Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 499 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Dan Backslide
wolfali
David
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Baron Cohen’s filmography is much more prestigious, as he’s been in two Best Picture nominees, he has an Oscar nomination for writing, he won a Golden Globe for acting

Sure he’s won a Globe but I don’t think he’s taken seriously as an actor in a similar way to J-Lo. He deserves a nomination for Chicago 7 imo but I don’t think the fact that he appeared in the Academy Award nominated Hugo. He is still known for playing Borat and Bruno and The Dictator and those types of characters.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    justonemorething
    Topics:

SBC is an Oscar nominee. J-Lo is not. Full stop. Thank u, next.

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Sure he’s won a Globe but I don’t think he’s taken seriously as an actor in a similar way to J-Lo. He deserves a nomination for Chicago 7 imo but I don’t think the fact that he appeared in the Academy Award nominated Hugo. He is still known for playing Borat and Bruno and The Dictator and those types of characters.

No, he’s definitely way more respected than her. He’s an Oscar and Emmy nominee for writing, directing and acting and a Golden Globe + BAFTA TV winner. Not to mention his WGA and DGA nominations. Never nominated for a Razzie either. He also has several Oscar movies on his resumé (Hugo, Les Misérables, Sweeney Todd etc) while she just… doesn’t. He’s not on her level

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo, Chadwick Boseman
    Best Supp Actor - Daniel Kaluuya, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

I’m not counting Sbc out, but I honestly think Rylance and Langella are the more likely options on getting nominated this year. Sbc will be the third, but I don’t see Chicago getting 3 guys into supporting.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

He’s taken way more seriously than JLo who has about three well received performances and then like twenty that were panned, one of which was in Gigli, widely regarded as one of the worst films ever made.

And yeah he’s best known for playing Borat, but that’s a widely beloved character, far more popular than any of Lopez’s, and a role that many people say should’ve gotten him a nomination, even though it was a silly comic role.

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

The way Borat ended up being this super acclaimed, culturally impactful, Golden Globe winning and Oscar nominated classic despite the poster looking like pure Razzie-bait will never stop being funny

SBC has been on a pretty hot streak recently with a bunch of Emmy and Globe noms. I wouldn’t be surprised if he happened for Chicago 7

FYC :

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

The way Borat ended up being this super acclaimed, culturally impactful, Golden Globe winning and Oscar nominated classic despite the poster looking like pure Razzie-bait will never stop being funny SBC has been on a pretty hot streak recently with a bunch of Emmy and Globe noms. I wouldn’t be surprised if he happened for Chicago 7

What’s truly hilarious is how it’s not only an Oscar nominated film, but there’s a lot of people who say that the Adapted Screenplay nod wasn’t enough and that it should’ve gotten into Lead Actor as well.

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

What’s truly hilarious is how it’s not only an Oscar nominated film, but there’s a lot of people who say that the Adapted Screenplay nod wasn’t enough and that it should’ve gotten into Lead Actor as well.

I’m one of those people

Borat was messy as hell but pure comedy gold

FYC :

Profile picture
    JennaJenna
    Topics:

There’s also the fact that because he’s best known for such absurd characters, the vast difference between them and his actual persona is in itself a selling point.

Sort of like a comic actor taking on a dramatic role, but in real life.

I’ve seen a speech he made last year gain huge reactions on Twitter because he comes off so intelligent and well spoken, and it catches people by surprise.

Honestly think a strong acceptance speech at the Globes for comedy actor could go a long way.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

There’s also the fact that because he’s best known for such absurd characters, the vast difference between them and his actual persona is in itself a selling point. Sort of like a comic actor taking on a dramatic role, but in real life. I’ve seen a speech he made last year gain huge reactions on Twitter because he comes off so intelligent and well spoken, and it catches people by surprise. Honestly think a strong acceptance speech at the Globes for comedy actor could go a long way.

That’s true. I recently saw a speech of his, it may be the one you were referring to. He went into detail about how his work helps bring prejudices to light, and he represented himself in a very intelligent manner.

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

SBC is known for playing over the top caricatures, yes, but he is not and has never been considered synonymous with those characters himself… It’s absurd to suggest he is not as respected as JLo when he is quite literally hailed as one of the greatest satirists of all time, and is in fact a popular member of the industry and considered very intelligent by most of his peers. And Hollywood is going to love him for how hard he’s trolling Trump.

JLo was a victim of something that many A-List female celebrities go through that trashes your credibility and persona with Academy members, nothing about her situation is remotely applicable to SBC.

rubbish

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Baron Cohen actually (deservedly) won LAFCA for Borat, tied with Forest Whitaker. I hope Maria Bakalova can accomplish the same.

Profile picture
    Viridiana
    Topics:

Baron Cohen feels pretty much like Murray pre-Lost in Translation imo. He´s well liked, has had some recognition before (LAFCA, Globes, Emmys) and a few commercial hits. His main  disadvantage is that he is fighting for a spot with almost everybody else from his own film so he will have to really use the Borat card to raise his profile as a potential nominee (from an industry perspective)

Profile picture
    Monty
    Topics:

You found Langella likable…. in this?

Not arguing that he’s a great actor, but his character is as far away from likable as I can imagine.

Obviously I said Frank Langella is likable. The character he is playing is annoying. The nominations are between Rylance, Langella and SBC. The question is whether two or three of them get it. It could be Rylance getting snubbed because he already won.

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

It could be Rylance getting snubbed because he already won.

I can’t think of a single case in Oscar history where someone was snubbed because they already won. Voters just aren’t that generous.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor’ is closed to new replies.