Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 10)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 515 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
SN
Philip
  • Profile picture
    rydemac
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”> </p> Because she’s Glenn Close and she has 15 Golden Globes nominations. Also, she is great in the movie. She might take Globes and SAG, but I can’t picture her winning the Oscar for a performance in a panned movie that has 25% on Rotten Tomatoes. There’s no precendent for it in modern history.

Precedents are meant to be broken. Especially when you’re talking about the actress with the most nominations (7!!) without a win, i.e. the most overdue of them all.

Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

Precedents are meant to be broken. Especially when you’re talking about the actress with the most nominations (7!!) without a win, i.e. the most overdue of them all.

That has never stopped the academy before. They have let multiple stars go unrewarded.

#12 for 2021 SAG Film Award Winners.

Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

I don’t know if anyone has posted about this. I just realized that no one in a Fincher movie has ever won any acting award at the Oscars, GG, or BAFTA for their performance in his movies.

I was predicting Amanda to win GG. Now I’m not sure.

that would have helped pundits months ago prior to them going all in with seyfried. Everyone keeps trying to find alternates in this race and keep on striking out. Its like groundhog day in this sub.

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

Darlings.. Colman is going to win again I can feel it.

There’s a reason she’s double nominated. This is the reason. It’s so clear that she’s going to win this because they LOVE her and the movie she’s in. There’s almost no way they will make her lose after gave her three (unexpected) win.

Glenn Close is her closest competitor. Globe has always been the ones who change the race and they perhaps want to strengthen Close’s narative, but they seem not to leave The Father unrewarded.

Profile picture
    Philip
    Topics:

There’s a reason she’s double nominated. This is the reason. It’s so clear that she’s going to win this because they LOVE her and the movie she’s in. There’s almost no way they will make her lose after gave her three (unexpected) win.

Glenn Close is her closest competitor. Globe has always been the ones who change the race and they perhaps want to strengthen Close’s narative, but they seem not to leave The Father unrewarded.

Only 1 of her wins was unexpected. She was the frontrunner to win for The Favourite. She was in 2nd behind Aniston, so again, not unexpected.

#12 for 2021 SAG Film Award Winners.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

If Glenn loses the GG I don’t see her winning the Oscar at all. In fact, if that happens, I’ll feel even more comfortable in my Youn Yuh-jung prediction. She’s the critics favourite, has a SAG nomination and she’s the one with the biggest passion. I haven’t seen a single person who hasn’t liked her performance. Olivia just won a lead Oscar and I don’t see why they would want to give her a second this early, not to mention her performance seems to be lacking in passion. Also, I don’t understand this obsession with The Father having to win something at the GG. Several movies have done just as well in nominations, if not better, and still tanked in wins.

(And before yall call me a hater, I love Olivia with a capital L. And I haven’t seen The Father yet. Looking forward to it)

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Colman could win in an open category but there isn’t always this overriding reason why actors are nominated twice at the Globes. I mean, why wouldn’t they nominate her for both roles? Even someone not intending to vote for her to win either category might still have supported both her nominations. And I doubt the HFPA would lose sleep over Colman going empty-handed this year when she’s won three Globes in such a short space of time.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Only 1 of her wins was unexpected

Oh no that win for The Crown was definitely seen as unexpected. A bit similar to how Glenn Close’s win was unexpected even though she was 2nd in the odds. People were proclaiming Aniston as a lock to win on here like they were with Gaga. I don’t know if I was predicting Colman but there definitely was a shock on here.

And of course her win for The Night Manager was definitely unexpected.

Colman could win in an open category but there isn’t always this overriding reason why actors are nominated twice at the Globes. I mean, why wouldn’t they nominate her for both roles? Even someone not intending to vote for her to win either category might still have supported both her nominations. And I doubt the HFPA would lose sleep over Colman going empty-handed this year when she’s won three Globes in such a short space of time.

I disagree with the idea that she’ll win simply because she’s nominated twice but I do think it’s a sign of strength for her and for her projects. The HFPA scarcely nominate people twice (look at Scarlett Johansson missing for Jojo Rabbit whilst getting in for Marriage Story, Kaitlyn Dever missing for Booksmart whilst getting in for Unbelievable, Leslie Odom-Jr. missing for Hamilton whilst getting in for One Night in Miami etc). So whilst I don’t think getting in twice particularly makes you win competitive (look at Amy Adams losing for Sharp Objects in spite of also having a nomination for Vice or Bill Murray losing for Olive Kitteridge in spite of also having a nomination for St Vincent) I do think the fact Baron Cohen, Colman and Taylor-Joy have gotten in twice is a sign of individual strength.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Jajajajjaja
    Topics:

Idk what to feel if Glenn win an Oscar for Hillbily Elegy. Sure she is overdue, but her win will provide another material for Ben Stiller and co to make another Tropic Thunder to mock her Oscar win plus last year’s Joaquin Phoenix win

Profile picture
    VedanthM
    Topics:

This. Her getting nominated twice isn’t reason enough for her to have 1 win. She deserved to be nominated, that’s why she got a nomination. It doesn’t translate into a win

Profile picture
    Pinkpie48
    Topics:

If Glenn loses this time, I hope she isn’t as much of a sore loser as she was with The Wife. I understand her frustration, but that did her no favors.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

If Glenn loses this time, I hope she isn’t as much of a sore loser as she was with The Wife. I understand her frustration, but that did her no favors.

Lol she wasn’t a sore loser. If you had everyone around you saying you were locked for that win, you would’ve reacted the same way. She reacted better than many did in the same situation.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

How is this being sore? She seemed like she responded nicely to Olivia’s compliment.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    manakamana
    Topics:

Being double-nominated isn’t inherently enough but already being on a winning streak and being apart of two projects that the Globes loved enough to give top-shelf nominations doesn’t seem insignificant to me, especially if one of her nominated categories doesn’t currently have a clear frontrunner, and the film she’s nominated for probably won’t win any other category (Chadwick’s just not losing, IMO).

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Again, “The Father” doesn’t have to be represented anywhere for a win. I only have Hopkins winning ATM, b/c it’s insane that he’s never won a competitive Globe. But he could easily lose to Chadwick. Close wasn’t a sore loser during any of her Oscar losses. Parody movies? The reaching here is ridiculous. Come on, Sunday night already.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 515 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.