Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 3)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 505 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
6 days ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
John Berchmans
SN
  • Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

No one? I ranked her third when I made my first nomination predictions of the season and I still had her in that same position right before nominations were announced. She was in the top eight for Jojo Rabbit all season though, so it was not just me. I do not have Chadwick Boseman, but I also do not have him for the Golden Globes, which is where Scarlett Johansson missed, so that is a decent litmus test (AACTA too).

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

I have Glynn in SAG now and I hope he can also happen at GG next week even if I’m not predicting him.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

Good for you for being early I guess. As I remember it most people did not have her in their Top 5s until after she hit SAG. I think I slotted her in before that but I don’t totally remember

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Yeah, she did not crack the aggregate top five until the week before nominations were announced.

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

The larger point is that without two undeniable performances, it’s hard to say whether someone can pull off double nominations since it is so rare. If precursors show their willingness to do so, I will predict it at the Oscars. Right now, I think Boseman hits CC, GG, and SAG in supporting and makes it to the Oscars. However, I can also see a world where he only hits CC or only hits SAG.

Profile picture
    Justmimusicmon
    Topics:

With the type of buzz Chadwick has had this year, I think the HFPA will jump on the double nominations bandwagon as well.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

No one? I ranked her third when I made my first nomination predictions of the season and I still had her in that same position right before nominations were announced. She was in the top eight for Jojo Rabbit all season though, so it was not just me. I do not have Chadwick Boseman, but I also do not have him for the Golden Globes, which is where Scarlett Johansson missed, so that is a decent litmus test (AACTA too).

Agreed ScarJo was a contender from when the movie started screening.I think Boseman has strong chance since Da 5 Bloods is coming on so strong. Maybe he misses for someone else, but as I said before, folks are underestimating the sentimentality towards him. I can easily see him him slotting in over a fringe contender like glynn.

Profile picture
    marcelo
    Topics:

I saw Minari and Will Patton is amazing.

Profile picture
    lhdang2000
    Topics:

So I’ve just watched Supernova today and Stanley Tucci crushed it. Is he missing the critics awards because of the lack of visibility or he’s just DOA? If it’s the latter then it’s a shame because he was really good.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

he’s just DOA?

DOA. Not only is his buzz minimal and presence with critics and industry groups minimal (he missed BIFA) but he has a notoriously lazy studio when it comes to campaigning and his film doesn’t look like it’s their “big awards priority” anyway.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

I finally got around to seeing On the Rocks and I really hope Bill Murray is nominated. If nominated, it won’t just be a namecheck.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Fun fact: 8/11 Best Picture winners under the new prefential ballot era were nominated for Supporting Actor. The exceptions were The Hurt Locker, The Artist and Parasite. A good reason to predict David Strathairn.

Profile picture
    Ryusei
    Topics:

Fun fact: 8/11 Best Picture winners under the new prefential ballot era were nominated for Supporting Actor. The exceptions were The Hurt Locker, The Artist and Parasite. A good reason to predict David Strathairn.

make it 8/12 then cause Strathairn’s role is the definition of a nothing-role. He’s there to be there cause there had to be someone.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

make it 8/12 then cause Strathairn’s role is the definition of a nothing-role. He’s there to be there cause there had to be someone.

Nothing roles are nominated every year. Don’t let your personal opinions affect your predictions.

Profile picture
    Dan Jo
    Topics:

I agree. Strathairn did nothing in Nomadland. He was just there. If there is one to be nominated for supporting in Nomadland that would be Swankie.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.