Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 10)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 515 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
SN
Philip
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Part 10 is now open.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Variety to honor Glenn Close with Creative Impact in Acting award

https://variety.com/2021/biz/news/glenn-close-creative-impact-acting-award-10-directors-to-watch-1234905561/

the irony when the variety pundit refuses to put her in his predictions!

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

Current Prediction:

Glenn Close, Hillbilly Elegy
    Olivia Colman, The Father
    Amanda Seyfried, Mank
    Youn Yuh-jung, Minari
    Helena Zengel, News of the World

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    John Nguyen
    Topics:

Hey Chris can you ban monsoon please?

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Hey Chris can you ban monsoon please?

What the hell did Monsoon do?

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Dominique Fishback
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

Profile picture
    Monsoon 🌊
    Topics:

What the hell did Monsoon do?

Nada. He’s looking for attention and I won’t give it to him.

👑Cicely Tyson (1924-2021)
    👑Mary Wilson (1944-2021)

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Amanda Seyfried better get nominated

FYC:

Best Actor :
    Riz Ahmed for Sound Of Metal
    Delroy Lindo for Da 5 Bloods
    Gary Oldman for Mank

Best Actress:
    Andra Day for The United States vs Billie Holiday
    Vanessa Kirby for Pieces of a Woman

Best Supporting Actor:
    Daniel Kaluuya for Judas and the Black Messiah
    Paul Raci for Sound Of Metal

Best Supporting Actress:
    Amanda Seyfried for Mank
    Helena Zengel for News of the World

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’ve been predicting Colman to win the Globe for so long but I’ve just realised something.

Apart from Carol every film this decade that was the most nominated film at the Golden Globes has gone home with at least one Globe.

I don’t think she’ll win the Oscar over any of Close, Colman or Youn but considering Mank is the most nominated film at the Globes this year and it has no chance in winning any of Motion Picture – Drama, Director, Actor – Drama and Screenplay are we underestimating the possibility of Seyfried winning the Globe?

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I’ve been predicting Colman to win the Globe for so long but I’ve just realised something.

Apart from Carol every film this decade that was the most nominated film at the Golden Globes has gone home with at least one Globe.

I don’t think she’ll win the Oscar over any of Close, Colman or Youn but considering Mank is the most nominated film at the Globes this year and it has no chance in winning any of Motion Picture – Drama, Director, Actor – Drama and Screenplay are we underestimating the possibility of Seyfried winning the Globe?

Mank could be another Carol, or it could win Score. But I can see Seyfried happening.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Mank could be another Carol, or it could win Score. But I can see Seyfried happening.

That’s a good point I forgot about Score. I feel more at ease at not predicting Seyfried now because I’ve always been predicting it to win Score.

It feels like a bigger player than Carol considering it got into Screenplay there which Carol failed to do.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

Variety to honor Glenn Close with Creative Impact in Acting award

https://variety.com/2021/biz/news/glenn-close-creative-impact-acting-award-10-directors-to-watch-1234905561/

the irony when the variety pundit refuses to put her in his predictions!

If she wins I could see him being replaced.

Profile picture
    Calvin
    Topics:

Happy Korean New Year! Wonderful, wonderful.  

FYC:

Picture - Minari, Nomadland, Another Round, Promising Young Woman
    Director - Chloe Zhao (Nomadland), Lee Isaac Chung (Minari), Thomas Vinterberg (Another Round), Emerald Fennell (Promising Young Woman)
    Actor - Steven Yeun (Minari), Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal)
    Actress - Carey Mulligan (Promising Young Woman), Frances McDormand (Nomadland)
    S. Actor - Daniel Kaluuya (Judas and the Black Messiah), Paul Raci (Sound of Metal)
    S. Actress - Youn Yuh-jung (Minari)

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Nada. He’s looking for attention and I won’t give it to him.

That’s what I figured LOL

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Dominique Fishback
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Close, Colman and Youn are nomination locks and imo one of Zengel and Bakalova are definitely getting in (I am still sceptical about two newcomers getting in because of the tendencies in this category to go towards but it is hard to see a lineup that doesn’t include one or the other).

Those last spot is for grabs. It could be that Bakalova AND Zengel get in although something (completely baseless) tells me they’ll miss. How often has SAG gone 5/5 in this category with predicting Academy Award nominees.

Ellen Burstyn getting a BAFTA nomination would make me more likely to predict her because even though there are 12 BAFTA (and some AMPAS) members on that jury her getting in would tell me that after watching the film (and perhaps liking it) that voters have found themselves impressed by her performance whilst watching Kirby’s and that she can coattail. However why didn’t she get in at SAG when her peers basically idolise her?

Amanda Seyfried is in a film that is top 10 for Best Picture so that does help her chances but that SAG snub is still provoking a cause for concern. When Gary Oldman managed to get in at SAG why did the scene stealing and showy ingenue fail to get in? I feel like she could be the Andrew Garfield to Gary Oldman’s Jesse Eisenberg but nonetheless I have her in my top 8.

Jodie Foster is an interesting one because here comes a two time Academy Award winner in their most high profile acting performance for a while with late buzz that seems to be growing but this film is not getting nominated for Best Picture (even if it is in the top 15 as I’m thinking). But then again does she need to be in a Best Picture nominee to get in when Kathy Bates managed to get in last year? Whilst her getting a BAFTA nomination will tell us very little about how the British bloc will vote what we do know soo far is that even if her film isn’t a big contender it does have industry support. The fact it got long-listed in 11 categories at BAFTA and that both Rahim and Foster got long-listed at AACTA shows us that The Mauritanian does have some form of industry support. With Foster and Rahim having an additional boost in their buzz with their Globe nominations they definitely are in the top 8 of both their categories so whilst The Mauritanian isn’t going to be a big contender I do think they do have a shot at getting in.

The fact Judas has been under-performing thus far makes me feel confident in ruling out Dominique Fishback who suffers from a lack of name recognition and also if Olivia Cooke can’t get in on the BAFTA long-list and she is British then why would she get an Oscar nomination?

Profile picture
    Naiad Lyne
    Topics:

When Gary Oldman managed to get in at SAG why didn’t the scene stealing and showy ingenue fail to get in? I feel like she could be the Andrew Garfield to Gary Oldman’s Jesse Eisenberg but nonetheless I have her in my top 8.

Her fellow actors seem not to consider her performance scene stealing and showy enough, apparently. Maybe they thought that playing such ingenue is superficial or something. Which is sad.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 515 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.