Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 10)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 515 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
SN
Philip
  • Profile picture
    CuriousHedgehog
    Topics:

Again I really am not buying both Bakalova and Zengel making it in. They will both probably make it in at BAFTA (although I need to see Zengel’s performance before I am sure of this) but it would be very rare for the Academy to nominate two newcomers in supporting actress when there is a bias towards older actors and veterans here. As a genuine question when was the last time this happened? The closest I can think of is when Nyong’o won but Lawrence was already an Academy Award winner and the it girl of the moment.

I would agree with this, I think Zengel (who’s performance I haven’t seen btw) has the child bias against her, which is why I don’t have her predicted. I feel like Bakalova is the more probable of the two.

FYC:

Best Screenplay: Never Rarely Sometimes Always (Eliza Hitman)
    Best Actress: Sidney Flanigan ("Never Rarely Sometimes Always")

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think Colman is the only nomination lock. Youn missed AACTA even though Minari made it into Picture. It’s probably safe to say that AACTA has a race problem, but still, an unusual snub for such an acclaimed performance.

Except Youn got nominated at SAG (who don’t take to performances from films that aren’t in he English language) and Minari got so many nominations at SAG. Then you have the fact it over-performed massively at CC and that she’s likely to get in at BAFTA with the juried system.

I don’t see how she misses because I think Minari is a top 5 player at the Oscars too so it would be weird for it to get in but not for its most buzzed about/acclaimed aspect.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

I don’t think she got nominated for The Wife due to the overdue narrative. Similar to Albert Nobbs, it was a fantastic, mostly quiet performance worth nominating. A win would have been partly due to the narrative but the performance itself was excellent.

Re: other comments, I have to add no one makes fun of Judi Dench’s win, even if it’s similar to Gwyneth’s where Miramax’s campaigning played a big role, and it’s far from Judi’s best role as well. It’s because of her legendary status and legacy of amazing performances. Glenn will just be similar, if she wins. It’s not like the industry will suddenly lose respect for her for finally winning the Oscar.

Great let her win, but you know people are gonna bitch when she actually as a worthy role and doesn’t win. Next it will be, OMG Glenn needs a lead Oscar now. Blah blah blah.

#12 for 2021 SAG Film Award Winners.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Ok I’m taking Zengel out of my predictions. She feels like she’ll be the annual snub that gets in everywhere.

She did get into SAG but I cannot see how an unknown (who happens to be a child) in a 8 to 12 Picture player is higher than 5th. I also think News of the World will be the annual Picture nominee that gets in but without any directing, acting or writing support. Maybe if she wins the Globe but I don’t see it. I hope I’m wrong because I will be rooting for her regardless after having seen her in her German film (which was so robbed awards wise!) I am not ruling her out completely though. That would be ridiculous.

I currently have Foster in 5th. She’s been campaigning a lot, she’s a two time winner, has recency bias and even though it won’t go anywhere else apart from maybe Actor, we know The Mauritanian has support from its AACTA long-list mentions and 11 BAFTA long-list mentions. I anticipate that it might have a similar BAFTA haul to <i>The Two Popes </i>(although it will not get in for Adapted Screenplay of course).

Another alternative is Ellen Burstyn. She’s also been campaigning a lot and like Christopher Plummer (RIP) she has the narrative of being the oldest Oscar nominee for acting if she’s nominated. She’s also in a film we know voters will watch because of Kirby’s performance so she could coattail. But that SAG snub was damning.

Dominique Fishback is in a film that is top 12 for Picture but after watching Judas and the Black Messiah I honestly will be shocked if she gets in. At best she’s the Margot Robbie in The Wolf of Wall Street in this film imo (an unknown with a strong performance but isn’t prominent throughout her film and is outstarred by two other performers). Olivia Cooke was EXCELLENT in Sound of Metal but if she can’t make the BAFTA long-list and she is British then why would she make the Oscars? I hope I’m wrong.

1. Olivia Colman, The Father
    2. Yuh-jung Youn, Minari
    3. Maria Bakalova, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
    4. Glenn Close, Hillbilly Elegy
    5. Jodie Foster, The Mauritanian

6. Helena Zengel, News of the World
    7. Amanda Seyfried, Mank
    8. Ellen Burstyn, Pieces of a Woman
    9. Swankie, Nomadland
    10. Priyanka Chopra, The White Tiger/Dominique Fishback/Olivia Cooke/None of these are happening

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Zengel got the Globe, SAG, CC and she’ll probably get BAFTA too. That’s a lot for a child performance and unlike Bakalova she is in a BP contender. Jacob Tremblay got only SAG and he was in a stronger film which his co-star was locked. I feel mostly confident she’s happening.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

1. Olivia Colman, The Father
    2. Yuh-jung Youn, Minari
    3. Maria Bakalova, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
    4. Glenn Close, Hillbilly Elegy
    5. Jodie Foster, The Mauritanian

6. Helena Zengel, News of the World
    7. Amanda Seyfried, Mank
    8. Ellen Burstyn, Pieces of a Woman
    9. Swankie, Nomadland
    10. Priyanka Chopra, The White Tiger

Priyanka Chopra Jones ahead of Dominique Fishback? Good luck with that.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Priyanka Chopra Jones ahead of Dominique Fishback? Good luck with that.

Neither are happening, so it doesn’t really matter.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Neither are happening, so it doesn’t really matter.

That’s fair.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I’m adamant about not predicting Bakalova. I just can’t convince myself that she’s happening.

Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

I’m adamant about not predicting Bakalova. I just can’t convince myself that she’s happening.

From your lips to voters ears.

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

I don’t think she got nominated for The Wife due to the overdue narrative. Similar to Albert Nobbs, it was a fantastic, mostly quiet performance worth nominating. A win would have been partly due to the narrative but the performance itself was excellent. Re: other comments, I have to add no one makes fun of Judi Dench’s win, even if it’s similar to Gwyneth’s where Miramax’s campaigning played a big role, and it’s far from Judi’s best role as well. It’s because of her legendary status and legacy of amazing performances. Glenn will just be similar, if she wins. It’s not like the industry will suddenly lose respect for her for finally winning the Oscar.

Was Dame Judi expected to win for Mrs. Brown? If yes, I can see the link between them. Also, kudos to your last sentence. I mean no one lost their respect when the young Elizabeth Taylor won with her weak performance, why should they troll the legend?

Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

Was Dame Judi expected to win for Mrs. Brown? If yes, I can see the link between them. Also, kudos to your last sentence. I mean no one lost their respect when the young Elizabeth Taylor won with her weak performance, why should they troll the legend?

Most people rank Taylor’s win as one of the worst in the category…

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It would be funny if Jodie Foster gets nominated over Zengel and vice-versa lol.

Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

It would be funny if Jodie Foster gets nominated over Zengel and vice-versa lol.

I’m very excited to see Foster’s performance in about an hour. Honestly, Unless she is dreadful, I can’t imagine not supporting a nod. This category is such a shit show

Profile picture
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Topics:

Darling, same. She isn’t getting nominated for that unclassy, disgusting turn. Not at the Oscars.

As a famous singer said, "ain't nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!"

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 515 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.