Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 3)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 505 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 days ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
SN
  • Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

About SBC: While watching Trial I kept waiting for the reason why he is a front-runner here and never got it lol

Very odd to me.

Profile picture
    Calvin
    Topics:

About SBC: While watching Trial I kept waiting for the reason why he is a front-runner here and never got it lol Very odd to me.

I feel like him taking the stand was meant to be his Oscar scene, and O actually think he’s good in that scene. The problem is that the film uses Abbie Hoffman as a mouthpiece for some of Sorkin’s worst tendencies – ‘in this country we have a revolution every four years’, the government being a wonderful institution with a few bad eggs. It really undermines the overall impact of it.

Frankly I could buy a Rylance nomination far more.

FYC:

Picture - Minari, Nomadland, Another Round, Promising Young Woman
    Director - Chloe Zhao (Nomadland), Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Thomas Vinterberg (Another Round), Emerald Fennell (Promising Young Woman)
    Actor - Steven Yeun (Minari), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)
    Actress - Carey Mulligan (Promising Young Woman), Frances McDormand (Nomadland)
    S. Actor - Daniel Kaluuya (Judas and the Black Messiah), Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)
    S. Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    maxinho
    Topics:

The academy will go with Rylance and maybe nominate him alongside SBC, in order for them to split votes.

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Alright, we had our fun and it sucks that I have to give up my odds, but it is time for all of us to drop Daniel Kaluuya from our SAG predictions entirely.  There is just no way for them to have seen it.  PGA, DGA and WGA have digital screeners for Judas and the Black Messiah (and them being digital only is another thing, but I digress), but not SAG.  Voting opened two weeks ago and closes in a week.  There are not public screenings or even leaked screeners online illegally.  The only chance that SAG has of seeing it is at Sundance, which is the day that voting closes, not to mention that they would have to pay.  It should go without saying, but since we live in a world with Critics’ Choice and the Satellite Awards, it actually needs to be said that SAG voters are not going to vote for something that they have not seen.  It does not matter if it is Meryl Streep (The Post), Daniel Day-Lewis (Phantom Thread) or Christopher Plummer (All the Money in the World); they are not going to do it and they are not going to do it for Daniel Kaluuya.  Sacha Baron Cohen will take SAG and we are just going to have to hope it is a blip like Tommy Lee Jones (Lincoln) and that Kaluuya can rally like Christoph Waltz (Django Unchained).

Profile picture
    Victor
    Topics:

About SBC: While watching Trial I kept waiting for the reason why he is a front-runner here and never got it lol

Very odd to me.

If he wins it’s a career award
    There’s nothing about him in Chicago 7 that makes him special.

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

Sacha Baron Cohen will take SAG and we are just going to have to hope it is a blip like Tommy Lee Jones (Lincoln) and that Kaluuya can rally like Christoph Waltz (Django Unchained).

I agree with your whole point, but I do think this seems like a likely scenario. There’s nothing I’ve seen anyone really point out in Cohen’s performance that makes him a locked-in winner, and the buzz suggests to me that Kaluuya’s is a performance people will rally around en masse once the buzz and screeners are out there. It’s probably better for his Oscar chances to miss SAG because of a screener issue than to get in there and be beaten by Cohen. If anything voters may see it afterwards and think he’s was robbed of the SAG, especially if he builds buzz with Sundance and goes on a late break at BAFTA. I also suspect a lot of people will think Judas tells a more truthful and stirring story of a revolutionary figure in this period, and might be swayed to Kaluuya’s depiction by that. A Cohen win would just perplex me a bit, tbh, even as a career/ Borat 2 award, so maybe I’m just projecting deluded hopes onto Kaluuya, but I wouldn’t worry for his chances if he misses SAG outright because of screeners.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

As I’ve said before both supporting categories are going to be messy this year. I think we could be in a situation where Olivia Colman and Daniel Kaluuya win at the Globes but miss at SAG where Maria Bakalova (who I am predicting to go on an Emily Blunt/J-Lo trajectory) and Sacha Baron Cohen win the supporting categories instead.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Kaluuya could be another Christopher Waltz in case SAG voters haven’t seen his film. But even if Kaluuya loses, I think Odom Jr could be the winner. ONIM is gaining steam and I think it’ll be loved by SAG.

Keep calm guys, SBC atrocious performance in that garbage film is still probably not winning.

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

As I’ve said before both supporting categories are going to be messy this year. I think we could be in a situation where Olivia Colman and Daniel Kaluuya win at the Globes but miss at SAG where Maria Bakalova (who I am predicting to go on an Emily Blunt/J-Lo trajectory) and Sacha Baron Cohen win the supporting categories instead.

Yeah, to be honest the only acting category I see being straightforward is Actor. Your predictions sound about right to me. I worry for Kaluuya a little at the Globes because I think they’ll go big with Chicago 7, and Cohen could win BAFTA too if he puts a run together, given that he’s also British, but again I just can’t really see that performance/ role going the whole way. It’d annoy me too because it’s such a poor dilution of Hoffman’s character in the writing, whilst Kaluuya/ Judas looks/ sounds to have really nailed Hampton. I know it’s only based on trailers and bits of buzz, but I do think Kaluuya might just storm into #1 once Judas drops anyway.

Profile picture
    dgma793181
    Topics:

PGA, DGA and WGA have digital screeners for Judas and the Black Messiah (and them being digital only is another thing, but I digress), but not SAG.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKO-tiTDFcv/

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Well then, I guess that I will add him back.  Thanks, they are even physical!  My poor odds.  Sorry, I was using Richie Solomon. I need to decide now how damning it is that On the Rocks‘ SAG screeners are (allegedly per the link) only digital.

Profile picture
    TVLUVAH
    Topics:

Alright, we had our fun and it sucks that I have to give up my odds, but it is time for all of us to drop Daniel Kaluuya from our SAG predictions entirely. There is just no way for them to have seen it. PGA, DGA and WGA have digital screeners for Judas and the Black Messiah (and them being digital only is another thing, but I digress), but not SAG. Voting opened two weeks ago and closes in a week. There are not public screenings or even leaked screeners online illegally. The only chance that SAG has of seeing it is at Sundance, which is the day that voting closes, not to mention that they would have to pay. It should go without saying, but since we live in a world with Critics’ Choice and the Satellite Awards, it actually needs to be said that SAG voters are not going to vote for something that they have not seen. It does not matter if it is Meryl Streep (The Post), Daniel Day-Lewis (Phantom Thread) or Christopher Plummer (All the Money in the World); they are not going to do it and they are not going to do it for Daniel Kaluuya. Sacha Baron Cohen will take SAG and we are just going to have to hope it is a blip like Tommy Lee Jones (Lincoln) and that Kaluuya can rally like Christoph Waltz (Django Unchained).

SAG is doing tons of screenings for this. I have received 4 different invites for it, and I’m not even on the nominating committee… Plus SAG Foundation is doing screenings for it too. He’s in at SAG (and everywhere) and he will win if you ask me.

Profile picture
    DaKardii
    Topics:

END OF WEEK 20 PREDICTIONS

Leslie Odom, Jr. (One Night in Miami)
    Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)
    Sacha Baron Cohen (The Trial of the Chicago 7)
    Daniel Kaluuya (Judas and the Black Messiah)
    Yahya Abdul-Mateen II (The Trial of the Chicago 7)

Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

This one is tricky for me cuz I see a lot of contenders and 3 locks and t could literally be any of them in the end :
    1)Paul Raci
    2)Leslie Odom Jr.
    3)Sacha Baron Cohen
    The Contenders:
    4)Chadwick Boseman
    5)Daniel Kaluyya
    6)Stanley Tucci
    7)Mark Rylance
    8)Bill Murray

Profile picture
    Dorsey
    Topics:

I don’t think Paul Raci is a lock, because of lack of name recognition + a smaller movie. And I’ve been pulling for him all season. But those things could lead to him getting snubbed. I have him in, but even with the critics support, it’s a battle.

Kaluuya
    Baron-Cohen
    Raci
    Odom Jr
    Boseman

FYC: Riz Ahmed + Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)
    Sidney Flanigan (Never Rarely Sometimes Always)
    Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.