Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 499 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Dan Backslide
wolfali
David
  • Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

What if all 4 of the TTOTC7 guys that are receiving the most praise (Abdul-Mateen II, Langella, Rylance, Baron Cohen) get nominated and Leslie Odom Jr. is the only other nominee? That would be the easiest win ever for Odom Jr. with all the vote splitting that would happen.

In this scenario: Langella could build an overdue narrative. He’s been in the industry for decades and is a previous nominee. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

I think the lack of consensus on the star supporters in TTOTC7 could actually work against multiple nominees. I doubt voters will afford the same movie more than two spots on their ballot (three at the very most), especially seeing as how it’s not a Godfather type of insanely acclaimed movie. With Rylance, Yahya, Sacha, and Langella all as fairly legitimate contenders (and Strong and Redmayne maybe not to be counted out), the favorites come down to personal opinion and viewpoint. All of them are good, but none really scream Give This Man An Oscar Nomination any more than the others. I think it’s a strong possibility we only see one representative from the film here because votes will split.

This movie is one of the few situations at the Oscars where I really feel like vote splitting will pose a serious and equal challenge to each contender in the nominations process.

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

This is the most unsure category… If Dance is indeed unimpressive (which I hope he is not!!!!) then does that mean we have an open spot for another Chicago 7 contender? Or does it go to Lakeith Stanfield or Daniel Kaluuya? And my guess is Ma Rainey is going to have at least one contender in Supporting Actor. There is also Da 5 Bloods which exists.

And Chicago 7 in and of itself is a conundrum… There is no accurate way to predict who will be best placed for a nom- Rylance is the favorite, Langella is the old veteran who delivers a great performance albeit in an evil role, AMII’s performance is the kind that voters will love, SBC’s performance is fine but he has a larger narrative and is one of the most talked about aspects of the movie, and that is not even including Redmayne, who is well liked by the AMPAS and a previous winner.

Murray feels like a lock for some reason lol despite the movie’s absence in any other category. I haven’t seen Once Upon A Time In Miami and I know Odom Jr is the frontrunner on GD right now, but I do agree with whoever said that the movie feels like a Screenplay player and that’s all.

rubbish

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Scott Feinberg has just revealed his first forecast this season and Charles Dance is not in his top 12 supporting actors contenders. And since none of his Mank predictions – Dance included – is in the “Still to see” section, he’s already seen the movie (which btw is his frontrunner for Picture and Director). Só probably Dance is not that great in it.

Here it is:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/feinberg-forecast-a-first-read-of-the-race-to-the-93rd-oscars

Enjoy

He also has Kingsley Ben-Adir listed in supporting along with Leslie Odom Jr. (and not even in the top five?!) Interesting.

Profile picture
    Monty
    Topics:

I found Frank Langella really likeable and a brilliant actor. In a line-up without obvious frontrunner, I hope the academy does not miss their last chance to award this respectable actor.

Profile picture
    Damucracia
    Topics:

I really hope there’s a narrative to put Kaluuya in supporting. Watched the trailer again and his role is over the moon. Maybe Warner can pull a Tom Hanks/Rogers situation.

I’m not desperate for any actual contender right now.

Langella was great in TTOTC7. It seems Dance is not that huge in Mank. And Boseman’s role in D5B is irrelevant.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

1. Langella
    2. Rylance
    3. Odom Jr
    4. Murray
    5. Strathairn

Profile picture
    JennaJenna
    Topics:

I found Frank Langella really likeable and a brilliant actor. In a line-up without obvious frontrunner, I hope the academy does not miss their last chance to award this respectable actor.

You found Langella likable…. in this?

Not arguing that he’s a great actor, but his character is as far away from likable as I can imagine.

Profile picture
    ArtIsntEasy
    Topics:

Langella’s character is certainly far from likable in this film. Not sure how anyone could find that possible.

It’s a very one note character but Langella does as well with the material as one could considering how it’s basically him being despicable and nothing else.

“The art of making art is putting it together...”

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

Langella is not happening. Chicago 7 is not getting more than 2 actors nominated (at best) and only Rylance and Baron Cohen seem to have a real shot.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

After watching The Trial of the Chicago 7, Mark Rylance is the only one from the cast that I would say is safe. Langella’s character will drive several voters away and I really don’t see the appeal in SBC. He was just okay but I guess Borat 2 could help him get in.

Profile picture
    diego
    Topics:

After watching The Trial of the Chicago 7, Mark Rylance is the only one from the cast that I would say is safe. Langella’s character will drive several voters away and I really don’t see the appeal in SBC. He was just okay but I guess Borat 2 could help him get in.

Yeah, personally I don’t think SBC deserves a nomination but with everything he has going on with Borat I can see the academy nominating him for this since that is not touching the Oscars.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Sacha Baron Cohen could easily get the J-Lo treatment here this year. Except his performance isn’t as acclaimed.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Sacha Baron Cohen could easily get the J-Lo treatment here this year. Except his performance isn’t as acclaimed.

Well I think the comparison is a bit flawed. While both do have their detractors, Baron Cohen’s filmography is much more prestigious, as he’s been in two Best Picture nominees, he has an Oscar nomination for writing, he won a Golden Globe for acting, he’s got a bunch of Emmy nods, and unlike Lopez who had a long stretch of panned performances from the late 90s to just last year, Baron Cohen is commonly viewed as a good actor.

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

Well I think the comparison is a bit flawed. While both do have their detractors, Baron Cohen’s filmography is much more prestigious, as he’s been in two Best Picture nominees, he has an Oscar nomination for writing, he won a Golden Globe for acting, he’s got a bunch of Emmy nods, and unlike Lopez who had a long stretch of panned performances from the late 90s to just last year, Baron Cohen is commonly viewed as a good actor.

I see literally nothing in common between Sacha Baren Cohen and JLo. His reputation/image is quite possibly the polar opposite of JLo’s, which played the biggest role in her snub. And there’s the fact that Chicago 7 is a Best Picture contender whereas Hustlers was getting in absolutely nowhere.

rubbish

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor’ is closed to new replies.