Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 499 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Dan Backslide
wolfali
David
  • Profile picture
    Dorsey
    Topics:

it reduces the most important event in leftist politics of the late 20th century to a squabble about grammar and haircuts. sorry if I hurt Sorkin’s (net worth $80 million) feelings lol

FYC: Riz Ahmed + Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)
    Sidney Flanigan (Never Rarely Sometimes Always)
    Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    shrader_loc
    Topics:

Take this with a grain of salt, but Clayton Davis recently just switched his predictions from Kaluuya being campaigned to lead and he moved him supporting while Stanfield is lead. Clayton Davis actually has a pretty close relationship with two of the writers being the Lucas Bros, so I’m assuming they may have told him that would be the plan which led to him switching Kaluuya to supporting and Stanfield to lead so randomly.

interesting that he’s also predicting Fishback.

The director himself invited her to play the part and it sounds like she could work as the emotional core of the film. Hopefully it pans out.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

interesting that he’s also predicting Fishback. The director himself invited her to play the part and it sounds like she could work as the emotional core of the film. Hopefully it pans out.

She very well can be, i’m expecting her to be a surprise in the supporting actress category. I’ve heard great things about her and I heard she has several key scenes as well, so she’s definitely in the conversation and I think I’m about to put her in my 5 as well.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

it reduces the most important event in leftist politics of the late 20th century to a squabble about grammar and haircuts.

It very clearly doesn’t.

Anyway, in contrast with those prior Twitter reactions, I’m currently seeing more about Dance and Howard than I am Pelphrey, who seems to be the smallest and least central role of the three. Since Dance is the biggest vet and he’s apparently the one they’re pushing hardest, in keeping him in, though unless if Kaluuya or someone else drops from lead to supporting, I think this is now Odom’s to lose.

And it’s clear that Burke isn’t getting in based on what we’re seeing right now. His role looks to be more akin to a cameo.

Profile picture
    fyras19
    Topics:

It very clearly doesn’t. Anyway, in contrast with those prior Twitter reactions, I’m currently seeing more about Dance and Howard than I am Pelphrey, who seems to be the smallest and least central role of the three. Since Dance is the biggest vet and he’s apparently the one they’re pushing hardest, in keeping him in, though unless if Kaluuya or someone else drops from lead to supporting, I think this is now Odom’s to lose. And it’s clear that Burke isn’t getting in based on what we’re seeing right now. His role looks to be more akin to a cameo.

I read some reviews and I agree, Burke’s role seems like a cameo. But I’ve seen more acclaim to Howard and Pelphrey than to Dance, who apparently doesn’t go big with Hearst. I think one of the former two can get in if there’s a consensus and if there aren’t many contenders, but those are a lot of ‘if’s already.

Profile picture
    jez89
    Topics:

Finally got around to seeing Trial of Chicago 7 and I’m curious who you all think will be the BSA nominee from the film (they may even get two) Right now, my preference would be 1. Redmayne 2. Rylance 3. Cohen 4. Gordon-Levitt 5. Abdul-Mateen II 6. Strong But I think in terms of likelihood for a nomination it would be 1. Rylance 2. Cohen 3. Redmayne 4. Abdul-Mateen II Rylance, Cohen, and Redmayne have the best roles and Mateen, while not afforded the same amount of screen time, definitely gets to have a lot of louder scenes that the Academy goes for. Would love to hear others’ thoughts.

You didn’t rate Langella?

Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

After skimming through a number of reviews for Mank, my observation is that Arliss Howard as Louis B. Mayer is getting the best notices of the supporting male cast by a slim margin. I could imagine some of the older Academy members in particular relishing his portrayal of the famed Hollywood producer; therefore I’ll make an early prediction that he’ll miss most if not all of the precursors but surprise on Oscar nomination morning.

Agreed!

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Updated Best Supporting Actor Predictions:

1. Daniel Kaluuya- ‘Judas and the Black Messiah’
    2. Leslie Odom Jr.- ‘One Night in Miami’
    3. Bill Murray- ‘On The Rocks’
    4. Mark Rylance- ‘The Trial of the Chicago 7’
    5. Sacha Baron Cohen- ‘The Trial of the Chicago 7’

6. Frank Langella- ‘The Trial of the Chicago 7’
    7. Eddie Redmayne- ‘The Trial of the Chicago 7’
    8. Arliss Howard- ‘Mank’
    9. Chadwick Boseman- ‘Da 5 Bloods’
    10. Yahya Abdul-Manteen II- ‘The Trial of the Chicago 7’

Profile picture
    jez89
    Topics:

Having now seen Chicago 7, the two clear and obvious stand outs are Rylance and Langella. I can’t see any of the others getting nominated.

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

Langella was really good with what he had but are they really going to nominate him for a performance where he’s basically sitting in the same spot the entire time? Over actors who play more nuanced and developed characters?

Profile picture
    Magnus
    Topics:

Langella was really good with what he had but are they really going to nominate him for a performance where he’s basically sitting in the same spot the entire time? Over actors who play more nuanced and developed characters?

To be honest… yeah, maybe.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Is there really gonna be 3 supporting actors from Chicago 7 here? I know this year is barren but wow.

Profile picture
    shrader_loc
    Topics:

Baron Cohen has slightly better reviews and far more buzz (combined with Borat) than his co-stars. He’s closer to winning than missing.

Profile picture
    marty
    Topics:

Honestly was a bit hesitant to predict Baron Cohen (had him 5th place), but seeing all the anti-Trump stuff he pulled for Borat 2 (seriously, living with those qanon nutjobs for 5 days, actually almost getting beaten up at that nazi rally) and the presumably celebratory mood Hollywood is going to be in after Trump losing, plus the political nature of Chicago 7 and his character, I actually do think he’s going to get a lot of votes and might win

FYC:

Best Director - Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Darius Marder (Sound of Metal)

Lead Actor - Delroy Lindo (Da 5 Bloods), Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actor - Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)

Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    Diogo Duarte
    Topics:

1. Daniel Kaluuya, ‘Judas and the Black Messiah’

–  Leslie Odom Jr.- ‘One Night in Miami’ (both in 1, because we don’t receive any news for “Judas” and all this looks weird)

2. Sacha Baron Cohen- ‘The Trial of the Chicago 7

3. Trevante Rhodes – The United States vs Billie Holiday (I don’t think he goes in lead and the character looks promising)

4. Yahya Abdul-Manteen II- The Trial of the Chicago ’

– Mark Rylance, The Trial of Chicago 7 ( I think just Sacha is the safe nomination of the film. Mateen have your Emmy moment and Rylance is incredible. Hard decision.)

5. Arliss Howard, Mank

6. David Strathairn, Nomadland

7. Charles Dance, Mank

8. Chadwick Boseman, Da 5 Blood

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor’ is closed to new replies.