Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 7 posts - 496 through 502 (of 502 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
The Person Fo..
  • Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

I think with the COVID situation, the Netflix situation that seemed to be easing in the Academy heated up again with the cinema shutdowns and the studio delays. I can see a Spielberg type doing the equivalent to what happened with Roma and saying some shit like “supporting Netflix is like supporting the death of cinema”, and with the circumstances being more dire voters might buy it even more.

God, it’ll probably be an angry Christopher Nolan won’t it?

For Your Consideration:

Best Picture: Wolfwalkers

Best Animated Feature: Wolfwalkers

Profile picture
    sdevdutt41
    Topics:

I actually think they will spread picture and director. I see Fincher getting director and Nomadland getting picture as the more probable of that option.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I think with the COVID situation, the Netflix situation that seemed to be easing in the Academy heated up again with the cinema shutdowns and the studio delays. I can see a Spielberg type doing the equivalent to what happened with Roma and saying some shit like “supporting Netflix is like supporting the death of cinema”, and with the circumstances being more dire voters might buy it even more. God, it’ll probably be an angry Christopher Nolan won’t it?

Exactly. This is the year to support theaters more than ever, and this is why Netflix is not winning.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I actually think they will spread picture and director. I see Fincher getting director and Nomadland getting picture as the more probable of that option.

And ignore the narrative of the first woman of color (and second overall) to win Director?

If Nomadland wins Picture, I think Zhao will win Director as well. You should also remember that the Academy was never a big fan of Fincher.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I think with the COVID situation, the Netflix situation that seemed to be easing in the Academy heated up again with the cinema shutdowns and the studio delays. I can see a Spielberg type doing the equivalent to what happened with Roma and saying some shit like “supporting Netflix is like supporting the death of cinema”, and with the circumstances being more dire voters might buy it even more. God, it’ll probably be an angry Christopher Nolan won’t it?

That’s what I’ve been saying for a while now. Nomadland is right there as a theatrical alternative (and it will release in theaters, regardless of what happens, because the film was made on a microbudget and needs like $100 to break even), and the powerful anti-Netflix contingent in the Academy will throw all their support behind it.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Zhao wins Director. There may be a BP/BD split with Chicago 7 cause AMPAS will award something they perceive to be timely politically in Picture. But Director goes to Zhao. They will be very cautious not to award a white male director and she has legit reviews, wouldn’t be a pander win. Also, many think she should have been at least nominated for her previous movie. So no fluke that one.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Zhao wins Director. There may be a BP/BD split with Chicago 7 cause AMPAS will award something they perceive to be timely politically in Picture. But Director goes to Zhao. They will be very cautious not to award a white male director and she has legit reviews, wouldn’t be a pander win. Also, many think she should have been at least nominated for her previous movie. So no fluke that one.

I still feel like the opposite (Fincher wins Director and Zhao wins Picture) is far more likely, especially after seeing the Mank reviews.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

Viewing 7 posts - 496 through 502 (of 502 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Picture and Director’ is closed to new replies.