Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 499 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Dan Backslide
wolfali
David
  • Profile picture
    Arular26
    Topics:

Cohen might win in this, not because his perfomance was great (it wasn’t) but as a career award and of course he’s having a lot of expouse and good press with Borat 2. Like Dern, it makes sense to reward him this year.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Cohen might win in this, not because his perfomance was great (it wasn’t) but as a career award and of course he’s having a lot of expouse and good press with Borat 2. Like Dern, it makes sense to reward him this year.

But Dern was much more respected in the industry than Baron Cohen, and she didn’t have to worry about potential vote splitting. Also, she had been going through a Renaissance with acclaimed performances in multiple major projects.

While he doesn’t have the benefit of another big movie out this year like Baron Cohen, his costar Langella would be more likely to get a career award since he’s been around for much longer, is a prior acting nominee, and is more universally respected.

Not saying there isn’t a path to a Baron Cohen victory (though I won’t predict it), but I don’t think it would have anything to do with being a career win, or that he’s all that comparable to Dern.

Profile picture
    mf617
    Topics:

Reading reactions online to this news seems to clarify to me that it will still be hard to come to a consensus pick on who should be nominated, and if there is more than one nominee from “Chicago 7,” who would win. There are supporters for Sacha Baron Cohen, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Mark Rylance and Frank Langella in equal measure I would say. Any nomination outside of those four would surprise me. Everyone likely has their own preference of a combination of two.

Profile picture
    Arular26
    Topics:

But Dern was much more respected in the industry than Baron Cohen, and she didn’t have to worry about potential vote splitting. Also, she had been going through a Renaissance with acclaimed performances in multiple major projects. While he doesn’t have the benefit of another big movie out this year like Baron Cohen, his costar Langella would be more likely to get a career award since he’s been around for much longer, is a prior acting nominee, and is more universally respected. Not saying there isn’t a path to a Baron Cohen victory (though I won’t predict it), but I don’t think it would have anything to do with being a career win, or that he’s all that comparable to Dern.

Yeah, of course, it’s just a theory; It still very early and we’re yet to see other contenders.

Profile picture
    Damucracia
    Topics:

For those who have seen ONE NIGHT IN MIAMI… do you see Odom Jr winning ?

Profile picture
    Hayden
    Topics:

Anne Thompson just confirmed that the entire cast of the trial of a Chicago seven is going to compete as supporting

Although it muddies the category, it is… well, accurate and fair. Despite the ridiculousness of campaigning (… 7?) supporting actors for one film, at least it isn’t some weird fraud like saying Rylance is lead.

I think at this point there’s about 9 legitimate contenders here with no frontrunner, and that’s without Kaluuya. Doesn’t help that everyone’s pretty even at this point either. Really don’t know who’s walking away with this one this year, but I’m next to certain Boseman’s not going to land for Da 5 Bloods. It’s way too packed for that.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Anne Thompson just confirmed that the entire cast of the trial of a Chicago seven is going to compete as supporting

makes sense to me. I thought redmayne was more leading then cohen so happy that cohen is moving at least. I think it is getting double nods easy just got to see who it settles on.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Now it is confirmed that all of ‘The Trial of the Chicago 7’ actors will be campaigned in supporting. https://twitter.com/awards_watch/status/1320846903974621184?s=20

Good. Netflix already has enough actors in Lead and that race is too crowded anyway. Plus anything other than the whole cast going supporting would be blatant category fraud.

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Even Redmayne is supporting now? Smh

Yeah, because he is.

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    jjjmoss1
    Topics:

Someone did a count and said Redmayne’s in like 30% of the film; if you’re missing from the supermajority of something, supporting makes total sense.

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Bill Murray is borderline lead in On the Rocks. Or maybe I’m tripping. Someone needs to calculate his screen time. His role also plays a very huge part in the plot as well. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Profile picture
    Edgar Pereira
    Topics:

That’s what I was suspecting… It opens a door for SBC Oscar hopes. I expect TToC7 to be an Oscar favorite (maybe BP winner, BOScreenplay and Best Editing) and a Best Supporting Actor win would fit the picture – and SBC is showy enough and plays against type.

Edgar Pereira
    Cinema and Popcorn
    https://cinemaandpopcorn.blogspot.com/

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Someone did a count and said Redmayne’s in like 30% of the film; if you’re missing from the supermajority of something, supporting makes total sense.

Judging category placement by screen time is always flawed in my opinion, as narrative thrust is the main factor. Also how is that screentime calculated? Is it the amount of time an actor is present in a scene or simply the amount of time he’s visible on screen? There’s a difference.

Still, I don’t want to press this point too far. There are worse frauds.

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

Aaaand this is suddenly the most competitive race lol.

I’m thinking SBC and Rylance make it for Chicago 7. Dance is secure. Odom Jr is also very likely. Murray has that one superb scene in On The Rocks that will for sure offset the movie’s weaknesses otherwise. Stanfield/Kaluuya in dangerous straits.

rubbish

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor’ is closed to new replies.