Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 499 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Dan Backslide
wolfali
David
  • Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

If you’re talking about Kaluuya, there was never confirmation that he was lead in the first place. From the synopsis and the trailer he is more supporting than lead due to the story being seen through Stanfield’s characters perspective. If they end up putting Kaluuya in supporting then he will easily sweep this category.

This. All of the A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood trailers focussed on Tom Hanks, and he was even the only one on the poster, but he was still supporting. They could easily be doing the sane thing for Judas, especially since Kaluuya’s role as Fred Hampton is the major selling point.

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

The difference with Tom Hanks is that he had significantly less screentime than Matthew Rhys. Kaluuya and Stanfield are reported to have roughly equal prominence.

Profile picture
    Manuelcolon
    Topics:

I haven’t seen The Trial of the Chicago 7, but could Sacha Baron Cohen win if he went supporting? He has a comedian-going-dramatic narrative, and Abbie Hoffman is the most famous character. Most importantly, he is about to everywhere this season with the new Borat movie.

He was my favorite in the movie, but he wouldn’t be a shoe in to win, he might snag SAG or Globe tho, he’s just not amazingly good, but he is pretty good.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

The difference with Tom Hanks is that he had significantly less screentime than Matthew Rhys. Kaluuya and Stanfield are reported to have roughly equal prominence.

Not to mention, we were hearing reports that he was supporting long before they made the announcement official. We’ve yet to hear anything reliable on Kaluuya being supporting.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

All that being said, it’s truly up to the studio and the actor on where he wants to be campaigned. Considering that Kaluuya and Boseman were close friends, I’m pretty sure he would be more than willing to move to a different category to make way for a Boseman win. I see where you guys are coming from though. It could truly go either way.

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

The Supporting Actor race is by far the most open of any acting category and its already giving me anxiety 😂

So is Kaluuya really being placed here? Or is this based solely on speculation? If true, he would probably win.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

So is Kaluuya really being placed here? Or is this based solely on speculation? If true, he would probably win.

Speculation at this point, but hopefully it happens because this category is a literal ghost town with no frontrunners.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

I’m pretty confident that if he goes supporting he would be the frontrunner.

That is mostly because of how barren the category is instead of anything he did. I dont even think he was close to best in show.

Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

Wow this category just opened up completely. I have no idea what to do here now.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Wow this category just opened up completely. I have no idea what to do here now.

I’m currently predicting Rylance to win (although of course that can easily change).

This will sound like very strange advice but I’d advise you get the 100/1 odds on Richard E. Grant before they go. His performance is being hyped up quite a bit, his film could be a below the line contender, I can see him getting in at the Globes and BAFTAs, he is a previous Oscar nominee in this category and the category this year is empty.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Derp Boy
    Topics:

Going in for a long shot, Bill Murray has promise.

"We will always have Paris"

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

After watching On The Rocks, I am going out and predicting a win for Murray.

FYC OSCARS

AMY ADAMS- Best Actress
    The Boys in the Band- Jim Parsons/Screenplay

Profile picture
    Arular26
    Topics:

Just finished On the Rocks. I’m personally starting the campaign for Murray. Please make it happen!

Profile picture
    Monty
    Topics:

I really think Frank Langella’s chance is being underestimated here.
    1. An acclaimed actor with a previous nomination in lead category and no win. Can’t say the same thing about many other possible nominees here.
    2. This category is a veteran achievement award and he is 82.
    3. This category is famous for awarding a devil role.
    4. With Hopkins at the front and center of this year race, some people might be reminded that he was snubbed of his Tony-winning role by Hopkins.
    5. Vote split with co-star? People are supposed to be voting for individual performance, not the film.
    Winning is about narrative and I think Langella has the narrative.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

I really think Frank Langella’s chance is being underestimated here.

I totally agree, Langella was arguably my favorite performance in Chicago 7. Rylance and Langella definitely deserve the noms out of the whole ensemble. I wasn’t all that high on Sbc in here and thought he was just okay, but maybe Borat can boost his chances a bit. If Kaluuya doesn’t move to this category then I would be rooting for a Langella win.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor’ is closed to new replies.