Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 3)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 505 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
6 days ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
SN
  • Profile picture
    LLLhawks
    Topics:

It’s not even an accent issue for me. I just wasn’t that impressed with SBC in Trial. His line, “I’ve never been in trial for my thoughts before,” is the most memorable line in that film for me. But i thought rylance, langella, abdul-mateen and even redmayne did a better job than him.

Is it because he’s a comedic performer giving a dramatic performance? I really wish the Oscars would just embrace truly funny comedic performances.

Anyway, just wanted to say that to bump this thread up.

I just love movies. And awards.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

My personal preferences in this race thus far:

1. Ben Mendelsohn, Babyteeth
    2. Aldis Hodge, One Night in Miami
    3. Glynn Turman, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    4. Leslie Odom-Jr., One Night in Miami
    5. Bill Murray, On the Rocks

6. Mark Rylance, The Trial of the Chicago 7 (might be biased on having Rylance so high despite the fact I did not like The Trial of the Chicago 7 lol
    7. D’angelou Osei Kissiedu, Rocks
    8. Colman Domingo, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    9. Tom Pelphrey, Mank
    10. Charles Dance, Mank

Have not seen Another Round, Minari or Sound of Metal…

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

5. Eli Goree, One Night in Miami

I don’t know if you’re aware but Goree is competing in lead.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

I find it odd that Rylance is above Abdul-Mateen. Abdul-Mateen is the one who is campaigning.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

I find it odd that Rylance is above Abdul-Mateen. Abdul-Mateen is the one who is campaigning.

Yeah but Rylance has a way bigger role, he’s quite respected in the industry, he recently won this category, and while Yahya had earlier hype, Mark seems to be the bigger favorite by now.

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

Abdul-Mateen II has much showier role (and we know that matters since Baron Cohen is at the moment the runner-up frontrunner for Supporting Actor), a much more relevant role and also he just won an Emmy for a show with tons of buzz (which lowkey helped Laura Dern last year).

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Abdul-Mateen II has much showier role (and we know that matters since Baron Cohen is at the moment the runner-up frontrunner for Supporting Actor), a much more relevant role and also he just won an Emmy for a show with tons of buzz (which lowkey helped Laura Dern last year).

Abdul-Mateen’s Emmy win won’t get him in at the Oscars. Dern had way more projects than just Big Little Lies that got her there, and she’s a beloved veteran and Hollywood royalty.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I’m sorry but no. Abdul is not even in the movie that much. He was incredible but Rylance had a huge presence throughout and also had a fair share of baity moments.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I still think that SBC will be the sole nominee from TTotC7.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

also he just won an Emmy for a show with tons of buzz (which lowkey helped Laura Dern last year).

Is that why Claire Foy got nominated for First Man then?

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    gabspss
    Topics:

Is that why Claire Foy got nominated for First Man then?

I did put a “lowkey”. I’m not saying she won because of Big Little Lies, but it’s a helper for sure, even if just a little.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Elsie Fisher’s own lineup. Likely doesn’t mean anything in the long run but a good gage for where this category might lead.

Elsies

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I still think that SBC will be the sole nominee from TTotC7.

At this point it seems almost guaranteed this will be the case. Anyone predicting a second Chicago 7 actor is making a mistake.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

I don’t know if you’re aware but Goree is competing in lead.

Oh, no, I did not know this actually. I can see that, but to me it does feel as though Ben-Adir is the sole Lead in the film.

FYC: Michaela Coel and Rosamund Pike

Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

I think SBC’s appeal in Shitcago 7 is that he is very relaxed and at ease. He is almost removed from the other actors in terms of the style of the film, which renders him as a kind of uhh emotional guide for the viewer while watching. His accent is Bad, and I detest how they present Abbie Hoffman, but I think SBC was fine here. He had a lot of surprisingly tender moments, which fit in perfectly to Sorkin’s scheme story.

FYC: Michaela Coel and Rosamund Pike

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.