Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 499 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Dan Backslide
wolfali
David
  • Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

With malek out of contention now I have bomer as a placeholder

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

That’s interesting, cause I feel like Waltz’s performance aged better since a lot of DiCaprio’s buzz was based around his overdue narrative, which hurts conception a bit now that he’s won.

This is kind of noticeable with the Gold Derby awards for example. For that year, this site nominated Waltz and gave DiCaprio the win. But then for our decade awards, Waltz was nominated and DiCaprio was snubbed.

Well, they are wrong, it’s widely considered one of his greatest performances of his career, and he should have been nominated instead of Waltz.

Btw that year in Supporting should have been:
    Winner: PSH (The Master)
    Runner-Up: DiCaprio (Django Unchained)

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

The one of that cast that should have been winning the Oscar was Samuel L. Jackson, much better than DiCaprio.

Profile picture
    BudnP
    Topics:

To be honest, the biggest issue with the nominations for Best Supporting Actor in 2013 wasn’t that Waltz was there… nor that he won – even if I do think Philip Seymour Hoffman was better, giving his greatest performance in The Master.

No, the issue for me is the nomination of Robert De Niro in Silver Linings Playbook and Alan Arkin in Argo. I feel like these nominations have aged badly and no one really talks about these portrayals anymore – especially not compared to the (admittedly, more over-the-top) performances of Bardem and DiCaprio, which are often regarded as some of the peaks of their consecutive performers’ oeuvres.

Profile picture
    Hayden
    Topics:

To be honest, the biggest issue with the nominations for Best Supporting Actor in 2013 wasn’t that Waltz was there… nor that he won – even if I do think Philip Seymour Hoffman was better, giving his greatest performance in The Master. No, the issue for me is the nomination of Robert De Niro in Silver Linings Playbook and Alan Arkin in Argo. I feel like these nominations have aged badly and no one really talks about these portrayals anymore – especially not compared to the (admittedly, more over-the-top) performances of Bardem and DiCaprio, which are often regarded as some of the peaks of their consecutive performers’ oeuvres.

Yeah, I would have preferred Bardem, DiCaprio or Jackson over those two. And nothing against the others, especially Hoffman who was absolutely brilliant, but it would have been a lot more fun for Jackson to have won than somebody who already had an Oscar on their shelf. Wouldn’t of been a handout or anything either, it’s probably my favourite performance by him.

Apologies for the derailment.

Profile picture
    Foolio
    Topics:

Pretty sure Frank Langella will be the flagship nominee for The Trial of the Chicago 7 (especially if SBC and Redmayne are campaigned in Lead where I don’t see them making a dent for now). His character is the juiciest one in a film full of them, and he attacks the part like a hungry wolf. Of course, he also comes packaged with an Overdue Respected Veteran™ narrative.

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Chadwick was always on the cusp of receiving a nomination. Especially early on in his career when every biopic role seemed tailor made for him to eventually win.

His part in Black Bottom would give Hollywood a final shot to reward an actor they’ve wanted to see succeed since day one.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Well, they are wrong, it’s widely considered one of his greatest performances of his career, and he should have been nominated instead of Waltz. Btw that year in Supporting should have been: Winner: PSH (The Master) Runner-Up: DiCaprio (Django Unchained)

Well it’s all subjective. And Waltz’s performance is considered one of the greatest of his career (second only to Inglorious Bastards), so that point goes both ways.

Profile picture
    Gwen
    Topics:

I’m back from Trial of Chicago 7 that shows in some theatres here in Italy. The MVP are for sure Rylance and Yahya, and both Redmayne and SBC have juicy roles: I’m rooting for Jeremy but I think he’s fifth in line :'(

2021 Oscar FYC: Glenn Close, Jeremy Strong, Vanessa Kirby, Delroy Lindo, Daniel Kaluuya

Profile picture
    Magnus
    Topics:

I’m back from Trial of Chicago 7 that shows in some theatres here in Italy. The MVP are for sure Rylance and Yahya, and both Redmayne and SBC have juicy roles: I’m rooting for Jeremy but I think he’s fifth in line :'(

I would say sixth, some loved Frank Langella.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Baron Cohen and Redmayne are going lead though, so they won’t stand in others’ way.

And Redmayne doesn’t have much talk it seems, so I’m pretty sure those supporting men would do better than him anyway.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Pretty sure Frank Langella will be the flagship nominee for The Trial of the Chicago 7 (especially if SBC and Redmayne are campaigned in Lead where I don’t see them making a dent for now). His character is the juiciest one in a film full of them, and he attacks the part like a hungry wolf. Of course, he also comes packaged with an Overdue Respected Veteran™ narrative.

I totally agree, I feel like the two to get in for supporting will most likely be Rylance and Langella imo.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Btw how was Yahya’s screentime??? Because I’m hearing from a number of people that he pretty much leaves the film through the mid way point and some said it could hurt his chances. Other than that I heard he did great, but i guess the screentime could play a factor against him vs the other supporting candidates in the film though. I’m currently predicting Rylance and Langella to get in.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Yeah I think Langella could be underestimated. He’s apparently got the juicey villainous role and really nails it.

However, I wonder if that could hurt him at the same time, as in the current time, voters may prefer one of the more heroic characters.

Right now Rylance seems like the film’s safest bet. I’m currently predicting him and Strong, who’s worked with a lot of people, has great notices, and has his star noticeably rising.

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

Jeremy still being 3rd in the odds is weird. He’s clearly not happening for this, but it’s fine.

He’s gonna win soon enough for that Bernstein-BCoop awards bait.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor’ is closed to new replies.