Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 2)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 496 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
JackO
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I only have him in at BAFTA (because I think he can randomly show up there like Alfred Molina and Rene Russo amongst others) but I’m seriously considering the possibility that Bo Burnham surprises if Promising Young Woman over-performs and Mulligan is the frontrunner. He seems to be getting a lot of audience and critics buzz which as someone who is a fan of the film I am surprised by (he was excellent but I wouldn’t nominate him).

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design
    "CODA" – in all categories

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Mark Rylance.

For me, Rylance is easily going to be ahead of all of his costars. I know Baron Cohen’s had a big year, but if only one makes it, my money is on Sir Mark.

Previously I was rooting for most for Langella, but thinking back, I’m team Rylance for the Chicago men, and as of now, team Raci for the win, though I know that’ll never happen.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

The funny thing about all these critic awards is that they’re pointless because as soon as Kaluuya shows up he’s sweeping.

WRONG!!

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Sacha Baron Cohen’s accent was a travesty and there is consensus in this forum that Mark Rylance was best in show, but enough precursors have chimed in now that there is not much reason to doubt Baron Cohen as the supporting nominee (until upcoming precursors dissent). There has been a little dissent so far, but we are not at Spotlight, Call Me by Your Name or The Departed levels of mess. This is more akin to The Shape of Water and Hell or High Water where the odd group prefers a different supporting actor, but consensus has been established. I do not agree with it and you do not agree with it, but I generally resent pundits who ignore the derby and stubbornly stick to the predictions that they made before they had any intel. At the end of the day, Spotlight still got the consensus supporting actor nominated; The Departed indeed experienced a twist ending in the race, but that was fourteen years ago! Do we really think that The Trial of the Chicago 7 is that special?

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

The industry loves Sacha. They’ll want to recognize him with a nomination.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

If Bo happens then PYW has to be strong enough to take picture right

Safest / Most Plausible nominations

• Actress
    • Original Screenplay

We liked the film

• Original Song

We giving it Best Picture

• Director
    • Sup. Actor
    • Editing

Oscars FYC:

"Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Sup. Actor (Richard E. Grant), Sup. Actress (Sarah Lancashire) and Original Song (“This Was Me”)

"King Richard" – Original Song (“Be Alive”)

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I thought Sacha Baron Cohen was awful in Chicago 7 and outacted by almost everyone he was in a scene with but he has the most buzz. Colleagues of mine and people I network with in the industry here were raving about his performance. A video of him attacking Facebook went viral. He also has Borat to support him.

I think he’s in a good position for a nomination. However I think he will miss a Globe nomination but then win for Borat.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

The industry loves Sacha. They’ll want to recognize him with a nomination.

Yes, and I’m predicting him for a nomination, but I do believe the industry will respond more to Rylance, as they love him as well, and he’s the more typical, respectable nominee.

I have him and Sacha getting in everywhere except the latter at the Globes, cause they usually don’t go for double nominees and the path is much clearer for him to get in for Borat.

Profile picture
    JakeT
    Topics:

Paul Raci has easily the best performance of potentials I’ve seen so far

Profile picture
    Miguel Marrero
    Topics:

The funny thing about all these critic awards is that they’re pointless because as soon as Kaluuya shows up he’s sweeping.

Really? Because so far Sacha, Raci and Leslie have been scooping up all the awards. Go look on the critics awards thread.

I still think Raci should win.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    DaKardii
    Topics:

END OF WEEK 17 PREDICTIONS

1) Leslie Odom, Jr. (One Night in Miami)
    2) Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)
    3) Sacha Baron Cohen (The Trial of the Chciago 7)
    4) Daniel Kaluuya (Judas and the Black Messiah)
    5) Mark Rylance (The Trial of the Chicago 7)

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

Baron Cohen just was comedic relief in Chicago 7 and then what, he has a single “serious” scene? That doesn’t deserve a nomination. Rylance was much better… but I wouldn’t nominate him either.

On the other hand I’m confused and sad to see here people predicting a Murray snub :c he’s the only one besides Raci appearing everywhere on critics awards

Profile picture
    Topics:
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 496 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.