Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 502 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
The Person Fo..
  • Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I mean apart from Mank (and maybe Promising Young Woman’s although that one looks like it could have been done on Canva) are there any posters on the level of these from last year yet?

No.

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Posters have become far too reliant on plastering the face of big stars into then instead of interesting visuals of the old day like Jaws and The Exorcist.

Profile picture
    Hayden
    Topics:

People are getting real lazy with posters this year. Mank’s poster puts all the other award-season contenders to shame.

Yeah, I’m not sure what’s up with posters this year… Hillbilly Elegy’s poster barely looks like a poster. It’s kinda embarrassing. The Trial of The Chicago 7, The Father and Nomadland aren’t great looking either. There’s a bit of creativity in Nomadland, but it’s still mid-2000s TV-poster butt ugly.

Poster for The French Dispatch is great though.

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

These goldderby predictions are just ridiculous. Nomadland and Chloe Zhao at the top as best picture/best director??????? On what planet does that make an iota of sense??????? The movie looks really boring/moody. Good luck finding Academy members who will sit through it without falling asleep. It reminds of me when A Star Is Born was being predicted to win best picture by nearly the entire forum. In the end, Cooper didn’t even get nominated for best director and the movie won the ONLY Oscars it deserved: song and sound.

The only thing ridiculous here is you saying “I, someone who has not seen Nomadland, think it looks really boring/moody, so it’s not winning anything.”, unless you’re trying to be funny.

Good luck finding Academy members who will ignore the movie with the best reviews of the year, universal acclaim, and the first winner of both TIFF People’s Choice (which by definition means the people will like like it) and the Golden Lion, when its only competition is Netflix movies.

rubbish

Profile picture
    Nameizmann
    Topics:

Nomadland looks too slow and small scale to win. The Academy has changed, but Moonlight / Parasite / Shape of Water were all plot-driven fast paced movies.

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Moonlight wasn’t all that fast-paced. And I’m not sure I’d call it plot-driven either.

Profile picture
    Nameizmann
    Topics:

Moonlight wasn’t all that fast-paced. And I’m not sure I’d call it plot-driven either.

I agree it’s not as much as others, but it was still no Roma.

But actually nvm, 12 Years a Slave won so Nomadlans might still win.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

No.

OUATIH and Parasite are the only great posters among these.

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

The second trailer looks better but my god this poster looks horrible.

Under normal circumstances, I have a gut feeling this film would get zero nominations. These aren’t normal though, so I expect tech nominations even though this film is the blandest looking of a kind of bland lineup this Oscars year.

God I wish there was more spice and flavour happening in this Best Picture race. Maybe Parasite spoiled me, but while movies like Nomadland and Mank look good, I am not excited or fascinated or intrigued by them.

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

Profile picture
    AlexNZ
    Topics:

I mean apart from Mank (and maybe Promising Young Woman’s although that one looks like it could have been done on Canva) are there any posters on the level of these from last year yet?

I may be alone on this hill but my favourite poster this year is the Nomadland one. I love that is simple and uncluttered – it is clean, unique, interesting and unpretentious while getting the idea across which I like. But then I’m weird, I look at the list you included and I don’t love the OUATIH poster because it is a bit cluttered and generic to me. Even if it is a very well made versions of a generic cluttered poster. I’ve always thought the same thing about the LOTR posters even though people love them (and I do love the movies themselves). The Marriage Story ones I love. Even the Parasite poster, as clever and well designed as it is, has a bit much going on for my liking – though at least it has a single, obvious focal point.

Profile picture
    fyras19
    Topics:

I wonder what everyone thinks about how The father will fare? I think it is definitely getting in for best actor, best supporting actress, best adapted screenplay and best picture, but can it get into best director and best editing? If so it doesn’t seem like a stretch to call it a best picture contender, since except Nomadland and Mank there aren’t any serious contenders so far (I think the response for Chicago 7 doesn’t translate into a BP contender).

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

These goldderby predictions are just ridiculous. Nomadland and Chloe Zhao at the top as best picture/best director??????? On what planet does that make an iota of sense??????? The movie looks really boring/moody. Good luck finding Academy members who will sit through it without falling asleep. It reminds of me when A Star Is Born was being predicted to win best picture by nearly the entire forum. In the end, Cooper didn’t even get nominated for best director and the movie won the ONLY Oscars it deserved: song and sound.

I’ve seen Nomadland twice and I can confidently say that you’re full of shit. It can absolutely win.

FYC:

Picture: Nomadland
    Director: Chloe Zhao
    Leading Actress: Frances McDormand
    Leading Actor: Anthony Hopkins
    Supporting Actress: Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Adapted Screenplay: The Father
    Original Screenplay: Minari

Profile picture
    Mickmack
    Topics:

Nomadland and Zhao are not winning. Did Jojo and Joker win BP after winning Tiff and Venice respectively? The movie is too small and slow to win either. Mank is sweeping, get over it!

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

When Mank crashes at the Oscars the same way La La Land and 1917 did after their stans swore they were unbeatable because they looked like the perfect baits on paper

Lol @ the Jojo and Joker comparisons

Jojo Rabbit : 58/100
    Joker : 58/100
    Nomadland : 97/100

And neither of them won both TIFF and Venice. Writing off Nomadland because it’s not your typical big Hollywood production is plain stupid. There is no “X is sweeping no matter what” in the BP race. What just happened to that movie that swept Picture and Director at all the precursors + PGA/DGA while smashing the box-office ? It went home with none of the big 5

So even if Mank pulls the same run (which is likely), nothing is sealed until that envelope is open

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supp Actor - Daniel Kaluuya, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

Nomadland and Zhao are not winning. Did Jojo and Joker win BP after winning Tiff and Venice respectively? The movie is too small and slow to win either. Mank is sweeping, get over it!

For some reason you are choosing to compare Nomadland to Jojo and Joker, but not to The Shape of Water, Green Book, 12 Years A Slave, or The King’s Speech. Parasite also did win at Cannes FYI, so it had a major festival win behind it.

And not even to address the lunacy behind “Nomadland isnt winning because these 2 other films didnt win, Mank is winning despite Netflix being snubbed for the BP win 3 years in a row.”

rubbish

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 502 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director’ is closed to new replies.