Strong avatar immediately after GD starts trashing his acting 💀

Surprisingly, the directors tend to make better choices than the rest, for example leaving Peter Farrelly out and including Pawlikowski (and Lanthimos). Like some had said in other threads, the directing in this is just basic, not awful but there’s nothing memorable about it.

Regarding Jeremy, it was that or post his Chicago 7 performance on the Razzie thread… I also thought it was a good moment to start the Luca Martinelli payola since I think he’s eligible for the Oscar this year. We will be back with a Jeremy avatar when Succession returns.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Hardly a surprise considering how appalling the trailer looked but Rebecca starts off at 46 on Metacritic and 55% on Rotten Tomatoes.

However the technicals are getting raves so we should watch out for those popping up at the Oscars in somewhere like Costume Design and Kristin Scott Thomas has been receiving raves as well (which is hardly a surprise considering it’s Kristin Scott Thomas) so we should watch out for her potentially popping up at BAFTA and SAG like Emily Blunt did for The Girl on the Train.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

Hardly a surprise considering how appalling the trailer looked but Rebecca starts off at 46 on Metacritic and 55% on Rotten Tomatoes. However the technicals are getting raves so we should watch out for those popping up at the Oscars in somewhere like Costume Design and Kristin Scott Thomas has been receiving raves as well (which is hardly a surprise considering it’s Kristin Scott Thomas) so we should watch out for her potentially popping up at BAFTA and SAG like Emily Blunt did for The Girl on the Train.

I didn’t have high hopes for this remake. I’ll stick with the Hitchcock classic.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I didn’t have high hopes for this remake.

Who does (apart from Lily James and maybe Dominic West lol)?

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Foolio
    Topics:

DIRECTING

Frontrunners

Chloe Zhao, Nomadland
    David Fincher, Mank

Next in line

Paul Greengrass, News of the World
    Shaka King, Judas and the Black Messiah
    Florian Zeller, The Father
    Aaron Sorkin, The Trial of the Chicago 7

On the brink

Ron Howard, Hillbilly Elegy
    Regina King, One Night in Miami
    Lee Isaac Chung, Minari
    Spike Lee, Da 5 Bloods

Strong possibilities

George C. Wolfe, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Christopher Nolan, Tenet
    Tom McCarthy, Stillwater

Possibilities

Charlie Kaufman, I’m Thinking of Ending Things
    Eliza Hittman, Never, Rarely, Sometimes, Always

Longer shots

Anthony & Joe Russo, Cherry
    Sofia Coppola, On the Rocks
    Miranda July, Kajillionaire
    Emerald Fennell, Promising Young Woman
    Taylor Sheridan, Those Who Wish Me Dead
    Lee Daniels, The United States vs Billie Holiday
    Josephine Decker, Shirley
    Azazel Jacobs, French Exit
    Steven Soderbergh, Let Them All Talk
    Armano Ianucci, The Personal History of David Copperfield
    Francis Lee, Ammonite
    Dominic Cooke, The Courier
    Liesl Tommy, Respect

Theoretical possibilities

Kornel Mundruczo, Pieces of a Woman
    Mona Fastvold, The World to Come
    George Clooney, The Midnight Sky
    Radha Blank, The 40-Year-Old Version
    Ramin Bahrani, The White Tiger
    Barry Levinson, Harry Haft
    Robin Wright, Land

Profile picture
    Foolio
    Topics:

PICTURE

Frontrunners

Nomadland
    Mank

Next in line

Judas and the Black Messiah
    News of the World
    One Night in Miami
    The Trial of the Chicago 7
    The Father

On the brink

Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    Minari
    Hillbilly Elegy

Strong possibilities

Stillwater
    Da 5 Bloods
    Soul
    The United States vs. Billie Holiday

Possibilities

Tenet
    Never, Rarely, Sometimes, Always

Longer shots

Ammonite
    On the Rocks
    Cherry
    Pieces of a Woman
    I’m Thinking of Ending Things
    French Exit
    Kajillionaire
    Respect
    Promising Young Woman
    The World to Come
    Those Who Wish Me Dead
    The Personal History of David Copperfield
    Let Them All Talk
    The Midnight Sky
    Shirley
    The Courier
    The 40-Year-Old Version

Theoretical possibilities

Fever Dream
    The Boys in the Band
    C’mon C’mon
    Harry Haft
    Eternal Beauty
    Good Joe Bell
    The White Tiger
    There Is No Evil
    Without Remorse
    Sylvie’s Love
    Herself
    All Day and a Night
    Louis Wain
    Worth
    The Prom
    The Good House
    Falling
    Land

Profile picture
    Topics:

Hardly a surprise considering how appalling the trailer looked but Rebecca starts off at 46 on Metacritic and 55% on Rotten Tomatoes. However the technicals are getting raves so we should watch out for those popping up at the Oscars in somewhere like Costume Design and Kristin Scott Thomas has been receiving raves as well (which is hardly a surprise considering it’s Kristin Scott Thomas) so we should watch out for her potentially popping up at BAFTA and SAG like Emily Blunt did for The Girl on the Train.

Production design perhaps, if they’ve done Manderley justice. But the styling all looked anachronistic from the trailer. There’s no VFX. I doubt it’s going to get hairstyling/makeup nominations for very basic styles on like 2 female characters.

rubbish

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

I also thought it was a good moment to start the Luca Martinelli payola since I think he’s eligible for the Oscar this year.

I had wondered about Marinelli getting a Marcello Mastroianni-type nomination, but for that Martin Eden would need Sony Pictures Classics, not Kino Lorber.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

1. Fincher
    2. Zhao
    3. Sorkin
    4. Greengrass
    5. Zeller

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I don’t understand the confidence in News of the World. Maybe I’ll wait for the critics reviews.

Profile picture
    Topics:

I don’t understand the confidence in News of the World. Maybe I’ll wait for the critics reviews.

Greengrass is an industry fave

rubbish

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Greengrass made Captain Phillips, which got 6 nominations including Best Picture, United 94 which got 2 nominations including Best Director, and The Bourne Supremacy which got 3 wins. He’s really well liked by the Academy and in a year that’s sparse on content News of the World feels like a film that could do really well in the technicals. I’m predicting a 3rd win for Mark Bridges in Costume Design.

Fuck the Grammys

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 502 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director’ is closed to new replies.