Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 499 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Dan Backslide
wolfali
David
  • Profile picture
    JakeT
    Topics:

1. Daniel Kaluuya, ‘Judas and the Black Messiah’ – Leslie Odom Jr.- ‘One Night in Miami’ (both in 1, because we don’t receive any news for “Judas” and all this looks weird) 2. Sacha Baron Cohen- ‘The Trial of the Chicago 7 3. Trevante Rhodes – The United States vs Billie Holiday (I don’t think he goes in lead and the character looks promising) 4. Yahya Abdul-Manteen II- The Trial of the Chicago ’ – Mark Rylance, The Trial of Chicago 7 ( I think just Sacha is the safe nomination of the film. Mateen have your Emmy moment and Rylance is incredible. Hard decision.) 5. Arliss Howard, Mank 6. David Strathairn, Nomadland 7. Charles Dance, Mank 8. Chadwick Boseman, Da 5 Blood

I’m sad to say it, but there’s no way so many men of colour are nominated by the Academy

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I’m sad to say it, but there’s no way so many men of colour are nominated by the Academy

I do agree there won’t be 5, but 3 seems reasonable, since Best Actress will have only one POC and Supporting Actress will probably have zero. I’m starting to think both One Night in Miami actors make it in, since no one from Mank is getting strong reactions in reviews. Odom Jr. could still easily win in that scenario, since Hodge is by far the least praised of the 4 main characters.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

Profile picture
    Diogo Duarte
    Topics:

Yes. In this case probably Mateen will be out and Rylance take the nomination. Best Actress I believe in 2 black nominations (Andra and Viola), but supp actress probably will be the “all white” acting category.

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

1. Daniel Kaluuya, ‘Judas and the Black Messiah’

– Leslie Odom Jr.- ‘One Night in Miami’ (both in 1, because we don’t receive any news for “Judas” and all this looks weird)

2. Sacha Baron Cohen- ‘The Trial of the Chicago 7

3. Trevante Rhodes – The United States vs Billie Holiday (I don’t think he goes in lead and the character looks promising)

4. Yahya Abdul-Manteen II- The Trial of the Chicago ’

– Mark Rylance, The Trial of Chicago 7 ( I think just Sacha is the safe nomination of the film. Mateen have your Emmy moment and Rylance is incredible. Hard decision.)

5. Arliss Howard, Mank

Normally in rankings if you have a tie in 1st you then skip 2nd go straight to #3. Same applies further down. Just saying.

Profile picture
    Diogo Duarte
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

Normally in rankings if you have a tie in 1st you then skip 2nd go straight to #3. Same applies further down. Just saying.

</p>
    is not a tie. I just believe in Kaluuya being the number one, if the film drops and receive a supp campaingn. but we dont have any information, so i think Odom Jr is the front runner for now.

and Trial… I belive in just two actors nominated in this category, probably Sacha + 1… and I just dont make any idea how they will choose between Mark and Abdul-Mateen.

just explaining.

Profile picture
    jez89
    Topics:

Why are people so confident on Baron Cohen? He was fine but nowhere near being the standout.

Profile picture
    William Gillquist
    Topics:

Why are people so confident on Baron Cohen? He was fine but nowhere near being the standout.

Because he has one of biggest and most prominent role in the film, and overall had the most critically performance in the film (besides Rylance). Which will probably result in Netflix campaigning him the most out of anyone in the cast.

FYC Oscars: Soul (Best Picture, Original Screenplay, and Original Score), Delroy Lindo (Best Actor), Chadwick Boseman (Best Actor), Viola Davis (Best Actress), Paul Raci (Best Supporting Actor)

FYC Golden Globes (TV): Ted Lasso (Best Comedy Series), Jason Sudekis (Best Actor in a Comedy Series), Hannah Waddingham (Best Supporting Actress), The Boys (Best Drama Series), Anthony Starr (Best Actor in a Drama Series)

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

1. Rylance
    2. Baron Cohen
    3. Pelphrey
    4. Odom Jr
    5. Strathairn

Profile picture
    DaKardii
    Topics:

END OF WEEK 9 PREDICTIONS

Best Supporting Actor

1. Leslie Odom, Jr. (One Night in Miami)
    2. Mark Rylance (The Trial of the Chicago 7)
    3. Sacha Baron Cohen (The Trial of the Chicago 7)
    4. Bill Murray (On the Rocks)
    5. Chadwick Boseman (Da 5 Bloods)
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

This is pretty much Kaluuya’s award to lose if he goes supporting. I think he and Hopkins have the best chances at a sweep this year.

Profile picture
    Hayden
    Topics:

This is pretty much Kaluuya’s award to lose if he goes supporting. I think he and Hopkins have the best chances at a sweep this year.

If he goes lead, or Black Messiah is delayed once again, I have no idea who’s actually going to win for this category. Despite the number of contenders, none seem to be in front of the pack. Boseman’s departure is still noticeable…

While it would be fun to say Academy-Award winner Sacha Baron Cohen, I can’t see him winning. He’s literally out-acted by at least three other supporting actors in Chicago 7, let alone other films.

Murray and Langella would be career wins, so I’d be fine with that, but neither feel like they have the right cards to win this year. Good performances though.

Leslie Odom Jr. winning would result in Sam Cooke and Ma Rainey being winning performances that night (given Viola wins), which could be kinda fun even if they’re fictitious takes on the two, but I don’t know how that affects Odom’s odds in the slightest. Can’t say he’s the standout in the clip that’s out either. Could do it, but… not sure. I think he’s going to win for song this year instead.

Based on Mank reviews, I’m doubting Dance will pull ahead. Could, but I’m doubting it.

Rylance… I’m not sure what to think about Rylance’s true chances at this point. Something feels very against him. He’s the only major contender in the race this year with a previous win, and I feel like the Academy will want to have a non-winner awarded given Actor/Actress and possibly even Supporting Actress could all go to people who already have an Oscar under their belt.

It’s a weird category.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I’m starting to think Murray will win the Globe for Supporting Actor, even if he doesn’t win the Oscar.

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Director: George Clooney-The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Actress: Viola Davis-Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo-Da Five Bloods
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried-Mank
    Best Original Screenplay: Soul
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Midnight Sky

Profile picture
    bellajoe
    Topics:

Perhaps we are overestimating Trial altogether. It will have been out for almost half a year by the time the Oscars actually occur, and One Night in Miami, another all male ensemble piece, will be far more fresh. And let’s be honest. In a normal year no one from this cast would be nominated and the film would walk away with a screenplay nomination and possibly lower-half picture. Trial is a good movie no doubt but it is not great. Mateen isn’t getting in; he is being predicted so high because he has had a meteoric success year and people are predicting him hot off his Emmy win, same thing we did a month ago with Strong (who we now know is a non-factor.) SBC was outacted by at least three cast members in this film alone and the novelty of Borat 2 has already largely subsided and will likely not maintain with him all the way through awards season. Rylance just won but a nomination is not off the table, and Langella has the legacy factor. I have the latter 2 in right now but will remove one if Kaluuya is moved here for his victory.

FYC Oscars 2021:
    Best Picture: Nomadland, Malcolm & Marie
    Best Actress: Zendaya, Sophia Loren, Elizabeth Moss
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman, Delroy Lindo
    Best Director: Chloe Zhao, Kelly Reichardt
    Best Documentary: Gunda, Collective
    Best Song: Boss Bitch- Doja Cat

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor’ is closed to new replies.