Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 499 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Dan Backslide
wolfali
David
  • Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

I wonder if Warner Bros. will push Kaluuya to supporting now…

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: Anthony Hopkins- The Father
    FYC: Chadwick Boseman - Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Male/Straight/BLM

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Updated Supporting Actor Predictions:

1. Daniel Kaluuya- ‘Judas and the Black Messiah’
    2. Mark Rylance- ‘The Trial of the Chicago 7’
    3. Charles Dance- ‘Mank’
    4. Frank Langella- ‘The Trial of the Chicago 7’
    5. Bill Murray- ‘On The Rocks’

6. Leslie Odom Jr.- ‘One Night in Miami’
    7. Sacha Baron Cohen- ‘The Trial of the Chicago 7’
    8. Stanley Tucci- ‘Supernova’
    9. Yahya Abdul-Manteen- ‘The Trial of the Chicago 7’
    10. Chadwick Boseman- ‘Da 5 Bloods’

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Just realized that Leslie Odom Jr. could be completing his EGOT very soon. He’s in contention for two categories at this year’s Oscars, both of which currently have no real frontrunner. And then, he could wind up winning a voiceover Emmy for Central Park. He already got nominated for the first season, and we’ve seen cases where they reward whoever has the most buzz of the nominees. It would be pretty interesting if he got the EGOT before Lin Manuel Miranda.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

1. Rylance
    2. Dance
    3. Murray
    4. Abdul Mateen
    5. Odom Jr.

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Assuming that Kaluuya, Yeun, Lindo & Ben-Adir are lead

Leaving critics blank at the moment because I feel they’re gonna pull a Farmiga 05 and go for something obscure & wild (like a 13th placed Indie Spirit contender or John Boyega for Small Axe)

Spirits: Henriksen, Jerome, Lee, Strathairn, Vázquez
    Globes: Abdul-Manteen II, E. Grant, Odom Jr, Rylance, Strong
    Critics Choice: Abdul-Manteen II, Goree, Murray, Odom Jr, Rylance, Strathairn
    SAG: Abdul-Manteen II, de Jesus, E. Grant, Odom Jr, Rhodes
    BAFTA: Dance, Goree, E. Grant, Odom Jr, Rylance, Strong
    Oscar: Abdul-Manteen II, Dance, E. Grant, Odom Jr., Rylance

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Why would Goree get nominated at BAFTA but nowhere else?

Also why would Strong get nominated at BAFTA? Because they like Succession?

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Monty
    Topics:

I feel bad for Frank Langella here. Not only do I think he won’t be able to squeeze a nomination in here despite out-acting nearly everyone in Chicago 7, he’s probably going to watch Hopkins win an Oscar for a role he won a Tony for. Dude’s one of the best actors of his generation and I’m not sure how many more chances he’ll get to win.

I think Frank Langella could pull off a Mark Rylance/ Julie Andrews.
    Like Rylance, this is a wide open year with nominees from different best picture nominees. No particular frontrunner. And he is also a respected actor (plus a previous nomination in lead category, which Rylance did not have)
    Like Andrews, the academy would feel bad that he did not get to play his acclaimed role and award him.
    And he is playing a pure devil which is usually winning this category.
    Perhaps Langella might be the new frontrunner here which people do not realize. He has the strongest narrative and I would be rooting for him all the way.

It is funny that Langella and Hopkins are similar in so many ways. Both the same age. Both played Richard Nixon. Both played in the Father.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Well, this is an interesting race again, now that Netflix continues to sabotage their chances at an above-the-line Oscar win that isn’t Director or Supporting Actress. Guess they only want to win those two categories.

Stanfield could win but I think his performance will be overshadowed by Kaluuya. More likely to me is Odom Jr., who seems to be the new consensus pick here. Based on the reviews I’ve seen he’s been called by many the standout of the film, and also he has a lot of buzz from Hamilton and is the frontrunner to win Original Song.

If Warner wanted, however, they could easily win this category now by switching Kaluuya and Stanfield, which seems doable since Stanfield really looked like the lead to me in that trailer. But I guess we’ll see.

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    joesilver
    Topics:

Lmao the way some of you want half of the lead actor contenders to do category fraud after the new placement of Boseman in lead

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Lmao the way some of you want half of the lead actor contenders to do category fraud after the new placement of Boseman in lead

If you’re talking about Kaluuya, there was never confirmation that he was lead in the first place. From the synopsis and the trailer he is more supporting than lead due to the story being seen through Stanfield’s characters perspective. If they end up putting Kaluuya in supporting then he will easily sweep this category.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

If you’re talking about Kaluuya, there was never confirmation that he was lead in the first place. From the synopsis and the trailer he is more supporting than lead due to the story being seen through Stanfield’s characters perspective. If they end up putting Kaluuya in supporting then he will easily sweep this category.

Well he’s been in lead since the prediction center opened, the advertising is clearly emphasizing his role over Stanfield’s, and unlike Boseman, they’ve yet to make him an option in supporting. Maybe they’ll place him there later, but I think those signs confirm that for there moment, the studio considers him lead.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Well he’s been in lead since the prediction center opened, the advertising is clearly emphasizing his role over Stanfield’s, and unlike Boseman, they’ve yet to make him an option in supporting. Maybe they’ll place him there later, but I think those signs confirm that for there moment, the studio considers him lead.

Yea I agree to an extent, ofc they’re gonna advertise his character more bc he’s the main selling point of the film. It could definitely go either way and it’s quite hard to predict on how they’re gonna place them, but I’m certain if they’re aware of the moves netflix has just made with moving Chad lead, then I could see them fancying the idea of putting Kaluuya supporting rather than lead.

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

I have yet to be convinced that the idea of Kaluuya going supporting is anything other than fanciful wish-fulfillment by people on the internet to make things more convenient for their predictions. (Especially now that Boseman has gone lead.) Yes I’ve heard the argument of “it’s from Stanfield’s point of view” blah blah blah. Not buying it. And the lack of an official announcement on the subject thus far does not necessarily mean WB is seriously considering the matter.

I’ll happily eat crow if proven wrong though.

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

I haven’t seen The Trial of the Chicago 7, but could Sacha Baron Cohen win if he went supporting? He has a comedian-going-dramatic narrative, and Abbie Hoffman is the most famous character. Most importantly, he is about to everywhere this season with the new Borat movie.

Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

I haven’t seen The Trial of the Chicago 7, but could Sacha Baron Cohen win if he went supporting? He has a comedian-going-dramatic narrative, and Abbie Hoffman is the most famous character. Most importantly, he is about to everywhere this season with the new Borat movie.

I’m pretty confident that if he goes supporting he would be the frontrunner.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor’ is closed to new replies.