Home Forums Movies Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 11)

Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 11)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 501 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
crabbie
Aimerarrow
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Keep discussing in Part 11.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Only 24 hours till we find out who is winning here lol.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Barbra please
    Topics:

If Glenn Close lost at the Globes, her chances of getting snubbed at the Oscars would be increased… right?

Profile picture
    manakamana
    Topics:

Regardless of tomorrow, I’m predicting Youn Yuh-jung is winning, assuming Minari is as strong as it seems. People are watching these movies, and they’re not that stupid. They’ll like Minari better than Hillbilly Elegy and know which old grandma performance is better (and it’s not Glenn’s, sorry stans).

I feel like a lot of Glenn stans are overthinking this like they did in 2018. They were obviously watching The Favourite, and it didn’t take a damn rocket scientist to know that Olivia’s performance was on a whole other level to the movie that’s best watched in an airplane that y’all pretended Glenn was entitled to. It’s only a clearer choice this year.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Only 24 hours till we find out who is winning here lol.

Youn wasn’t nominated, so I think you’re wrong here.

Profile picture
    ArtIsntEasy
    Topics:

In terms of the Globes, this is a nail-biter of a category.

I honestly could see a scenario where they try to push Close out of the gate again.

However, Seyfried seems like a Globes kind of selection (for some reason I keep thinking back to when Portman won for CLOSER over Blanchett and Madsen…not to mention Portman got snubbed at SAG).

Then you have Colman, a Globes favorite in a film that was loved by the HFPA (same as MANK). I don’t want to rule her out.

Frankly, the only one I would completely rule out is Zengel. For some reason, I even had a weird feeling about Foster somehow sneaking in but I really don’t foresee it in the end.

I do think it’s odd to have Seyfried be the only win for MANK but I’m going to predict her to win the Globe.

In terms of who will win the Oscar? I am praying that Youn will pull it off but if she doesn’t…then fuck it, just give it to Close and call it a day.

“The art of making art is putting it together...”

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

However, Seyfried seems like a Globes kind of selection (for some reason I keep thinking back to when Portman won for CLOSER over Blanchett and Madsen…not to mention Portman got snubbed at SAG). 

That’s a very different SAG than we know now. Back then, there’s no other award body predicting for Oscar, even GG wasn’t predictive and manipulative like it is now.

If we compare to Regina King, yes, it’s quite similar if the same story happens. However, Seyfried is no (then) three-time Emmy winner King, so she perhaps cannot follow the same route.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Youn wasn’t nominated, so you’re wrong here.

Well my (flawed and slightly hopedicting) argument here is that if Seyfried wins the Globe that Youn will win SAG and the Oscar.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Jazzy
    Topics:

I feel like a lot of Glenn stans are overthinking this like they did in 2018. They were obviously watching The Favourite, and it didn’t take a damn rocket scientist to know that Olivia’s performance was on a whole other level to the movie that’s best watched in an airplane that y’all pretended Glenn was entitled to.

I saw the Favorite and thought that Rachel Weisz was the MVP whereas Olivia’s performance was just ok. Olivia lost both the SAG and the CC, and even with a tie at CC she still lost. So obviously not everybody thought that her performance was “on a whole other level”.

FYC: Vanessa Kirby - Pieces of a Woman

Profile picture
    manakamana
    Topics:

I saw the Favorite and thought that Rachel Weisz was the MVP whereas Olivia’s performance was just ok. Olivia lost both the SAG and the CC, and even with a tie at CC she still lost. So obviously not everybody thought that her performance was “on a whole other level”.

1) Lmao at the Critics Choice being 2 out of your 3 supporting arguments here, as if they don’t rig random convenient ties to happen in major categories more often than is statistically possible in their relatively short history. Colman won Comedy Actress from them that year, anyways.

2) I wasn’t comparing Olivia’s performance to Rachel’s, I was comparing it to Glenn’s in The Wife. A movie that no one will remember 10 years from now.

Profile picture
    PeytonKawai
    Topics:

Youn wasn’t nominated, so you’re wrong here. Reply0IGNOREReport SPAMCopy URLQuote

Colman was far better than other contenders in 2018.

Critics Choice tried to predict Oscar winners, and they just thought it was either Gaga or Close.

SAG members also thought it was Close’s year like Julianne Moore for Still Alice. And I think The Favourite should have been nominated for Best Ensemble, but it wasn’t. So the film itself wasn’t seen or recognised enough at the SAGs.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Is it me or Glennie just got shortlisted for the Razzies 😂😂😂🤣. Razzielly Elegy indeed.

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

I want either Seyfried or Zengel to win

Andra Day should be winning Best Actress

Profile picture
    Jazzy
    Topics:

Colman won Comedy Actress from them that year, anyways.

Which isn’t a precursor.

And I think The Favourite should have been nominated for Best Ensemble, but it wasn’t. So the film itself wasn’t seen or recognised enough at the SAGs.

They saw it plenty, as all 3 actresses were nominated.

FYC: Vanessa Kirby - Pieces of a Woman

Profile picture
    musterd
    Topics:

It’s 2021 and there are people still trying to argue that Colman’s performance in The Favourite wasn’t regarded as more acclaimed than the rest?

She won twice the number of prizes compared to the next actress on the list who wasn’t even nominated for the Oscar in the end, and this doesn’t even include the European prizes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2021 Predictions: Best Supporting Actress (Part 11)’ is closed to new replies.