Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 2)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 504 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 days ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
JackO
  • Profile picture
    NevadaR
    Topics:

Yelling on camera does not mean Oscar worthy. I wish Raci could win with this quiet performance just to see some of the reactions  BuT hE dIdn’T dO aNyThInG.

Profile picture
    deaetee
    Topics:

Exactly. Just because Raci did not have a big, explosive Oscar scene does not mean his performance was not impressive. Call me pretentious, but I was so moved by his performance, particularly the final interaction he had with Riz Ahmed’s character, that I actually teared up. I hope he does get nominated, or better yet, WIN this category.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

In all honesty, Raci’s final, heartfelt moment is probably my favorite scene of the entire season so far.

I still have more competition to see, but to me he’s absolutely worthy of a straight up win, even though they’d never give it to him.

Profile picture
    Manuelcolon
    Topics:

The last thing i had in mind after watching Sound Of Metal was that Paul Raci was giving an outstanding performance.

I get the whole subtleness topic, i did find him to be sweet, but not necessarily an “acting masterclass performance” as someone said.

Like, he’s good, but to me personally just that, good. Supporting Actor and Actress have become the two most boring categories the past few years with very just fine performance winning in my opinion, some even being boring or lacking in development.

I can appreciate subtleness, but Raci’s performance didn’t strike me as being the best of the best.

Profile picture
    Lexa
    Topics:

Rylance is my favorite winner in Supporting for this past decade so Raci taking it would make me so happy.

Profile picture
    ArtIsntEasy
    Topics:

I definitely wanted to add my thoughts on Paul Raci considering that some were finding that his performance was essentially nothing.

As I first viewed SOUND OF METAL, at first I was a little iffy on him because a few people on here began to praise him within a couple of days of the films release and I just found myself not really understanding it.

Then a day or so passed and not only did I find myself thinking more about the film in general (though I loved Ahmed’s work instantaneously), I found myself thinking about Raci.

There is something about his presence in this role that truly stayed with me. It just feels so lived in and honest and of course a lot of that does with the deep connections he has to the character.

It can be very hard for subtle performances to really grab your attention but the more I think about him, the more I can’t help but marvel at the quiet intensity and warmth he conveyed in this…and yes, his final scene is probably his best.

“The art of making art is putting it together...”

Profile picture
    Miguel Marrero
    Topics:

Raci was masterclass. Not every actor has to ham it up you guys.

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

Is Kaluuya going to be billed first for Judas?

Profile picture
    restlessmao
    Topics:

Just watched One Night in Miami. Leslie Odom Jr. was the most eye-catching actor in the movie. I can understand why people think he has a good chance of winning.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Just watched One Night in Miami. Leslie Odom Jr. was the most eye-catching actor in the movie. I can understand why people think he has a good chance of winning.

As I was saying….

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Leslie Odom Jr. is terrific as Sam Cooke but he has no chance of winning if Daniel Kaluuya gives the performance we think or hope he will. I’m not even totally confident he’s the runner-up.

Edit: also the category designations for the Miami quartet are bogus and purely strategic. They all carry more or less equal narrative weight (although Malcolm X seems to have the most dialogue) and either they’re all lead or all supporting; I would say the former. The HFPA were right to refuse Amazon’s suggestion here.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Edit: also the category designations for the Miami quartet are bogus and purely strategic. They all carry more or less equal narrative weight (although Malcolm X seems to have the most dialogue) and either they’re all lead or all supporting; I would say the former. The HFPA were right to refuse Amazon’s suggestion here.

Amazon only did this to give Odom Jr. the best chance at a win. But as you said it doesn’t matter because Kaluuya will sweep everything as soon as people see his film. Can’t wait for Sundance.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

Profile picture
    Problemchild
    Topics:

My personal favorite (until I see Judas 🤞🏾) is Glynn Turman. His monologue about the “leftovers” is probably my favorite film moment this past year.

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

My personal favorite (until I see Judas 🤞🏾) is Glynn Turman. His monologue about the “leftovers” is probably my favorite film moment this past year.

In the play the ‘leftovers’ monologue happens during act 1, mid-conversation with the other band members, and before Levee’s first big monologue which concludes the act. The screen adaptation transports it to the mid-section of the movie, as a kind of bridge between acts, and also distills it to suit the calm of the moment. It’s a very effective choice, as that monologue subtly sheds particular light on the power dynamics between Ma Rainey and record producer Sturdyvant that are to come in the second act.

Profile picture
    Mr. Tintin
    Topics:

1. Kaluuya

2. Cohen

3. Odom Jr.

4. Boseman

5. Raci

Movie-lover overall.

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.