Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 502 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
The Person Fo..
  • Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

Mank looks like a guaranteed  winner…

… In the 00s, yet I’m not quite sure that’s the Academy we have right now.

I think there’s an element of the Academy less falling for “films about films” these days. The Artist and Argo were the last big ones of those in the Best Picture winners. The sorts of films that are winners now are Moonlight, Parasite, The Shape of Water. These are films that are about considerably more in their themes than how great movies are (OK, The Shape of Water had a bit of that, but it’s a tertiary theme to the parable of discrimination and liberating sexuality). Arguably, they moved cinema forward, new voices being celebrated.

That Mank trailer felt like comfort food for old Academy members. But I doubt that cinema worship is enough – La La Land lost to Moonlight, A Star Is Born lost to Green Book, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood lost to Parasite.

This is a new era. Adjust your predictions accordingly.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

I just finished watching Minari via the Aspen Film Festival. Loved it, but I will be very surprised if the Academy embraces this type of film. It’s strange in that it very much feels like a small independent foreign language film, but it is produced by some major Hollywood players, like Brad Pitt. I’m conflicted. I can’t think of another film like this that has been nominated for BP in recent years.

If it happens, it will be pretty cool. I think a major Oscar campaign could result in noms for BP, Director, Original Screenplay, Cinematography and maybe Score. As the biggest name in the cast, Steven Yeun obviously has the best shot a scoring an acting nom, but his performance does fall somewhere between a lead and supporting role, which could hurt his chances.

Profile picture
    Manuelcolon
    Topics:

I also feel like Mank won’t win Best Picture because lately it has gone to more social/passionate/ films, this seems like more of a La La Land.

In fact, i’m going to say that i’m sure it won’t win, it will definitely win other awards and might be the biggest winner of the night, but not Best Picture. This screams Roma, 1917, La La Land to me.

Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

I also feel like Mank won’t win Best Picture because lately it has gone to more social/passionate/ films, this seems like more of a La La Land. In fact, i’m going to say that i’m sure it won’t win, it will definitely win other awards and might be the biggest winner of the night, but not Best Picture. This screams Roma, 1917, La La Land to me.

What do you think will win?

Profile picture
    Manuelcolon
    Topics:

What do you think will win?

Nomadland has a chance, we will have to see if it holds up through the award season.

What i want to see winning is Soul, it’s time for an animated film to win! Pixar has been deserving of the award soooo many times.

Profile picture
    Madson Melo
    Topics:

In a normal year I would say ”Mank” was not winning, but in 2020 I don’t see anything else having the traction to deny a powerhouse movie from Fincher if the movie is actually acclaimed.

Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

I do think the Best Picture winner will be somewhat influenced by the outcome of the election.

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Anthony Hopkins- The Father
    FYC: Chadwick Boseman - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Male/Straight/BLM

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

1. Mank
    2. Nomadland
    3. The Trial of Chicago 7
    4. One Night in Miami
    5. The Father
    6. Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    7. Da 5 Bloods
    8. Minari
    9. Hillbilly Elegy

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I do think the Best Picture winner will be somewhat influenced by the outcome of the election.

If Biden loses then yes. If Biden wins then I don’t think so.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Mank looks like a guaranteed winner… … In the 00s, yet I’m not quite sure that’s the Academy we have right now. I think there’s an element of the Academy less falling for “films about films” these days. The Artist and Argo were the last big ones of those in the Best Picture winners. The sorts of films that are winners now are Moonlight, Parasite, The Shape of Water. These are films that are about considerably more in their themes than how great movies are (OK, The Shape of Water had a bit of that, but it’s a tertiary theme to the parable of discrimination and liberating sexuality). Arguably, they moved cinema forward, new voices being celebrated. That Mank trailer felt like comfort food for old Academy members. But I doubt that cinema worship is enough – La La Land lost to Moonlight, A Star Is Born lost to Green Book, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood lost to Parasite. This is a new era. Adjust your predictions accordingly.

As I’ve said before, Mank is exactly the type of film that will sweep the major awards at the Globes, PGA’s, and BAFTA’s yet lose the Oscar for Best Picture. Prepare for exactly that.

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Full News of the World trailer. Looks much better than that TV spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTZDb_iKooI&feature=emb_title

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

If there has to be a feel good factor involved for the BP line up, News of the World seems a lot more fitting (and personally preferable) than Hillbilly Elegy, to me. It has the bonus of not being a Netflix movie, and Greengrass has a more consistent track record with the Academy than Howard.

rubbish

Profile picture
    Mickmack
    Topics:

If there has to be a feel good factor involved for the BP line up, News of the World seems a lot more fitting (and personally preferable) than Hillbilly Elegy, to me. It has the bonus of not being a Netflix movie, and Greengrass as a more consistent track record with the Academy than Howard.

He has?

Profile picture
    Mason
    Topics:

Full News of the World trailer. Looks much better than that TV spot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTZDb_iKooI&feature=emb_title

I could see this winning in the 90s.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Updated Best Director Predictions:

1. David Fincher- ‘Mank’
    2. Chloe Zhao- ‘Nomadland’
    3. Shaka King- ‘Judas and the Black Messiah’
    4. Florian Zeller- ‘The Father’
    5. Lee Daniels- ‘The United States vs. Billie Holiday’

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 502 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director’ is closed to new replies.