Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 499 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Dan Backslide
wolfali
David
  • Profile picture
    Jake
    Topics:

Mark Rylance returning to the category he won 5 years ago would be like underlining that he’s still well liked and that his win wasn’t a fluke. In the last 10 years (sans the most recent one, ofc) Waltz, Bale, Plummer, Ali and Rockwell all returned, while Leto, Simmons and Rylance have yet to do it. I think Rylance will this year and Simmons will at least once in his career. I wouldn’t bet on Leto but weirder things happened.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think Rylance is safe for Chicago 7 (he’s the most respected actor and the previous winner here). Don’t know who to predict second. Currently have Abdul-Mateen because he was great and his performance is timely but I can see one of Langella and Baron Cohen sneak in instead of him. Don’t see a path for the waxen Eddie Redmayne or Jeremy Strong or Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    BenitoDelicias
    Topics:

Saw Chicago 7 a few days ago. Seems to me like this film and its contenders might only hold up because it’s a Covid year. With a lot of competition it would easily fade and get no supporting nominations. Easiest bet is Rylance and maybe Baron Cohen since he might get some Borat votes here and there too. But I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it gets like Picture and Screenplay and that’s it.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Saw Chicago 7 a few days ago. Seems to me like this film and its contenders might only hold up because it’s a Covid year. With a lot of competition it would easily fade and get no supporting nominations. Easiest bet is Rylance and maybe Baron Cohen since he might get some Borat votes here and there too. But I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it gets like Picture and Screenplay and that’s it.

Chicago 7 was supposed to debut in September when it was under Paramount. Few September movies usually make the cut. I think it’d get an Original Screenplay nom only under normal circumstances.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Both Mank and <i>Chicago 7 </i>might get shut out in supporting actor noms. This isn’t an unlimited ballot like at the Emmys I believe and Arliss Howard is also getting praise for his performance in Mank with some saying he might get nominated.

Mank could literally just get Oldman and Seyfried in.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    mf617
    Topics:

I’ve seen some vague online chatter that leads me to indicate people are starting to see “Judas and the Black Messiah,” including Clayton Davis at Variety who has switched Kaluuya into supporting and Stanfield into lead (and has Dominique Fishback making the supporting actress lineup but that’s a matter for a different thread).

Profile picture
    Lj
    Topics:

I’ve seen some vague online chatter that leads me to indicate people are starting to see “Judas and the Black Messiah,” including Clayton Davis at Variety who has switched Kaluuya into supporting and Stanfield into lead (and has Dominique Fishback making the supporting actress lineup but that’s a matter for a different thread).

I’ve seen people mention that they’ve seen a super embargoed film that they can’t mention and i’m really starting to think it’s Judas now…

Profile picture
    LLLhawks
    Topics:

I’m excited for this category already. If Judas moves to the next Oscar year, then possibly 4 of the nominees will be from Chicago 7. Dangg

I just love movies. And awards.

Profile picture
    Damucracia
    Topics:

If Kaluuya goes supporting… I can see him a lock for winner

Profile picture
    Edgar Pereira
    Topics:

Oh! That’s interesting! Keeping them in the race is a good indicator by itself… Any comment about the movie’s quality, btw?

Edgar Pereira
    Cinema and Popcorn
    https://cinemaandpopcorn.blogspot.com/

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

If Kaluuya goes supporting… I can see him a lock for winner

Pretty much. And Ahmad has a strong shot at taking the 5th Best Actor slot.

Fuck the Grammys

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

Just watched the Trial of the Chicago 7. These are my takes on the supporting actors in contention

* Eddie Redmayne has by far the showiest role. He is at the very center of the movie’s climax and has consistent screentime throughout. He has the most clearly defined character arc, and I would argue is the “star” of the movie.

* Mark Rylance, by virtue of his role, does not have any screentime issues. He is the defense attorney and most of the film takes place in the courtroom. He is also predictably excellent.

* Yahya Abdul-Matten II is really good but is not in a huge chunk of the movie, which could be problematic. His role has the most political resonance today, which could help, but he is not present at all for the movie’s climax.

* Sacha Baron Cohen plays a different character for him which could be applauded but only has a few real moments for himself. He has an argument with Redmayne which is one of the film’s highlights and he delivers the film’s key testimony. Going in, I thought he was the real star of the movie but he isn’t.

Overall, I feel comfortable predicting Rylance, because there will be a consensus around him. I’m really inclined to predict Redmayne even though it seems no one else is. Can anyone give me a reason why not? Is it because he’s borderline lead?

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Overall, I feel comfortable predicting Rylance, because there will be a consensus around him. I’m really inclined to predict Redmayne even though it seems no one else is. Can anyone give me a reason why not? Is it because he’s borderline lead?

Thats a good shout. I dont think anyone really knows how the nominations are going to be divvied up amongst the supporting cast. I’d definitely have redmayne over Langella. Only currently have Yahya because of the good odds.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

If Kaluuya ends up here, he’s winning. Without question.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

If Kaluuya ends up here, he’s winning. Without question.

Exactly!! I don’t like calling out sweeps, but Kaluuya will definitely sweep if placed in supporting. Really hoping he is placed here instead of lead.

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor’ is closed to new replies.