Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 4)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 506 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
String Cheese..
Oscirus_Jones
  • Profile picture
    The Girls' Room
    Topics:

Malcolm may initiate the conversations, sure, but it takes two to have a dialogue.

I can understand the argument about Kaluuya being in the lead category, but the story follows an FBI agent infiltrating the BPP to get close to Hampton. The protagonist–who is certainly an antihero–is undoubtedly Stanfield.

watch I May Destroy You

Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

Malcolm may initiate the conversations, sure, but it takes two to have a dialogue.

I can understand the argument about Kaluuya being in the lead category, but the story follows an FBI agent infiltrating the BPP to get close to Hampton. The protagonist–who is certainly an antihero–is undoubtedly Stanfield.

That’s your view. Kaluuya’s character is the main focus of the movie. They are co leads.

And yes I agree that it takes 2 to have a dialogue. My view is that Malcolm is the main protagonist in the film. Hell, they even end with a quote from him.

#12 for 2021 SAG Film Award Winners.

Profile picture
    The Girls' Room
    Topics:

That’s your view. Kaluuya’s character is the main focus of the movie.

Shaka King disagrees.

watch I May Destroy You

Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

Shaka King disagrees.

Do you really think the director is gonna speak out against a category placement when it would hurt his film from winning an Oscar? Lol

#12 for 2021 SAG Film Award Winners.

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Kaluuya isn’t category fraud. He had a limited screentime. He 100% deserves to win.

Andra Day should be winning Best Actress

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Please no Chadwick Boseman in this category. He deserves a lead nomination for Ma Rainey’s but no supporting for Da 5 Bloods. I’ll rather have Colman Domingo  taking his slot

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

But the gag is Chadwick could win both Lead & Supporting at SAG 👀

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Kaluuya isn’t category fraud. He had a limited screentime.

There are arguments to make, but this is not one of them.

Profile picture
    linecelts
    Topics:

But the gag is Chadwick could win both Lead & Supporting at SAG 👀

Lead but NOT Supporting

Profile picture
    NevadaR
    Topics:

Kaluuya isn’t category fraud. He had a limited screentime. He 100% deserves to win.

He and Stanfield have almost the same screentime though.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

To me Kaluuya is the Olivia Colman of Judas and the Black Messiah and Stanfield is the Emma Stone of Judas and the Black Messiah.

I personally consider both to be leads as I did with Colman and Stone. Even though the story starts from Stanfield’s character’s narrative (a bit like how <i>The Favourite </i>started off from Stone’s), not only does Kaluuya have enough screen time but he also has enough independent screen time. He is not supporting Stanfield in this film. Whilst this film is told largely from Stanfield’s character’s perspective, it does always go back to revolving around Fred Hampton. Just like how The Favourite always go back to revolving around Queen Anne.

So whilst I don’t think Stanfield is supporting (the fact he was briefly in supporting would have been such an egregious category fraud), Kaluuya isn’t supporting either. It’s not the most egregious category fraud (or certainly not as bad as Brad Pitt last year) but to me it’s still a fraud. Both Kaluuya and Stanfield are co-leads.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Fraud or no Fraud: I want Kaluuya to win. End of discussion

Profile picture
    Aimerarrow
    Topics:

1. Sacha Baron Cohen

2. Daniel Kaluuya

3. Leslie Odom Jr

Top three are locks for me.

4. Chadwick Boseman

I feel somewhat confident for #4.

5. Jared Leto/Bill Murray/Paul Raci (I honestly have no idea)

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

After having seen Sound of Metal yesterday I think Raci will get the 5th slot. It feels like a typical coattail.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

After having seen Sound of Metal yesterday I think Raci will get the 5th slot. It feels like a typical coattail.

He could be nominated, but he wouldn’t be a typical coattail. He’s unknown and not a previous nominee.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 506 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.