Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 2)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 504 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
3 days ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
JackO
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

can get into a critics award and find some traction?

I’d say he has a good shot at winning the Young Performer Award at Critics Choice but other than that I don’t know.

Besides that, Wolfali mentioned that someone here had mentioned Richard E Grant as a potential sneaker and I think I’m going to actually change my predictions for that because it just feels correct. Everybody’s Talking About Jamie has the potential to be a real crowdpleaser and with such an empty category (This thread has been untouched for days lmao) he’d be an exciting jolt. The more I think on it the more I think he could be win competitive.

What I also like about a Grant prediction is that he’s also a previous nominee in this category and could get in on name alone. We saw how Sam Rockwell could sneak in for doing nothing in the supporting actor category he had just won so I don’t see how Grant doesn’t have an advantage in a weaker year of being a previous nominee.

His role is one that could earn him the MVP title of the film. It’s also a British film based on a hit musical here so I can see it getting lots of votes at BAFTA and British bloc support at the Oscar considering what’s going on with theatre at the moment.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

All of Warner Bros 2021 slate will be going to HBO Max

Oscar winner Daniel Kaluuya here we come

Kaluuya1

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/warner-bros-hbo-max-theaters-dune-matrix-4

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

I mean we knew for a while it’s coming this awards season lol.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Academy Award winner Daniel Kaluuya

Profile picture
    nevkm
    Topics:

Is there any confirmation on the placements?

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Is there any confirmation on the placements?

No.

Profile picture
    Leo's burner
    Topics:

bring out the brooms!!!

Profile picture
    jez89
    Topics:

I actually just mentioned this in the Best Actress thread and decided to take that conversation here. I have to be really honest and say I don’t have as much knowledge outside of the oscars and the globes, but is there any chance that he can get into a critics award and find some traction? It would just be a complete shame for one of the years best performances to go completely unnoticed. Besides that, Wolfali mentioned that someone here had mentioned Richard E Grant as a potential sneaker and I think I’m going to actually change my predictions for that because it just feels correct. Everybody’s Talking About Jamie has the potential to be a real crowdpleaser and with such an empty category (This thread has been untouched for days lmao) he’d be an exciting jolt. The more I think on it the more I think he could be win competitive. Tucci I believe can transcend his awful distributor because of the fact that this category has nothing going for it. Chicago 7 is losing steam increasingly and I honestly have no idea how people here believe that more than one performance from that movie is deserving or memorable enough to make it in so hard. In 5 months I see Chicago 7 as a long forgotten, mediocre memory. Tucci however is going to have a powerful role that will be fresher in voters minds and it seems that amongst this years contenders there’s a strong LGBT presence as well as Black stories presence. (Obviously only the first one helps Tucci) Sorry for the triple dump, I haven’t made any comments on supporting actor until now!

Richard E Grant should have won in 2018, I’d fully support him getting one this year

Profile picture
    BetteDavis
    Topics:

I thought the acting was atrocious in The Chicago 7 so I’m hoping some more interesting choices pop up in this category.  So far, this category is such a wildcard, I can’t even begin to predict it.

A Kaluuya win would be something to celebrate though. Spectacular actor.  Honestly, I could really go for a Kaluuya/Tucci/LaBeouf/Grant/Murray lineup simply because I like these actors and I like to root for them lol.

My profile on Letterboxd https://letterboxd.com/Icecreamb

Profile picture
    LLLhawks
    Topics:

Just saw Mank. I can listen to Charles Dance sharing the parable of the organ grinder’s monkey all day. Wish there is an Oscar for best narration. Lol. Such villainous voice.

Anyway, not gonna be mad if he or the actor playing Mayer gets nominated.

I just love movies. And awards.

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Charles Dance or Arliss Howard will receive the Supporting nomination. Tom Burke was barely in Mank.

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Just saw Mank. I can listen to Charles Dance sharing the parable of the organ grinder’s monkey all day. Wish there is an Oscar for best narration. Lol. Such villainous voice. Anyway, not gonna be mad if he or the actor playing Mayer gets nominated.

Totally agreed. I’d be fine with Dance being nominated. Although Burke isn’t in it much I’d be fine with him getting in too, he was uncanny was Welles.

FYC:

Andrea Riseborough, Karim Saleh, Possessor/Luxor (Actress, Actor)
    Rosamund Pike, Peter Dinklage, I Care a Lot (Actress, Supporting Actor)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren, The Duke (Actor, Supporting Actress)
    Sophia Loren, Abril Zamora, The Life Ahead (Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman (Actress)

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

I honestly would not be opposed to any of the Mank supporting actors getting a nom here? Personally baffled as to why Seyfried got raves but the guys were barely mentioned, because I thought she was no better than Dance, Howard, Burke and McShane.

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    BetteDavis
    Topics:

I didn’t see any award worthy acting work in Mank.  Didn’t care for Burke or Dance.  Arliss Howard was good as Mayer.

My profile on Letterboxd https://letterboxd.com/Icecreamb

Profile picture
    Mickmack
    Topics:

I didn’t see any award worthy acting work in Mank. Didn’t care for Burke or Dance. Arliss Howard was good as Mayer.

What films and performances do you like from this year?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.