Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 499 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
Dan Backslide
wolfali
David
  • Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Because I’m hearing from a number of people that he pretty much leaves the film through the mid way point

Almost like it’s a supporting role.

Profile picture
    Hoster1
    Topics:

I would love a Frank Langella nom here, as some kind of mini consolation for having his Tony winning role stolen by Anthony Hopkins lol.

Profile picture
    Dan Backslide
    Topics:

Almost like it’s a supporting role.

Regardless of it being supporting, being absent from a decent chunk of the film can definitely hurt contenders, especially when there’s leads in play.

I would love a Frank Langella nom here, as some kind mini constolation for having his Tony winning role stolen by Anthony Hopkins lol.

I’ve been thinking the same thing. I adore Hopkins and I’m sure he’s just as spectacular as everyone says, but I feel bad for Frank since he likely would’ve gotten huge buzz if he got to do the movie. Also I’m binging through The Americans, so I’m repeatedly being reminded of how amazing he is recently.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The Trial of the Chicago 7 in S. Actor is the Oscars’ equivalent to Mrs. America in S. Actress at the Emmys.

Ironically (but not deliberately) I have ended up predicting Chicago 7 to be snubbed in the same places Mrs. America was at the Emmys.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Foolio
    Topics:

Btw how was Yahya’s screentime??? Because I’m hearing from a number of people that he pretty much leaves the film through the mid way point and some said it could hurt his chances. Other than that I heard he did great, but i guess the screentime could play a factor against him vs the other supporting candidates in the film though. I’m currently predicting Rylance and Langella to get in.

YAM’s contribution is likely not substantial enough for him to be this film’s awards ticket even though he’s wildly good in the role. I have a strong feeling Langella is the one to watch.

Profile picture
    Foolio
    Topics:

Yeah I think Langella could be underestimated. He’s apparently got the juicey villainous role and really nails it.

However, I wonder if that could hurt him at the same time, as in the current time, voters may prefer one of the more heroic characters.

Right now Rylance seems like the film’s safest bet. I’m currently predicting him and Strong, who’s worked with a lot of people, has great notices, and has his star noticeably rising.

Strong is along for the ride but there are about five actors in the driver’s seat that are not him. I can’t see him getting traction for a film with so many tours-de-force showier than his, by stars bigger than him.

Rylance is quite good but he won an Oscar yesterday and his role isn’t as flashy as those of SBC, Redmayne and Langella. Langella has the time of his life in a role that will leave absolutely no-one cold. Add to that the overdue veteran narrative. He could build up major momentum.

Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

Might swap out Rylance for Langella but I’ll wait for the movie to drop and for the reviews

rubbish

Profile picture
    Gwen
    Topics:

Btw how was Yahya’s screentime??? Because I’m hearing from a number of people that he pretty much leaves the film through the mid way point and some said it could hurt his chances. Other than that I heard he did great, but i guess the screentime could play a factor against him vs the other supporting candidates in the film though. I’m currently predicting Rylance and Langella to get in.

He stays for about 3/4 of the movie’s lenght, I would say for 90/100 minutes (on 135), but he’s the center of Trial’s most dramatic and infuriating moment, and he’s very good. He stands a chance for sure, is probably third after Rylance and Langella

(BTW thanks for the clarification on the actors alleged categories: I think SBC is first and Redmayne second for a Best Actor nomination, but I don’t know how much chance either of them have, that field is crowded)

2021 Oscar FYC: Glenn Close, Jeremy Strong, Vanessa Kirby, Delroy Lindo, Daniel Kaluuya

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

1. Boseman
    2. Rylance
    3. Dance
    4. Murray
    5. Langella

Profile picture
    Foolio
    Topics:

I think SBC is first and Redmayne second for a Best Actor nomination, but I don’t know how much chance either of them have, that field is crowded

I don’t think they’re going to be able to break through either. Both act like their lives depend on it but they’re essentially supporting. Their character arcs just aren’t all that substantial.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

I don’t think they’re going to be able to break through either. Both act like their lives depend on it but they’re essentially supporting. Their character arcs just aren’t all that substantial.

You have seen the movie or you’re just speculating??

Profile picture
    Foolio
    Topics:

You have seen the movie or you’re just speculating??

I have seen the movie.

Profile picture
    David
    Topics:

Yea I’m thinking Rylance and Langella are the safest and more likely bets.

Profile picture
    Kay
    Topics:

I just want Eddie to score another nom pretty please

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

The fact that everyone on this thread has a different standout they think will be nominated for Chicago 7 only proves my point…

Fuck the Grammys

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 499 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actor’ is closed to new replies.