Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 502 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
The Person Fo..
  • Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

He has?

yeah they pretending like Captain Phillips wasnt snubbed big time despite Greengrass being heavily predicted.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

One of the writers/producers has indeed confirmed today that ‘Judas and the Black Messiah’ will release before the eligibility period. A potential January release.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Will Billie Holiday even be released? Paramount seem to be trying to hedge their losses recently and I can’t see them wanting to release a film about an iconic black singer at the same time another studio is releasing a film about another iconic black singer?

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Will Billie Holiday even be released? Paramount seem to be trying to hedge their losses recently and I can’t see them wanting to release a film about an iconic black singer at the same time another studio is releasing a film about another iconic black singer?

I doubt they push it back. It has a Feb 12th release date and I think they’ll stick with that.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I doubt they push it back. It has a Feb 12th release date and I think they’ll stick with that.

Well what reason do they have to keep their release date? I mean I’m looking forward to this film but Paramount have been delaying films and selling them to distributors during this pandemic because they don’t want to see more losses. If they’re selling Coming 2 America to Amazon and delaying A Quiet Place‘s theatrical release then why haven’t they done anything with this?

Then you have the fact that Andra Day is coming up against two actresses playing two iconic black singers. If the film is a campaign priority (which I would be surprised if it wasn’t) then why would they want to risk their priority in the category getting snubbed (which she will be if voters go for Davis or somehow Hudson manages to get some steam because sadly three black actresses are not getting nominated in Actress especially considering older white racist conservative voters will see them as “the same character”.)

I mean the film is cutting the eligibility line as it is already anyway.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Well what reason do they have to keep their release date? I mean I’m looking forward to this film but Paramount have been delaying films and selling them to distributors during this pandemic because they don’t want to see more losses. If they’re selling Coming 2 America to Amazon and delaying A Quiet Place‘s theatrical release then why haven’t they done anything with this? Then you have the fact that Andra Day is coming up against two actresses playing two iconic black singers. If the film is a campaign priority (which I would be surprised if it wasn’t) then why would they want to risk their priority in the category getting snubbed (which she will be if voters go for Davis or somehow Hudson manages to get some steam because sadly three black actresses are not getting nominated in Actress especially considering older white racist conservative voters will see them as “the same character”.) I mean the film is cutting the eligibility line as it is already anyway.

Seems like they have enough confidence in the film if they gave it an actual release date right before the eligibility. Plus they delayed AQP mainly bc it’s supposed to be a box office attraction and needs those numbers to do well. I think they’re keeping Billie in Feb mainly for the awards push at this point.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Will Billie Holiday even be released? Paramount seem to be trying to hedge their losses recently and I can’t see them wanting to release a film about an iconic black singer at the same time another studio is releasing a film about another iconic black singer?

I don’t think Respect will stay. It needs to be a box office success.

If Respect moves, then I think Billie Holiday will stay. It don’t need to be a money maker and worst case Paramount can release it on PVOD.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

I don’t think Respect will stay. It needs to be a box office success. If Respect moves, then I think Billie Holiday will stay. It don’t need to be a money maker and worst case Paramount can release it on PVOD.

I agree, except I think Respect will end up staying as well. They’ve already been doing promotional stuff for it like Hudson was literally featured on the cover of Entertainment weekly’s awards season edition magazine. I don’t see either of them moving imo.

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

yeah they pretending like Captain Phillips wasnt snubbed big time despite Greengrass being heavily predicted.

Please, getting only 6 nominations for a movie does not mean Greengrass is on the levels of Razzie nominated Ron Howard

rubbish

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I agree, except I think Respect will end up staying as well. They’ve already been doing promotional stuff for it like Hudson was literally featured on the cover of Entertainment weekly’s awards season edition magazine. I don’t see either of them moving imo.

That’s been the case for other films that were eventually delayed, like Dune. I think Respect will stay if the last stand for theaters in Christmas is succesful. Otherwise, you can pretty much kiss all future theatrical releases goodbye.

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    Jazzy
    Topics:

These goldderby predictions are just ridiculous. Nomadland and Chloe Zhao at the top as best picture/best director??????? On what planet does that make an iota of sense??????? The movie looks really boring/moody. Good luck finding Academy members who will sit through it without falling asleep. It reminds of me when A Star Is Born was being predicted to win best picture by nearly the entire forum. In the end, Cooper didn’t even get nominated for best director and the movie won the ONLY Oscars it deserved: song and sound.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The second trailer looks better but my god this poster looks horrible.

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

These goldderby predictions are just ridiculous. Nomadland and Chloe Zhao at the top as best picture/best director??????? On what planet does that make an iota of sense??????? The movie looks really boring/moody. Good luck finding Academy members who will sit through it without falling asleep. It reminds of me when A Star Is Born was being predicted to win best picture by nearly the entire forum. In the end, Cooper didn’t even get nominated for best director and the movie won the ONLY Oscars it deserved: song and sound.

Nomadland won both Golden Lion and TIFF People’s Choice Award, the first film ever to do so. I’ve also heard it’s emotionally moving which counts for a lot. It may not look like a typical Best Picture winner but pretty much every other contender doesn’t quite fit the bill either. Mank if anything seems too classically baity, and might not be considered topical or relevant enough for the here and now. Before seeing The Trial of the Chicago 7 I thought that could be it, but somehow it didn’t make quite the gut impact I usually expect from Best Picture winners. Judas and the Black Messiah? Still an unknown quantity, but I won’t rule it out. But nothing else outside of these seems to make sense as a plausible winner, at least from what we know now.

Also, A Star Is Born didn’t win sound.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

The second trailer looks better but my god this poster looks horrible.

People are getting real lazy with posters this year. Mank’s poster puts all the other award-season contenders to shame.

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

People are getting real lazy with posters this year. Mank’s poster puts all the other award-season contenders to shame.

I mean apart from Mank (and maybe Promising Young Woman’s although that one looks like it could have been done on Canva) are there any posters on the level of these from last year yet?

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 502 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director’ is closed to new replies.