Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 499 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Dan Backslide
wolfali
David
  • Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

I really think Frank Langella’s chance is being underestimated here.
    1. An acclaimed actor with a previous nomination in lead category and no win. Can’t say the same thing about many other possible nominees here.
    2. This category is a veteran achievement award and he is 82.
    3. This category is famous for awarding a devil role.
    4. With Hopkins at the front and center of this year race, some people might be reminded that he was snubbed of his Tony-winning role by Hopkins.
    5. Vote split with co-star? People are supposed to be voting for individual performance, not the film.
    Winning is about narrative and I think Langella has the narrative.

I think he might get in somewhere(Globes, SAG, CC, BAFTA), but I just don’t see him getting in at the Oscars. I would say he’s at the very best the fourth in line from The Chicago 7 cast. As far as the devil role goes, I do think that’s going to be Charles Dance in Mank and I don’t think they’re gonna go for two devil roles.

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

Updated Predictions

1. Bill Murray, On The Rocks
    2. Mark Rylance, The Trial of the Chicago 7
    3. Charles Dance, Mank
    4. Frank Langella, The Trial of the Chicago 7
    5. Leslie Odom Jr, One Night in Miami

FYC OSCARS

AMY ADAMS- Best Actress
    The Boys in the Band- Jim Parsons/Screenplay

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I wonder if, with all the potential ensemble vote-splitting, Murray can jump in and win as the standout from his film. The problem is On The Rocks doesn’t look like a strong contender.

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Bill Murray seems like the contender that hits SAG-GG-BFCA and gets snubbed.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Murray isn’t getting nominated. Precursor nods? Yes. Oscar nod? No. The movie is a nonfactor. This is probably the worst performance of his career for the record. Completely dead facial expressions, with the screenplay being entirely responsible for his “standout” status.

I’d say his worst performance is in the Ghostbusters reboot where it consists of him sitting for almost all of his screentime, acting bored out of his mind, saying about one joke, and all around looking humiliated that he’s doing even a cameo in that film.

Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

Bill Murray was definitely good in On the Rocks and the highlight of the film. LOL at anyone saying otherwise. Voters will eat up his character (especially the older ones!). Personally, I would have loved just one more emotional scene to lock in a nom/win, but it is what it is.

The movie overall is just okay/decent/enjoyable enough, so that hurts his chances. I wouldn’t say his film is competitive for any other nomination.

The biggest things he has going for him are his narrative as a legendary comedic actor and former Oscar nominee who came close to a win but has never won and the fact that his Oscar campaign will be backed by Apple money.

Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

Based on the performances I have seen so far, I would rank:

1) Leslie Odom, Jr. – One Night in Miami
    2) Bill Murray – On the Rocks
    3) Yahya Abdul-Mateen II – The Trial of the Chicago 7
    4) Mark Rylance – The Trial of the Chicago 7
    5) Frank Langella – The Trial of the Chicago 7

6) Eli Goree – One Night in Miami
    7) Chadwick Boseman – Da 5 Bloods

Sidenote: If A24 decides to switch and campaign Steven Yeun from Minari in Supporting, I would place him either 2nd or 3rd.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I just saw On the Rocks and I can’t believe you guys. Murray IS getting nominated. I wasn’t a fan of his work in the film but the quirky father trying to impress daughter character is the EXACT type of role both older members of the Academy as well as the women in their 30s/40s with 60/70 year old fathers demographic in the Academy.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Predicted nominees (might swap the top two soon):

1. Charle Dance, Mank

2. Leslie Odom Jr, One Night in Miami

3. Mark Rylance, Trial of the Chicago 7

4. Frank Langella, Trial of the Chicago 7

5. Bill Murray, On the Rocks

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Predicted nominees (might swap the top two soon): 1. Charle Dance, Mank 2. Leslie Odom Jr, One Night in Miami 3. Mark Rylance, Trial of the Chicago 7 4. Frank Langella, Trial of the Chicago 7 5. Bill Murray, On the Rocks

Snap. Except I have Abdul-Mateen instead of Langella.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    bellajoe
    Topics:

I swear if Chadwick ends up losing because of this move……….

All the actors from Trial should go supporting, but Langella is the only one deserving of a nomination. Maybe Rylance just because it is a weak year.

I’ve personally had Murray in the whole time. He definitely has the overdue factor and his snub in Lost in Translation is infamous. He may even be in play for the win, but I don’t have Apple TV+ so I guess I won’t know.

FYC Oscars 2021:
    Best Picture: Nomadland, Minari
    Best Actress: Sophia Loren, Viola Davis
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Director: Chloe Zhao
    Best Documentary: Gunda
    Best Song: Boss Bitch- Doja Cat

Profile picture
    Mickmack
    Topics:

Snap. Except I have Abdul-Mateen instead of Langella.

Abdul should be nowhere near a nomination for that performance.

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

Abdul should be nowhere near a nomination for that performance.

a) it’s Abdul-Mateen and b) he is on several frontrunner lists and is a universally praised part of a Best Picture contender, so he is plenty near a nomination, regardless of your personal opinion

rubbish

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor’ is closed to new replies.